• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen A question that has baffled every Professor since Crystal...

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
Years
  • Are you a boy or a girl?

In every Pokemon main series games, the professor always asks you of your gender, which should have been quite obvious unless they are all blind, but here is the question!

Who are you going to choose? The female one, who might be May, or the male one, who might be Brendan?

Discuss!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I prefer playing as my own gender in games where the protagonist is silent and is meant for you to "fill in their thoughts," so I will be playing as a female regardless of whether or not May returns.

(I also just realized, but the professors started asking about your gender in Crystal, definitely not way back in Red and Green)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2017
    I've never really played as a female, and I don't see why I should change that. I'll stick with Brendan.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I'm playing as a guy, like how I always do when I play a game in the first playthrough.

Pinta77

Definately brendan. I wanna play as 3d Brendan somewhere other than mount battle.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • GIRL

I always play as a girl on my permanent files. Besides, customization is probably gonna be back and they're probably still gonna have more girl options. I'll be playing as a boy on a few challenge files and that though.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • If these are full remakes as Satoru stated, then I'm positive we will see the return of Brendan/May. The only reason they introduced Lyra into HGSS was because during the time of Gold & Silver there was no option to choose male or female.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    If these are full remakes as Satoru stated, then I'm positive we will see the return of Brendan/May. The only reason they introduced Lyra into HGSS was because during the time of Gold & Silver there was no option to choose male or female.
    I don't believe that's the reason Lyra was introduced. I mean, there's no reason they couldn't have used Kris.
    Lyra still greatly resembles Kris' in my opinion. I get the feeling the designers originally started off making something closer to Kris' original design but made some changes on a whim that took the final design in a totally different direction. Since the design was such a large departure from Kris they decided to treat it as a new character altogether.

I don't have any proof on that, mind you, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • I'm going as a girl like all my permanent files of that set of games. P:

But I'm intrigued by Brendan's hat now...

Years
  • I'll be playing as the female trainer again because duh, I am female myself.

Not to mention I think May's pretty adorable, not as much as my absolute fave female protagonists but hey she's still awesome in her own right. She's pretty much a real badass adorable.

If these are full remakes as Satoru stated, then I'm positive we will see the return of Brendan/May. The only reason they introduced Lyra into HGSS was because during the time of Gold & Silver there was no option to choose male or female.

I agree, given Ruby & Sapphire was the first paired version of a generation to have both a male and female protagonist I'm assuming we'll have Brendan and May returning, but maybe with new outfits. The reason Lyra was included in HeartGold & SoulSilver was due to no female protagonist present in the original Gold & Silver.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    In every Pokemon main series games, the professor always asks you of your gender, which should have been quite obvious unless they are all blind, but here is the question!

! You mean ever since Crystal. There wasn't any boy/girl option in RBGY, or GS.

I would rather play as Brendan, because I am male and seeing Brendan as an incompetent rival is quite lame. I can see why May isn't competing much, because she's going through contests and filling the dex, but a guy like Brendan... well, I don't see why he would stop at Lilycove and never battle us again.

Besides, I'm male myself, sooo...

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
    Years
  • May/the female of course, in my main file. (AS)

Hopefully this time I can get both games, so I'll use Brendan/the male in the secondary file (OR)

Yukari

I've stuck with the male character in every game I've played for very obvious reasons.

But, hey, if I end up getting both then I'll use Brendan on one, and May on the other.

Years
  • I'll go ahead and stay as a boy this time around, considering how there'll most definitely be online interaction in this game. I used to choose the girl for the hell of it back in the day though.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • I have picked the Girl Option before based on hats alone. (diamond male had awful hat.)

Now that not a problem.

THEY MUST GIVE US BRENDAN'S HAT! Only so we can choose NOT to ever wear it.

(I swear I thought he had white hair for years.)

Princess Diana

the people's princess
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I'll be male, as always. BUT if I get both games (which I very well may) then I will be male on ORuby and female on ASapphire.

Back