• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

adults and older people playing pokemon

Destiny Bond

Daddow entelechies
Years
  • well this might be in the wrong place or whole forum. But i was catching the train home from school and i saw two people. I think they both looked about 40 to 45 years old and i think they were also married. They were both holding dsi's and im definate they were playing pokemon. Ive also seen some people that looked like they were about 60 that play pokemon. Im just kinda freaked out, but is there a problem with playing pokemon when your an adult?:surprised:

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
  • That is actually awesome. It shows those people had the determination to step out of the standards the community has forced upon us, and do what they actually wanted to. Then again, they used DSis, which takes a lot of the awesomeness out. I never understood why one would want to go on the internet on a gaming console, those are just excuses to sell more stuff, and people keep falling for them. DS lite ftw.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    There are many reasons for choosing the DSi:

Bigger screens, looks better than any of the other version (I may be biased, but I have had a DSLite too, and still use that for GBA), you can get it in that awesome metallic blue...it has a camera, you can download lots of absolutely horrendous but entertaining games (like poker where you always win xD).

And I agree, it shows they're not afraid to be different, they just enjoy it. Heck, you never know, we may even be talking about members of PC!

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
    Years
  • Actually, about a quarter (maybe more? idk) of this community are 18+. There's no problem with playing Pokemon at that age, it's just a game, it's no different from Mario or Sonic. Except it has monsters and a 10 or 15 year old kid travelling a world full of crime.

MEGAS

Bestow5000 from YouTube
    Years
  • Pokemon is for all ages and it's really good to see adults playing Pokemon when you'll almost never find one other than teenagers or kids.

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2012
    My dad's, girlfriend's, son used to play it. Then he gave up on video games. LOL

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • Pokemon and DS's are for all ages and anyone can play them. So, I don't see any problem with it, but other people will have a different view or opinion on it, but I think it's good that adults actually are playing Pokemon.

vudw

Nocturnal Insomnia
    Years
  • I've known a lot of people who are in there 20s who still play the games. Some for competitive value, some simply because they enjoy playing games like this, and others because they grew up on the games and it's become a part of who they are in a way. Besides, aren't there a bunch of young children who play rated M games all the time? It's practically a reverse situation, but maybe with its own differences and what not. (Such as ignoring ESRB ratings. xP)

Well, actually children playing esrb M games "all the time" is a bit of an overstatement, but you get the point.

Drekin

We all live in a...
    Years
  • some simply because they enjoy playing games like this, and others because they grew up on the games and it's become a part of who they are in a way. .

Both of those are true for me.

I was about 6 years old when I got Pokemon Red and now I'm 18 and I still enjoy Pokemon games. I will keep playing them until I get bored with the series but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Heh, there isn't anything wrong with it. Anyone can play pokémon at any age. I think it's awsome you saw that. I don't think i've ever really seen anyone over 18 play pokémon though.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2012
    Having a bunch ~20 year olds playing Pokemon isn't surprising. These were people who started playing when they were ten and never stopped, because hey, Pokemon is awesome. It's kind of odd to see people first pick the game up from the age of around 14 and up, but so what? Why shouldn't you start playing Pokemon at that age, if you haven't already? Who gets hurt by it?

Ayselipera

Even though I'm considered too old to be playing Pokemon by my own family I still find it a little odd when people well into their 30s or 40s also play. Even though that will probably be me one day. :p

I guess it's because I look at my parents who are in their late 40s now and they don't even have the slightest concept on how to play Pokemon. So it's weird for me to then look at a stranger who is around 40 and playing Pokemon effortlessly. My parents are the perfect definition of those parents who say to themselves, "Kids these days and their crazy electrionics!" I'm so used to being surrounded by adults who think of video games as foreign objects that it's really odd to then go to a friend's to see their dad on the floor playing Call of Duty with his son swearing at other players through the mic. xD

So to sum this all up the image in my head of a full grown adult past their 20s playing Pokemon is usually seen in a negative light by myself. I don't think there is anything wrong with playing Pokemon or any video game once you're an adult it's just weird for me to see because I'm not used to seeing it. Like I said in the beginning, that will probably be me one day anyways so I'm going to have to get used to it eventually. xD

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
  • I don't think its weird at all. It's funny because when I went to buy Pokémon Heart Gold my mum said "I think one day you'll grow out of those games" and I think "Er...no!" :P What makes the Pokémon games any different to Sonic or The Super Mario Bros. or any other game? We grew up with Pokémon, and I think that one day there'll be lots of married couples playing Pokémon xD

It's not doing any harm to anybody else either, I don't get why people make fun of anyone for playing Pokémon. Sure the anime portrayed Pokémon as something targeted for younger children but the games are a RPG in their own right. I couldn't care less who calls me "childish" for playing it, they've clearly never tried it themselves.

Haberdasher

suffers from nostalgia
    Years
  • I don't see why people of all ages can't play Pokemon. Usually it seems that the problem is those who weren't raised with the games don't see the attraction of them and don't care to try it. But for those who do, good for them for ignoring societal verdicts on what adults "should" and "shouldn't" do and searching for enjoyment the way they see fit!
    As it happens, I'm 18, and thus technically an adult myself. But I grew up with the games/anime/TCG, so I'm a different case from those described in the OP.
    On a side note, I wonder how many of such older adults grew interested in the Pokemon games because their children started playing them. A fair percentage, I'd imagine.

Years
  • @OP: Well, good on those people you spotted for actually knowing a good game when they see one! ;D

Personally, my dad doesn't get why my brother and I are into anime or Pokemon, but he's from a different generation of gamer, and he prefers shooters more than anything.

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    The show may be somewhat childish, but I still find it very entertaining, especially in the new "Best Wishes" series.
    As for the games, no. There is ab-so-lute-ly nothing wrong with playing the games when you're older.
    Don't forget, they are challenging to both old gamers and new gamers alike.

Emperte

はがねタイプ
    Years
  • I'll also agree that it's awesome. I'd probably wanna know what their take on playing is cause it'd probably be a little different that us. Who knows, they might approach gameplay the same way.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I strongly believe in the statement that Pokemon is not only for kids, but for adults as well. I haven't seen any adults play Pokemon, though.

Back