• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

All things Shiny Pokemon

Years
  • This thread is to discuss all things about Shiny Pokemon, a special type of Pokemon that have a different coloration than their normal appearance. They are often a rare sight and feel like a satisfactory moment when you catch one, but not every shiny out there looks all flashy and different. For most of the games they were a 1 in 8,192 chance, though notably halved by quite a bit starting from X & Y.

That's why we discuss, what are your fave and least fave shinies? Is there a shiny that you think could have been done better, and what colour would you have wanted on that shiny? Have you ever caught a shiny Pokemon? Do you prefer getting shiny Pokemon through special hunting methods or just a random encounter?

LadyLucina

Together We Ride
    Years
  • Oh uhm... Well Charizard's shiny is brilliant. Black and red never looked so good, and you can't go wrong with the Red Gyarados.

But Nidoqueen... Send that back 5 generations and remake that thing because it looks so freaking ugly. It doesn't even follow the pattern that the pre-evolutions were following, let alone the Nidoran Male family.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I've loved Shinies ever since I found a Shiny Golbat back in Silver Version and my cousin told me how rare they were (and how jealous he was since he had never found one). Nowadays, I'm absolutely addicted to them.

My favorite Shiny aesthetically has to be Mothim. I like the vast majority of the blue Shinies, but the blue and yellow color scheme just works so well. Also, moths. <3

414.gif

Garchomp would have to be my least-favorite. I'm not a huge fan of Garchomp to begin with, but there's pretty much no difference between the colors at all (it's even hard to see looking at the two colorization side-by-side). At least they did something more interesting with its Mega, but I don't really feel that the pink and purple color scheme suits it. I'm not a fan of Shiny Dragonite either.

Besides Midday Lycanroc, none of this Generation's Shinies stand out to me. My favorite Pokémon this Gen. is Alolan Sandslash, but I think its Shiny could use some work. Rather than just making its main body slightly darker, I wish they had either made its main body almost black or made it look something like this:

gc4ratG.png

I've caught several Shinies over the years. Special methods have spoiled me since DP (mainly Poké Radar and Masuda Method), but I'm trying to get back into full-odds Shiny-hunting. Here's a list of Shinies I've found without anything to boost my chances:

- Golbat (Silver)
    - Weedle (Silver and LeafGreen)
    - Nidoran Male (FireRed)
    - Pidgey (Silver and HeartGold)
    - Gastly (Pearl)
    - Minun (Emerald)
    - Machoke (Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum)
    - Porygon (Platinum)
    - Koffing (Crystal)
    - Raticate (Diamond)
    - Rattata (HeartGold)
    - Hoothoot (HeartGold)
    - Basculin Red Stripe (Black)
    - Litwick (Black)
    - Chimecho (Black)
    - Caterpie (LeafGreen)
    - Eevee (X)
    - Marill (Platinum)
    - Tentacool (Sapphire)

I also found a Shiny Graveler (Pearl) and Quagsire (Platinum), but they got away. Graveler exploded and Quagsire fled. T_T

Last edited:
    Years
  • But Nidoqueen... Send that back 5 generations and remake that thing because it looks so freaking ugly. It doesn't even follow the pattern that the pre-evolutions were following, let alone the Nidoran Male family.

I can definitely understand your point about shiny Nidoqueen, since I feel it's a shiny that gets hated a lot for not following the colour for its pre-evos.

I love hunting for shiny Pokemon! I just started doing so this generation, but only because I feel that SOS battle chaining is like, one of the easiest ways to get shinies provided you have some Leppa Berries and patience. I mean, I've got three shiny Eevee out of it, so it had to have worked, right? xD

At any rate, I absolutely love the concept about shiny Pokemon! Although since Gen II (I think?) there hasn't been any actual stat changes in shinies, it's nice to have them, anyway. Some shinies look superbly better than their non-shiny counterparts. Though the reverse can obviously be true... shiny Salamence and shiny Espeon, I'm looking at you.

And shiny Dragonite.

I just think green as a shiny colour should just be obliterated in most cases.

I've never really tried shiny-hunting methods, although I did once get a Flabébé through the Poke Radar in X. My other shinies have always been random encounters.

Like you said, I like the concept with shiny Pokemon because it's like having a special specimen of a Pokemon you love and want to care for so much. I feel the concept of shiny Pokemon may have been inspired by how some animals are albinos, which have a very pale colour. Albino animals are rare and that's pretty much the same deal with shiny Pokemon.

My favorite Shiny aesthetically has to be Mothim. I like the vast majority of the blue Shinies, but the blue and yellow color scheme just works so well. Also, moths. <3

414.gif

Garchomp would have to be my least-favorite. I'm not a huge fan of Garchomp to begin with, but there's pretty much no difference between the colors at all (it's even hard to see looking at the two colorization side-by-side). At least they did something more interesting with its Mega, but I don't really feel that the pink and purple color scheme suits it. I'm not a fan of Shiny Dragonite either.

Besides Midday Lycanroc, none of this Generation's Shinies stand out to me. My favorite Pokémon this Gen. is Alolan Sandslash, but I think its Shiny could use some work. Rather than just making its main body slightly darker, I wish they had either made its main body almost black or made it look something like this:

gc4ratG.png

I've caught several Shinies over the years. Special methods have spoiled me since DP (mainly Poké Radar and Masuda Method), but I'm trying to get back into full-odds Shiny-hunting. Here's a list of Shinies I've found without anything to boost my chances:

- Golbat (Silver)
    - Weedle (Silver and LeafGreen)
    - Nidoran Male (FireRed)
    - Pidgey (Silver and HeartGold)
    - Gastly (Pearl)
    - Minun (Emerald)
    - Machoke (Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum)
    - Porygon (Platinum)
    - Koffing (Crystal)
    - Raticate (Diamond)
    - Rattata (HeartGold)
    - Hoothoot (HeartGold)
    - Basculin Red Stripe (Black)
    - Litwick (Black)
    - Chimecho (Black)
    - Caterpie (LeafGreen)
    - Eevee (X)
    - Marill (Platinum)
    - Tentacool (Sapphire)

I also found a Shiny Graveler (Pearl) and Quagsire (Platinum), but they got away. Graveler exploded and Quagsire fled. T_T

I never knew you liked shiny Mothim! But I do love what you say about it, since I do like the blue on it. Your point about Garchomp is one I feel everyone agrees with because it's definitely the worst shiny ever. I always hate shinies that barely change from the normal colours, because it makes me get the idea that Game Freak have been nothing but lazy.

I get your point about the 7th Gen shinies being not very impressive. The main ones I seem to like are Sandygast/Palossand for their black colour being a shoutout to Hawaii's black volcanic sand and Minior's black core. I also like Bruxish's mix of red/green/yellow/white because it reminds me of fruit. Sensu and Baile Oricorio also have nice shinies that despite being inverted versions of their normal colouring, actually work well. I do like your shiny Alolan Sandslash idea, especially since its actual shiny felt like a letdown to me too.

Also, figured I should share my collection of shinies too:
    Spoiler:

The Excadrill and Gumshoos were caught as Drilbur and Yungoos, and I evolved them. I only missed one shiny which was a Boldore in Black which I accidentally ran from. Also, on my brother's Sapphire version I did once find a shiny Lotad but I didn't want to overwrite his save so I had to leave it.

The Gumshoos was an interesting one for me, as I only had my copy of Moon for four days when I caught her. That was actually the earliest point of a generation that I got a shiny at.

Last edited:

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • My favourite Shinys are Lilligant, Gardevoir and Regular Ninetales. Lilligant is my favourite Pokemon whilst I really like the blue colour on Gardevoir and Ninetales.

A special mention for Shiny Tsareena too. I love the purple and yellow colour scheme she has and the one I caught (As a Bounsweet) has 4 perfect IVs. The best stats I have ever got on a Shiny.

My least favourite shinies are the Wingull line. I have three all caught whilst horde hunting for something else. The Shiny isn't great as it is and in Kalos Wingull are everywhere.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I get your point about the 7th Gen shinies being not very impressive. The main ones I seem to like are Sandygast/Palossand for their black colour being a shoutout to Hawaii's black volcanic sand and Minior's black core. I also like Bruxish's mix of red/green/yellow/white because it reminds me of fruit. Sensu and Baile Oricorio also have nice shinies that despite being inverted versions of their normal colouring, actually work well. I do like your shiny Alolan Sandslash idea, especially since its actual shiny felt like a letdown to me too.

Also, figured I should share my collection of shinies too:
    Spoiler:

The Excadrill and Gumshoos were caught as Drilbur and Yungoos, and I evolved them. I only missed one shiny which was a Boldore in Black which I accidentally ran from. Also, on my brother's Sapphire version I did once find a shiny Lotad but I didn't want to overwrite his save so I had to leave it.

The Gumshoos was an interesting one for me, as I only had my copy of Moon for four days when I caught her. That was actually the earliest point of a generation that I got a shiny at.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Minior. That's the only other one I like, though. The black sandcastles are alright (I didn't get the reference before), just not really for me.

Congrats on those Shinies! Too bad about Boldore and Lotad. I'm not really a fan of Rock-Types besides some of the fossils, Corsola, and Shuckle, but Gigalith's Shiny colors are really nice.

I've still not found any Shinies in Sun/Moon. Dx

Years
  • A special mention for Shiny Tsareena too. I love the purple and yellow colour scheme she has and the one I caught (As a Bounsweet) has 4 perfect IVs. The best stats I have ever got on a Shiny.

I have to admit I'm not a fan of the Bounsweet line's shiny colours, since its only main difference is the leaves turning purple. Still, congrats on getting four perfect IVs on yours! It's very rare as far as I'm aware.

Congrats on those Shinies! Too bad about Boldore and Lotad. I'm not really a fan of Rock-Types besides some of the fossils, Corsola, and Shuckle, but Gigalith's Shiny colors are really nice.

I've still not found any Shinies in Sun/Moon. Dx

I don't like most Rock-types either, but Corsola does happen to be one of my fave shinies of all-time. I'm a huge fan of that blue on it, which is also why I love Psyduck's shiny (Golduck eh, not so much). Seriously, if I ever find a shiny Corsola one day I will flip because it's a shiny I would one day love to own myself.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I don't like most Rock-types either, but Corsola does happen to be one of my fave shinies of all-time. I'm a huge fan of that blue on it, which is also why I love Psyduck's shiny (Golduck eh, not so much). Seriously, if I ever find a shiny Corsola one day I will flip because it's a shiny I would one day love to own myself.

Shiny Corsola is one of my faves as well (probably my #3). I fished one up at a chain of 2 in X (post-Shiny Charm).

Years
  • Shiny Corsola is one of my faves as well (probably my #3). I fished one up at a chain of 2 in X (post-Shiny Charm).

Congrats! I never obtained the Shiny Charm in my entire life of playing Pokemon since I can never always fully complete the Pokedex. I know Sun & Moon made it a tad bit easier by limiting it to the Alola Dex instead of the National Dex, but the fact that certain Pokemon are SOS-only makes it frustrating.

That makes me wonder, has anyone ever obtained the Shiny Charm in any games post-B2/W2? Or what your fave shiny hunting method is?

Zexonyte

Meteorite Piece
    Years
  • I actually did a series on which I think are the best and worst shinies by gen. I guess if I could highlight a few...

For the best ones:
    Audino: This is just a personal thing, but long story short, Shiny Audino reminds me a lot of a dog of mine who I had a deep connection with. My favorite shiny ever.
    Cresselia: It's just really pretty with the blue and purple.
    Sylveon: I love Sylveon but I hate pink. So having it in blue, which I do like, is awesome for me.
    Braviary: Because Murrica.
    Gigalith: Because who doesn't like shiny Gigalith?

For the worst ones:
    Shiny Nidoqueen: It doesn't go with the others and it ruins the whole reversal thing they were going for. It angers me how bad this one is. This is my least favorite shiny of all time.
    Misdreavus: Sooooo ugly.
    Yanmega: Hurts my eyes.
    Krookodile: Because beady eyes.
    Malamar: Also super ugly.
    Lugia: Why is it pink?
    Mamoswine: Looks like a giant pile of its own dung.
    Watchog: Crazy eyes get even crazier.

I also made a video a few years ago about the reasons that a lot of shinies suck. I broke it down into 6 different categories. If the shiny falls into at least one of these, I don't like it.
    1. Not different enough from the original (e.g. Gengar)
    2. Clashing colors (e.g. Yanmega)
    3. Putrid colors (e.g. Malamar)
    4. The recolor ruins the original design (e.g. Krookodile)
    5. Pink (e.g. every water type for some stupid reason)
    6. Makes no evolutionary sense (e.g. Nidoqueen)

I think I found that roughly half of all shinies commit at least one offense on this list. So, yeah, those are all pretty lame.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Congrats! I never obtained the Shiny Charm in my entire life of playing Pokemon since I can never always fully complete the Pokedex. I know Sun & Moon made it a tad bit easier by limiting it to the Alola Dex instead of the National Dex, but the fact that certain Pokemon are SOS-only makes it frustrating.

That makes me wonder, has anyone ever obtained the Shiny Charm in any games post-B2/W2? Or what your fave shiny hunting method is?
    I was never able to complete my Dex until they brought WI-FI to the games. I completed it in Pearl, Black 2, X, and AlphaSapphire.

Now I'm not even worried about trying for the Shiny Charm. Full-odds Shinies (those found/hatched without anything to boost your chances) feel more rewarding to me.

Years
  • My favourite Shinys are Lilligant, Gardevoir and Regular Ninetales. Lilligant is my favourite Pokemon whilst I really like the blue colour on Gardevoir and Ninetales.

That reminds me, regular Ninetales has such a good-looking shiny but I found Alolan Ninetales to have such a lame shiny that screamed nothing but lazy because it's difficult to tell apart from it getting purple eyes. Alolan Vulpix got what was essentially Garchomp 2.0 for laziest shiny ever - I often have to look at the images twice to even tell if it's shiny.

It makes me feel fanmade shinies are actually better than what the official shinies end up being.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • That reminds me, regular Ninetales has such a good-looking shiny but I found Alolan Ninetales to have such a lame shiny that screamed nothing but lazy because it's difficult to tell apart from it getting purple eyes. Alolan Vulpix got what was essentially Garchomp 2.0 for laziest shiny ever - I often have to look at the images twice to even tell if it's shiny.

It makes me feel fanmade shinies are actually better than what the official shinies end up being.

Allan Vulpix is indeed very hard to tell apart from its regular form. It has purple inner ears and slightly more purple eyes. If it wasn't for it being stood right next to a regular Alolan Vulpix with blue inner ears I would have missed it when it appeared in a chain today.

I like Shiny Alolan Ninetales however. The purple is a nice touch. It helps mine is female too. Shiny Fire Ninetales is one of the best Shinys in the game however with the white and blue. I caught a male one in AS.

Ice Pokemon tend to be have underwhelming Shinys. Glalie just gets red eyes, Froslass a pink Kimono part and Dewgong is near unnoticeable. Shiny Lapras (Purple) and Walrein (Pinky/Purple) aren't great either.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I'd really like to get into shiny hunting, I just don't have the time right now? There are so many shiny Pok?mon that I love the look of such as Altaria, Whimsicott, Umbreon etc. Once I get some spare time, maybe I'll start chaining in Moon!

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I love looking for shinies and I get a lot of them through Wonder Trade. Right now I'm working on a shiny living dex.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I tried to do a shiny (not living) dex in Y ! It was going well and I want to continue it one day, we never know. But first, I want to complete que Sun's pokedex.

Years
  • I love looking for shinies and I get a lot of them through Wonder Trade. Right now I'm working on a shiny living dex.

I heard that is one of the most difficult challenges to achieve in Pokemon games. Good luck with that, since I've never heard of anyone ever trying to get every shiny in existence.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I heard that is one of the most difficult challenges to achieve in Pokemon games. Good luck with that, since I've never heard of anyone ever trying to get every shiny in existence.

Technically you can't without cheating....IE shiny Mew. But it's not like I'm going to ever trade it out.

Snivy88

Hello Everyone ^^
    Years
  • I love shinies! However, I have mixed feelings on the lowered shiny rate, while it makes it easier to find shinies, I'm thinking that if it gets lowered more, it'll take away some difficulty in finding them, and they won't be as special.

stzy

the battlefield got weird.
    Years
  • Too many favorite shinies to name, but right now I'm really into shiny Baile Oricorio. I love that reverse coloring.

Back