• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Alola's relations to Kalos

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    Right after Sun and Moon were announced, some people, including me, speculated that SuMo could be Kalos' GSC- Sort of a sequal to XY.
    After seeing a short peek of what Sun and Moon are, do you still take that as a possibility?
    Share your opinions <3

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Unfortunately, I think the XY sequel idea is dead. :( Why set the new games in Hawaii if they're going to be sequels to games set in France?

Nope, it appears that Aloha will be yet another isolated reboot region, just like Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, and Kalos itself. We're probably not even going to see any characters from previous games, let alone any other previous regions, which is hugely disappointing. So much for these being the "special" 20th Anniversary games, huh?

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I definitely believe there's a chance we will be visiting Kalos some stage of the game. In an interview Junichi Masuda was talking about how X/Y's storyline will be tied up in a unique way that will surprise everyone and it was also mentioned that "flowers" as a hint for the upcoming games before Sun & Moon were announced. There is the sundial in Anistar City and talks of a moondial in another location as one of the few unfinished stories from Kalos.

Gold and Silver were a new generation but still allowed you to travel to Kanto as postgame content, so it's certainly a possibility that would make for an awesome storyline and postgame content.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    I definitely believe there's a chance we will be visiting Kalos some stage of the game. In an interview Junichi Masuda was talking about how X/Y's storyline will be tied up in a unique way that will surprise everyone and it was also mentioned that "flowers" as a hint for the upcoming games before Sun & Moon were announced. There is the sundial in Anistar City and talks of a moondial in another location as one of the few unfinished stories from Kalos.

Gold and Silver were a new generation but still allowed you to travel to Kanto as postgame content, so it's certainly a possibility that would make for an awesome storyline and postgame content.

I really hope you're right. I woner what Masuda meant when he said that the next games have to do with flowers? Maybe he was referring to Hawaii, due to its tropical climate etc?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I still believe that it is possible. Something happened to Looker between ORAS and XY. He took a subway and left and then reappeared in Hoenn on the shore of the Battle Frontier Island.

Hoenn and Alola is probably close to one another on a pokemon map, as Hawaii and the region is which Hoenn is based around are in the same ocean.

Masuda said that XY's plot will be wrapped up in a unique way. This was after the games came out. This was also said that the future of pokemon is 'flowers'. He also said that if there was a Z in the same thing.

As for flowers, this was talking about Hawaii because each island has a flower that it gives to travelers. The color of the flowers depends on the island you are on. This is why it is called the Rainbow State, which was also the coverup name for these games.

If you finish the Hoenn Dex, the starters are wearing flowers that they give to travelers in Hawaii on the Dex Certificate. One of those colors that they were wearing is one of the colors that the island that we know of is based on.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    I still believe that it is possible. Something happened to Looker between ORAS and XY. He took a subway and left and then reappeared in Hoenn on the shore of the Battle Frontier Island.

Hoenn and Alola is probably close to one another on a pokemon map, as Hawaii and the region is which Hoenn is based around are in the same ocean.

Masuda said that XY's plot will be wrapped up in a unique way. This was after the games came out. This was also said that the future of pokemon is 'flowers'. He also said that if there was a Z in the same thing.

As for flowers, this was talking about Hawaii because each island has a flower that it gives to travelers. The color of the flowers depends on the island you are on. This is why it is called the Rainbow State, which was also the coverup name for these games.

If you finish the Hoenn Dex, the starters are wearing flowers that they give to travelers in Hawaii on the Dex Certificate. One of those colors that they were wearing is one of the colors that the island that we know of is based on.
    Really interesting to hear that, had no idea. As u said, XY and ORAS left lots of mysteries in the open air. The main ones that come to my mind right now r Zygrade and Looker.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018

There's a huge difference between Johto and all the other regions, though. Instead of being its own isolated area, it was literally right next door to Kanto, so it made sense for GSC to be RBY sequels and have Kanto in the postgame.

Aloha is as far away as you can get from Kalos. It'd be one thing if Sun/Moon's region was based on Spain, Italy, the UK, or some other place close to France, but Hawaii? That pretty much seals the deal on the games' (lack of) connection to XY/Kalos, I'm afraid. :(

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Masuda wasn't the one to say the whole "flowers" thing, that was a TPCi PR person or such. And I think the reasoning for "flowers" is already starting to make itself known: it's (sadly) not a plot thing, it's a region thing. Hawaii is known for its flowers such as the hibiscus, right?

And I'm curious: where was it said that XY's story would be "tied up in a unique way?" I've never read such an interview, so I'd like to see a source so I can peruse it. Regardless, as much as it pains me to say it, maybe the "unique way" is in relation to how Zygarde is only featured prominently in the anime instead of in the games. I don't like it, but I feel it's a possibility.

Don't get me wrong, I want to believe. I really, really do. But I've been let down twice in a row with these games. It's just a matter of which saying they opt for when it comes to handling these games: "Third time's a charm?" Or "It's best to do things in threes?" Maybe there's a chance it isn't the latter, but I'm not on board the hype train for these games until that's genuinely confirmed.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • Given that Kalos is basically France and this region looks to be in Hawaii... no. A link to the Pokemon regions stationed in Japan is plausible due to Hawaii's proximity to Japan, so getting linked to Sinnoh or Kanto could actually be a thing, but Kalos is hilariously far away from where Alola seems to be so I don't see it happening.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Given that Kalos is basically France and this region looks to be in Hawaii... no. A link to the Pokemon regions stationed in Japan is plausible due to Hawaii's proximity to Japan, so getting linked to Sinnoh or Kanto could actually be a thing, but Kalos is hilariously far away from where Alola seems to be so I don't see it happening.
    If the map I'm looking at is to scale then Hawaii is as close to Kyushu (Hoenn) as New York City (Unova) Those are the closest places with Pokéregion counterparts.

That Kalos is potentially opposite of Alola reminds me of the "pokéball" region theory. The first two regions cover the east and west south center Honshu. While Kyushu is southern most 'mainland' Japan, with Hokkaido (Sinnoh) being northernmost. So it's a Pokéball. Now to revise this theory with the newest regions. NY doesn't seem to fit until you notice that it's nicely centered between France and Hawaii.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Given that Kalos is basically France and this region looks to be in Hawaii... no. A link to the Pokemon regions stationed in Japan is plausible due to Hawaii's proximity to Japan, so getting linked to Sinnoh or Kanto could actually be a thing, but Kalos is hilariously far away from where Alola seems to be so I don't see it happening.

And, seeing that they didn't even directly link Kanto/Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh together, that lowers the odds even more.

I honestly doubt if we'll even see Kalos characters in these games, let alone Kalos itself. This is going to be yet another isolated reboot region, just like Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, and Kalos. However many past gen callbacks RSE, DPP, BW/2, and XY had is how many Sun/Moon will have, which is to say, not very many. Very disappointing for supposed "special" Anniversary games.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • And, seeing that they didn't even directly link Kanto/Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh together, that lowers the odds even more.

I honestly doubt if we'll even see Kalos characters in these games, let alone Kalos itself. This is going to be yet another isolated reboot region, just like Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, and Kalos. However many past gen callbacks RSE, DPP, BW/2, and XY had is how many Sun/Moon will have, which is to say, not very many. Very disappointing for supposed "special" Anniversary games.
    Plot wise there were some interesting call backs. RSE had the least (if at all), with BWB2W2 having the most. Ghetsis claimed to have learned from TR and TG's 'mistakes', and a TG grunt appeared in B2W2 oddly enough. It's possible that Blue flies to Alola on his way back to Kanto (since he had been in Kalos prior to XY, and most likely in Unova during XY for the PWT (B2W2)).

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Plot wise there were some interesting call backs. RSE had the least (if at all), with BWB2W2 having the most. Ghetsis claimed to have learned from TR and TG's 'mistakes', and a TG grunt appeared in B2W2 oddly enough. It's possible that Blue flies to Alola on his way back to Kanto (since he had been in Kalos prior to XY, and most likely in Unova during XY for the PWT (B2W2)).

A few throwaway references and shout outs just isn't enough, though, especially not for a big Anniversary game. I want to see tons of past characters, as well as at least one past region. The games need to be a direct sequel of some sort and be heavily tied back to past games, not another isolated, standalone story that mostly ignores past gens.

GF really missed an opportunity with Sun/Moon, IMO. For example, instead of setting the games in Hawaii, they could've instead set them in the UK, where they could've established a direct connection with Kalos (France), as well as even a more distant connection with Unova (US).

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
    Years
  • I don't think its a sequal . That was Kalos, this is Alola, that was France, this is Hawai. So, you see the difference. And thats good for me, since i've rarely liked the games that come in sequals.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • I'd like to point out a few real-world things about Hawaii, and it could very well apply to the games nicely as a 20th Anniversary game:

- Hawaii is a state in the US, so that there is an automatic connection to Unova since Unova is based on New York.

- Culturally and historically, Hawaii has ties to French Polynesia, which is owned by France. Maybe they could make it how Kalos once owned Alola or something.

- Hawaii has close ties with Japan, with immigrants from Japan and also because of Japan's campaign to take over the Pacific during WWII.

On top of all that though, it's a huge tourist attraction for people from all over the world, so I can easily see people from all past regions appearing in Alola.

Years
  • And, seeing that they didn't even directly link Kanto/Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh together, that lowers the odds even more.

I do agree with this, given Alola seems to be another isolated reboot region so I do doubt older characters making an appearance. But I have been making some connections to Unova, especially since that region was also based on part of the US.

I'm also sure we'll get mentions of references to previous games, but likely not a lot.

Years
  • I'm worrying on the fact if there's gonna be more islands other than Alola so that we can island-hop, though that's unique, I worry that Kalos,it's plotholes, or Zygarde won't get featured in the post-game. I know the forms will be in the game, but I feel it's deeply connected with Kalos more, as it's native there. And from what i hear that the 3ds can store up to 8GB max, I'm not sure if this is possible.

I don't want to get the feeling that they duped Kalos, Zygarde, and AZ's Floette in favor of this. Or if they tried to just shove Zygarde's forms into the new region as an excuse, how will Xerneas and Yveltal be in the new region too? I wonder how they will manage the third legendary of this new region, if the trademark name "Marshadow" ends up being real, and not making Sun/Moon half-assed games that a future sequel is gonna fixed all of them. And since the NX won't be coming until March 2017, I don't think future main games are going to stay on the 3ds.

Its a long pull, but the Bat Legendary looks very similar to Olympia, the Psychic Gym Leader from Gen 6. Just go ahead and compare them. There's also the stuff of the Backpacker in Gen 6 hinting to a new Region and hyping it up like none before. No other game has ever done that. Not Gen 1, Gen 2, Gen 3, Gen 4, and Gen 5. Gen 6 is the only one that has pulled off this clue. In addition, there has been a mention of a "Moondial", as opposed to the "Sundial" in Gen 6. There's the stuff that Zygarde's cores are powered by sunlight, etc, etc. There's a lot of clues scattered in Gen 6 relating to Gen 7.

This new region reminds me of the Sevii Islands from Kanto. But,I think this region shouldn't be too far from Kalos. It may be based off of Hawaii, but it could also have it's European slant by being an island chain based off the Mediterranean.

The latter would help out the Kalos sequel since it would be the region to its immediate south (or in this case it would be southeast).

I'm still optimistc about these games, so I hope they will deliver to many fans..

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Volcanion being a Kalos Pokemon but being a volcano Pokemon gives me hope. AZ and Eternal Floette and Lysandre and his possible connection to Solgaleo too... and then there's the lack of Zygarde's arc being represented in a game yet. I'm sure we will get a Zygarde core and an opportunity to explore part of Kalos.

Years
  • I don't want to get the feeling that they duped Kalos, Zygarde, and AZ's Floette in favor of this. Or if they tried to just shove Zygarde's forms into the new region as an excuse, how will Xerneas and Yveltal be in the new region too? I wonder how they will manage the third legendary of this new region, if the trademark name "Marshadow" ends up being real, and not making Sun/Moon half-assed games that a future sequel is gonna fixed all of them. And since the NX won't be coming until March 2017, I don't think future main games are going to stay on the 3ds.

The issue is, we don't know if the NX is going to be a home console or a handheld at this moment. Not sure about Zygarde, Volcanion and AZ's Floette considering they are 6th Gen Pokemon and we all know how abruptly that generation ended, but maybe I could see them getting mentions in Sun & Moon, but no actual appearance since Alola looks like it's far from the other regions again.

Back