• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Age difference

Matthew

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2015
    Do you think age difference plays a significant role in matters such as dating, marriage and sex? Do you mind going out with a fairly older person -- considering most of this community is under 25 -- or do you opt for people a little younger/older than yourself?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Do you think age difference plays a significant role in matters such as dating, marriage and sex? Do you mind going out with a fairly older person -- considering most of this community is under 25 -- or do you opt for people a little younger/older than yourself?

My current Boyfriend is three years younger than me (18 vs 21). I think a little age difference is ok, I would say my range is probably 18-26

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I don't think age gaps are a big problem, but obviously they have more of an impact when you're young. I'd say at the moment whilst I'm 18, my range would probably be between 16-21, but if it was the right person then dating beyond that range wouldn't be out of the question.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Does it impact society? Yes. Do I think it should? No.

Age is only a number. If you love a person, then you love a person. Age, weight, height. It's all irrelevant. I'd gladly date someone who was 3 years younger or older then me if I really did like them enough.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Does it impact society? Yes. Do I think it should? No.

Age is only a number. If you love a person, then you love a person. Age, weight, height. It's all irrelevant. I'd gladly date someone who was 3 years younger or older then me if I really did like them enough.
    I'm not so sure about that, it really depends on the ages in question. For instance, a 13 year old to a 10 year old may seem okay on paper, but it does have an effect. Not only does a thirteen year old have raging hormones, but they are also coming into terms with they're identity and learning about things that most 10 year olds are too young to comprehend, or rather, are too young to handle.

Years
  • I remember answering this type of thread in OVP once or twice~! But yeah, age does matter to me when it comes to dating. I wouldn't date someone more than 1-2 years younger than me or 3+ years older than me. I just feel more comfortable dating someone around my age; my boyfriend is six months younger than I am. :3;

Patatas Fritas

bajo el mismo sol ღ
    Years
  • Age matters when you're young, many adults have quite a few years between them in relationships, and I also feel that modern society sees it as a bad thing, while in older times it wouldn't be frowned upon for a large age gap, now it is more so.

Age isn't really that much of an issue in my view, I'd prefer to be with someone older, rather than younger, however.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • I think the age rule is important when considering dating someone:

Half your age + seven is your limit:

Therefore.. 22/2=11 plus 7 is 18. Then 30/2=15 +7 is 22.
    Oldest is 30, youngest is 18, TECHNICALLY for me.

But.. I'd prefer someone who was closer to my age. Maybe only a year younger, or a few years older since we would be (relatively) in the same place in life.
    The person I am with is currently only 9 days older than me, and I am happy about that.

But for friends? I think any age is great. I have friends who are young, and some friends as old as 50.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I'd go as young as 17 (yes, that's under the 'legal' age. I don't care, society!) and as high as 25... maybe 26.

I generally prefer younger guys on sight because I think I'm a tiny bit younger mentally than I am physically (I've felt like I've been in suspended animation at 18 since I was 18 :P), but I've been out with older guys before to great success as well! Age plays a huge role in determining who I'd date - I simply can't see myself falling for somebody old enough to be my father or babysitter. There are tons of people out there though who have made great success of it and I applaud them!

I think at the end of the day I want to settle down with somebody who has roughly the same lifespan as I do so we can enjoy our lives together for as long as possible. I know things happen sometimes; accidents, chronic illness etc, but I don't see the point in stacking the deck against yourself from the get-go.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • I'm not so sure about that, it really depends on the ages in question. For instance, a 13 year old to a 10 year old may seem okay on paper, but it does have an effect. Not only does a thirteen year old have raging hormones, but they are also coming into terms with they're identity and learning about things that most 10 year olds are too young to comprehend, or rather, are too young to handle.

Well, that brings up a separate issue. As far as I'm concerned, a ten year old shouldn't be dating in the first place. That's too young. I think the bottom like is 12 or 13. And 12 is a stretch.

I think my beliefs are caused by watching the movie Harold and Maude.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Three years younger (17) / older (23) is about as far as I'd be willing to go.

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2012
    I have dated with people from 16 to 52 (Im 24).

I can tell from experience that you will most likely get bored with people much younger than you and you wont have almost anything in common with people much older than you.

If you are only looking for a hook up, then the age is irrelevant, but if you look for anything past that, then the age is quite relevant. People arround your age (and more importantly, your mental age) are the ones you will get along better. A bit younger would mean a bit more inmature and a bit more attractive (general standars, this changes from person to person) while people a bit older would mean more mature (you wont necesarely lose attractiveness by ageing).

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • In grad school, I mostly hung out with undergraduates as opposed to fellow graduate students (because of the clubs I was involved in). So I'd have to say I get along best with those who are either my age or a few years younger.

I don't think I'd go for someone much older than me, unless I was just marrying them for their money :P

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    Well, you can love anyone, regardless of age. tbh, my age limit is between 18-45, not that I have been out with anyone yet. :/

Years
  • I think it's important to an extent. Especially if sex is involved. A 30 year old shouldn't be doing such things with a 14 year old, in my opinion at least. For me, age wouldn't be a huge factor, depending on how old/young the other person is. I always preferred older people due to people my age and below not having much experience in life therefore not being able to have serious conversations with me. Most of the people I know are 5-7 years older than me so I'd say I would make 10 years older than me my limit.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Uhh idk, I've liked people up to 2/3 years younger so I dunno. I'd rather around my age (and luckily Ole is my age!!) But yeah, idk, if in general I wouldn't go younger than 2/3, and older than 4-5 years older. XD;

Which means uh, 17 - 25 would be the age range!

rayan.b

i like cinnamon :)
    Years
  • a little age difference is not a really big matter
    my preferred range is within 2 years younger and 2 years older
    but I've never been in a relationship to be so picky :/
    its not because of how i look or my personality and mentality
    its just because of where i live and lack of confidence :/

Back