• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Acclaimed anime that you dislike because reasons

Years
  • Oh, well, depends on your taste, but I do suggest you to watch if if you like "retro" anime. You might like it or not, but it will surely not be a waste of time.

My biggest obstacle is not wanting to put the effort into finding a source to watch it. Hell, I think I may actually have a service that it's hosted on already (Funimation, if any). It's just not urgently atop my "WATCH THIS NOW" list.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • I don't think that I have any dislike towards any anime; I easily forget any horrible content I've viewed. Plus none of whatever I 'dislike' is considered acclaimed lol. I don't have feelings potent enough to like hate an anime or its writing (as being 'shallow' to quote a reply xP) because I have better things to care about.

Never heard about FLCL. Never particularly cared about NGE. Even those animes of SoL sports like Free and Haikyuu don't incite anything in me (in spite of constantly being on my tumblr dashboard lol). Some stuff I find ridiculous and stupid and cliche but would I dislike it? Unlikely. I just wouldn't watch it. Simple as that.

Years
  • In general,I dislike animes that have too much fanservice.But the anime that probably irks me whenever I hear it's name,is SAO.Originally I did love it when I saw,but over time,I just started to get annoyed every time I heard it mentioned.It's just that,there's more to anime than SAO.It's not the only anime that exists.

Last edited:

Lunaturret

[B]The Forgotten[/B]
    Years
  • I don't think that I have any dislike towards any anime; I easily forget any horrible content I've viewed. Plus none of whatever I 'dislike' is considered acclaimed lol. I don't have feelings potent enough to like hate an anime or its writing (as being 'shallow' to quote a reply xP) because I have better things to care about.

Never heard about FLCL. Never particularly cared about NGE. Even those animes of SoL sports like Free and Haikyuu don't incite anything in me (in spite of constantly being on my tumblr dashboard lol). Some stuff I find ridiculous and stupid and cliche but would I dislike it? Unlikely. I just wouldn't watch it. Simple as that.

I love how you explained this as to me this is usually how i feel hate is such a strong word and i dont think iv ever felt the need to hate an anime. Your explanation seem most fitting to this subject to me i believe. Thanks :)

Years
  • Gurren Laggan;. The show was hyped up so much by many friends and the folks of a mecha forum I visit that I was somewhat underwhelmed and felt it didn't live up to said hype. Granted, it was ok, but what started as a tongue in cheek anime based around having a laugh at common mecha tropes turned into an old spice commercial with robots.

I almost gave up on watching Gundam Unicorn due to Playstation only having the sub, and I personally feel like if I wanted to read the script, I could've went onto a wiki. Xbox had the dub though, so yay Microsoft? Anyways while I don't hate it, I feel like adding in that series completely screwed up the timeline since the ending basically creates a situation where the Earth government pretty much shouldn't have any real power any more yet somehow do until Victory Gundam.

Sword Art Online is also rather disappointing in my eyes because I was expecting to see the characters act in a way real people would act while playing an MMORPG, but everyone in the series acts far too serious about things like joining and leaving guilds, especially near the end of the first season where that kind of crap is trivial. I wanted to see random encounter battles and the like, but the most you get is a couple of boss fights(maybe 3 or four), a handful of PC vs PC battles, and the rest of the airtime is taken up by the two main characters trying to cyber with each other in a virtual playhouse

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2024
    In general,I dislike animes that have too much fanservice.But the anime that probably irks me whenever I hear it's name,is SAO.Originally I did love it when I saw,but over time,I just started to get annoyed every time I heard it mentioned.It's just that,there's more to anime than SAO.It's not the only anime that exists.

While it is true that SAO is overhyped, I believe most people are fans because of the Light Novel. Not sure how it is with the main route but the progressive arc is quite good in my opinion. But it is true that it will gets annoying if you constantly read how godly amazing the anime they think it is, but as you mentioned it's not.

ON TOPIC!
    While so many Animes exist now it's hard to find one that can entertain you properly. Mahouka is one of them. While Madhouse did what they could it still is highly recommended to read the Novels to get the best experience. The same thing is with Oregairu. While the anime was mediocre the novel does it's job best. Also a reason why it got an award for being a good light Novel. But there always is a limit.

Personaly what really annoys me are following Animes that get way to overhyped.

Akame ga Kill!

The show starts off amazing and also makes you want to know more, but overtime I questioned myself how did we end up here. The fact that everyone died is a "nice" touch, so you won't have a feeling of "friendship saves everything" feeling, but at the same time it kinda got just exaggerrated. The weapon just got more and more stronger but I believe there always should be a limit of how "creative" the weapon is. I think during the middle part with ezdeath ability and some other character I was done. And also that ending. It feels like it got smacked right into your face without a clear explenation. Also why is it called AKAME ga kill! if AKAME barly gets any screen time? and also the romance of tatsumi and Mai is still bugging because of no character development.
    .....I think i will get hated for that show because mostly its just me.

Same for this but Attack on Titan!

while I truly enjoyed the show it really bugs me that so many people won't get over it. It's the same thing with SAO ....kinda. THe Story IS refreshing and also something that never came out before in the Anime world...I think. But the plot kinda really felt akwared and When Eren turned into a Titan I felt like....wow really? As time flew by the show was well done. But not as much as the people praised to be. After I watched it I was amazed how long this community fangirled about every single detail.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Everything mentioned deserves the praise, imo. Strange to see people disliking Gainax; they're like a pillar-stone of modern anime. FLCL, NGE, Gunbuster, Nadia, Gurren Lagann... amazing series with great animation and all have their unique drawing points.

Just need somebody to bash on Macross, Ghibli and Dragon Ball; then we're close to a full set.

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2018
    Despite all its budget problems, gender stereotypes, and hit-and-miss animation, absolutely loved the original Macross and DYRL. Every subsequent Macross though has been a painful blob of fanservice and superficiality. If any of those are acclaimed (pretty sure some are) then yes, I'll be willing to be that person who adds a bunch of Macross to the list.

Dragon Ball's big issue is the mountain of intentional filler that makes it impossible to watch the show in its completeness without dedicating real-time years to watching it all. With serious editing it has the potential to be amazing; it's basically nothing but character development--even most of the fights. Maybe Kai fixed this. So yes, I'll be that person too.

Ghibli is untouchable ;*)

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2016
    I've always thought that Toradora was incredibly cringey and the dialogue was laughable. There were enjoyable moments but overall i felt that the characters were all cut-and-paste and the concept pandered.

Years
  • What I've seen of Toradora definitely wasn't all that good. Definitely made me cringe a fair bit, and that's probably why I've had it on hold for 3 years.

Everything mentioned deserves the praise, imo. Strange to see people disliking Gainax; they're like a pillar-stone of modern anime. FLCL, NGE, Gunbuster, Nadia, Gurren Lagann... amazing series with great animation and all have their unique drawing points.

Just need somebody to bash on Macross, Ghibli and Dragon Ball; then we're close to a full set.

With FLCL, it just didn't really click with me. There was plenty there to keep it above average. I don't outright dislike it (and with the majority of "acclaimed"/well-liked anime, there's very few that I've seen that I've fully disliked), I just didn't feel it merited the acclaim it received.

NGE is also fairly controversial. Some people need multiple rewatches to get it, some people love it right away, and some people just don't see what's so great about it and then get attacked by those who love it (NGE has some insanely rabid fans in various corners of the internet). That said, I'll probably fall closer to "don't see what's so great about it" without fully being in that category (I'll probably find it at least above average unless there are moments in the original that make me want to flip a table when they happen) when I properly get around to NGE itself, based on my thoughts on the rebuilds.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Akame ga Kill!
    Again, similar to Mahouka.
    Maybe even less acclaimed, because while White Fox did a very good job in the beginning, we all know it went original FMA route, thus, original ending.
    And that pretty much buried any acclamation it could get.

and also the romance of tatsumi and Mai is still bugging because of no character development.
    It's Mine, but whatever.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • The vast majority of people would praise Holo from spice & wolf as a character often saying how amazing she is etc. Yet after watching the show fairly recently, I'm not really that wowed. I understand her charms but perhaps it just means that I've gotten used to seeing cool, witty and smart female characters. The show itself is pretty good though.

Lunaturret

[B]The Forgotten[/B]
    Years
  • I was actually thinking maybe their is some anime that is dislike because of the effort but in due to laziness or just getting it out their i really havnt got the slightist clue when it comes to most of the anime i watches budget but their has to be some aniime out their like that as i know i havnt watch all the anime in the world just yet but would like to even if its alittle under budget or they lazy still willing to give most anime a run for its money.

User Anon 1848

Naruto / Naruto Shippuden. For starters the characterization of the three main characters annoyed me from the get go. You have Naruto the overly emotional and righteous Jesus figure. Sakura who starts off as nothing more than a bratty bully who gets in the way of her teammates during missions. And lastly there's Sasuke the prototypical emo full of angst and a lust for vengeance, even towards people who did him no harm! Sakura is the only character who I felt became more likable over time. Although all three irritated me throughout the series.

The "friendship" between Naruto and Sasuke was poorly written in part 1, as were any sort of meaningful feelings that Sakura developed for Sasuke. This made Sakura and Naruto's journey to rescue Sasuke throughout the rest of the series extremely tough to care about or sympathize with. The fact that Sasuke became a psychopathic murderer and aided terrorists along the way didn't help matters either. Anyone with common sense and self-respect would have abandoned that lost cause the moment he tried to kill them.

It's a shame that so much of the series focused on trying to get Sasuke back to the Hidden Leaf village when Kishi had so many other interesting plot points and enjoyable characters that he could have fleshed out more. Orochimaru and the Konoha 11 (minus Naruto and Sakura) were a huge part of why I liked Naruto as much as I did before the timeskip. Unfortunately most of these characters were given very little time to shine in Shippuden, the same can be said for a lot of the newly introduced characters from that point onward.

One of my biggest pet peeves is that Kishi completely abandoned his earlier themes of hard work being able to overcome talent and ones destiny/fate. Kishi craps all over these themes by giving Naruto several ridiculous power ups and ultimately being revealed as "the chosen one." I thought this series was meant to be about hardworking ninja not overpowered demigods. Oh yeah and the ending sucked!

I used to be a huge fan of Naruto otherwise I wouldn't feel this passionate about it. Kishi just lost his touch in my opinion.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Daily Lives of High School Boys and Meganebu! I didn't really like and especially Daily Lives I just couldn't get into. Maybe it's because they don't have a large central storyline (I think Meganebu! had some sort of base storyline), I guess I just don't like this kind of anime in general?

Hetalia World Series
    Back in my fanfic writing days (around 5 or so years ago), almost every one of my fellow writing friends absolutely loved Hetalia. I thought that if they all liked it, then maybe I would too. However, after watching the first couple of episodes I just really couldn't watch it nor could I get into it. It didn't seem to entertain me as much as my friends did nor did I find myself liking and getting attached to any of the characters. Ended up being one of the few things I've actually dropped.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
    Another thing I dropped while I was still trying to get into anime. Can't exactly remember why I didn't like it since it was a long while ago, but I do remember watching it as a recommendation as something similar to Angel Beats which I had just finished. Thought the first episode or 2 was okay, but I dropped after episode 4 or 5. Wasn't too fond of the characters, I remember not liking the pacing or something (?) and I just didn't seem to enjoy each episode hoping it would end faster - but hey this was 6 years ago.

Apparently School Rumble Ni Gakki was also on my list of things I dropped (because it's rare for me to actually drop stuff), but I can barely recall why I really disliked it.

EDIT: Forgot to add Tokyo Ghoul - mostly √A (I did sorta enjoy Jack though). √A was pretty much "What are you doing... when is the episode going to end". I don't hate it completely, but I wasn't too fond of it? - It felt really overhyped and didn't live up to it (And I'm not a manga fan either).

Last edited:

YellowTemperance

DeDeDoodles™ by Kirby
    Years
  • I've watched a fair bit of anime in my time, and while my mentality is generally to completely avoid series I'm not interested in, thus avoiding the peril of not liking a series, I have to admit, I'm not fond of Madoka Magica. The reasons are mostly the same as those previously listed by others; it seemed like a pointless anime written by the infamous Urobutcher, who just fundamentally does not understand that heroes don't always have to suffer hell in a handbasket to get their happy endings. The characters are flat and don't have much development other than "what else bad can happen to them?" It just doesn't appeal to me.

Another show I'm not too fond of is Gundam Wing, and the main turn-off I have about it is the fanbase, which from my look has been consistently split between the idiots who tout it as the end-all be-all of real robot mecha anime and the fujoshi empresses who constantly ship the main characters like they can't go two feet without being lost in each others' wounded eyes. When it comes to Gundam, I like series like Iron-Blooded Orphans or G Gundam. Wing just doesn't catch my fancy.

I can't think of any other shows, mainly because--as I said before--I avoid watching shows that don't interest me much.

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2018
    Have to second that. The only thing sadder than Gundam Wing is the fanbase. Instantly thought of this video:
    http://www.honouproductions.net/2011/04/amv-grounded-with-a-gundam/

When they decide to actually animate a scene, besides just panning over a still, it's usually rather cheesy. The writing though is terrifying. Actual plot summary of episode 34:

• "I've come to kill you."
    • "Just shoot me, or we could make a suicide pact instead."
    • "So I kill you then you kill me. Affirmative." (note the logical fallacy)
    • "First though, get into this suit and take out everything in a 3 mile radius. It will teach you wonders."
    • "OMG I PWNS ALL"
    • "Let's get started then, shall me?" (These two are actual lines)
    • "I do not have the right."

I mean, the show's hilarious because they do incredibly stupid things like throwing people out of planes and shooting them on the way down. It's not meant to be comedy, but how can you possibly take it seriously? For fun, name the character by their laughable psychosis:

• "I follow mysterious orders to the letter without question and totally don't write them myself."
    • "Plan: let's kill everyone, and then ourselves. Oh, but one guy got away; so much for the plan."
    • "My personality is dictated by what glasses I'm wearing today."
    • "Master, we died to bring you this toast."
    • "I'm the only one who should sacrifice themselves for perfectly buttered toast."
    • "I was born on the battlefield. My mother was a mime. My battle tactic is flawless: stand in one spot and keep firing in one direction until out of ammo."
    • "Flashbacks of my hometown blowing up are conveniently different depending on how much I want to hold you responsible for it."
    • "My country can maintain a policy of perfect pacifism so long as my bishonen assassin squad are here."
    • "I am too beautiful for you to look on me with your own eyes."
    • "Oh I wants to though."

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • WARNING: PERSONAL OPINIONS AHEAD!
    Seriously, if you REALLY REALLY liked the mainstream anime that I'm about to list here; turn away now. It will probably be upsetting for you.

Naruto
    I never could understand the charm or pleasure of watching this one. Most of it annoys the hell out of me. It commits several crimes of continuity, has the most vapid protagonists I've ever seen, centers solely on fighting hand to hand excessively, wears tropes way too far out, has run it's course; as in it's way too long; and it has the most irritating fandom one would ever possibly encounter. Or rather it did in it's heyday.

Needless to say I've permanently banned Naruto animes from my watchlists eternally after only watching season one

Bleach
    Fandom ruined this one for me, and I found it just about as irritating as Naruto in general for different reasons. It also runs rather long and such as well. While I could probably be convinced to watch this one if given space and enough time to come around to it on my own terms; don't hold your breath.

Fairy Tail
    Much as I absolutely hate to admit it; about 9/10ths through the 6th season I dropped it like it's hot. I cannot bring myself to catch up on this anime despite it's characters being quite likeable, even loveable! It's crossed that mystical mark of "Ok, I've had enough of this now!" and I can't bear to watch them suffer any more than they already have. So I won't mark this down as a complete dislike like Naruto or Bleach; because I Really do enjoy this anime but I wish to freaking god it was shorter. It's still going on strong in it's seventh season airing on Hulu. Normally I'd be all over that; but I reach a certain point ya know? I'm behind by 33 or more episodes right now by Hulu Queue count. I don't think I'll be deleting it or catching up on it. I guess I'm just upset that such a well written anime has fallen victim to the staleness syndrome that the other mainstream anime that I hate with a passion has fallen to, and has therefore lost it's magic and interest to me.

Fullmetal Alchemist
    Ok so this one at least had a really really good story to it. The downside was that it was oh-****-grimdark. Very grimdark. While I watched this in it's entirety to humor a sibling of mine; I never quite connected to it. Was it good? Yes. Did I like it? No; not really. It was bearable at least to watch, but I admit to being more fan of sugary syrupy anime than I do grimdark things like this. I connected to Soul Eater more than I connected to FMA, and arguably Soul Eater is WAY more grimdark on the tin. Perhaps it's a matter of perspective though.

Sir Codin

Examples:

Slayers = noblebright, Berserk = grimdark
    Fable = noblebright, Dark Souls = grimdark
    South Korea = noblebright, North Korea = grimdark
    Advance Wars (in general) = noblebright, Advance Wars: Days of Ruin = grimdark
    Power metal = noblebright, Black metal = grimdark

Here's a few more examples: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Noblebright

Also, if grimdark is not your forte, Melody, then I recommend you do NOT watch Now and Then, Here and There

Last edited:
    Back