• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

AMA Americans

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Well sure, I'll give this a shot.

Despite the current political climate, this is still a great country to live in. When I think of America, I don't think of the president, the American flag, or the national anthem. I think about the people who rowed boats down the flooded streets in Houston, rescuing people. I think about the lawyers who went to airports to offer their services pro bono to people affected by the travel ban. I think of the people who speak out every day against injustice by protesting, calling their senators, or offering a tweet thread.

It's the people that make this country great, not the policies or the politicians. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if you are pro-Trump, anti-Trump, etc. We are all still American. And we all help each other in times of need, in times of sadness and anger, and in times of prosperity.

Sawsbuck

used Jump Kick! It's super effective!
    Years
    Well sure, I'll give this a shot.

Despite the current political climate, this is still a great country to live in. When I think of America, I don't think of the president, the American flag, or the national anthem. I think about the people who rowed boats down the flooded streets in Houston, rescuing people. I think about the lawyers who went to airports to offer their services pro bono to people affected by the travel ban. I think of the people who speak out every day against injustice by protesting, calling their senators, or offering a tweet thread.

It's the people that make this country great, not the policies or the politicians. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if you are pro-Trump, anti-Trump, etc. We are all still American. And we all help each other in times of need, in times of sadness and anger, and in times of prosperity.

For the most part

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
    We have a lunatic as president, lots of fighting over stupid things and needless racism, greedy corporations. Just a lot of stupid **** that makes us look bad to the rest of the world
    Idk

Trump's ratings are the lowest for a president in the past 71 years and he was voted in with less than half voters. And if you count the whole population, definitely not in the majority. Republicans are pulling out of supporting a new healthcare bill. Not a great representation of the country.

Loving your country is about loving your culture. Loving your people regardless of race or class. Loving the opportunities it gives you. Its not about small groups of people that seem greater than they really are (such as racists) or "greedy" corporations that are really just a few corporations out of hundreds of thousands of businesses.

Lets instead look at what the people are like. As aforementioned, Americans pull together when times are tough (Harvey and Irma, etc). We have been doing this since the American Revolution and its something that we can be proud of as a nation, and in my opinion, an important value of the US.

Spiff

love child
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 30, 2023
    We have a lunatic as president, lots of fighting over stupid things and needless racism, greedy corporations. Just a lot of stupid **** that makes us look bad to the rest of the world
    Idk
    yeah I used to think like this

Then I became a teacher at a school near the u.s./mexico border with mostly international students. I met students who gave up everything to come to the united states to chase their dream of becoming a pilot. I met students who left their families and ate rice for every meal to even have a chance at the opportunities you and I have. I met a 48 year old student from india who left his family and sold his athletic company to come to our flight school, only to be turned down because he ran out of money. I met a student who worked as a flight instructor without pay for 7 YEARS only to be sent back to kashmir, as no airline would hire someone from disputed territory without the citizenship you and I are born with. I met immigrants that risk their LIVES crossing the border just a mile from my house just to have one shot at the freedom we gawk at.

Meeting those people, it changed a lot of things for me -- it made me thankful. No matter how bad this country seems, you have opportunities that most of the world could not imagine. And yet most of us waste it, all while cursing the very country that gave us those possibilities. It's no wonder so many people look at us Americans in disdain

Sawsbuck

used Jump Kick! It's super effective!
    Years
    Trump's ratings are the lowest for a president in the past 71 years and he was voted in with less than half voters. And if you count the whole population, definitely not in the majority. Republicans are pulling out of supporting a new healthcare bill. Not a great representation of the country.

Loving your country is about loving your culture. Loving your people regardless of race or class. Loving the opportunities it gives you. Its not about small groups of people that seem greater than they really are (such as racists) or "greedy" corporations that are really just a few corporations out of hundreds of thousands of businesses.

Lets instead look at what the people are like. As aforementioned, Americans pull together when times are tough (Harvey and Irma, etc). We have been doing this since the American Revolution and its something that we can be proud of as a nation, and in my opinion, an important value of the US.

True

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    America is great because of the guaranteed unalienable rights, freedom of speech and press, and equality, the ideals that good men and women have fought for, and risked their own lives for.People forget why America is a good place, I'm glad to be American as the son of two immigrants who escaped poverty to come to America to build a better life.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    The simplest reason would be because it's my home. I've had a pretty decent life living where I live. An American ideal is that anyone can become what they want to be and I've always strongly felt that way. i love the diversity in America. If you have a flavor in mind you can probably find it. It's a literal melting pot of people. Also something about the vastness and diversity of the land strikes me. Once I flew across the country for 6 hours and when I landed in California I remember feeling surreal that I was still in America and while it was different it was also the same. It's hard for me to explain, but that experience made me appreciate living here more.

Tricksquad1992

Just chilling in the shadows.
    Years
    I am very neutral about being a resident of the United States of America. Part of me is torn because I'm a Centrist (Not Rebulican or Democrat). I do have friends from most races because they are great people and I have known a few of them since Middle School. I do enjoy my freedom and respect the history ( Inspired History Teacher), but have to be torn between the Media and other events. I don't live in say El Paso, Texas and I was born in Virginia. But to me, The United States isn't about the Politics or the other things, it's about helping another man/woman or whatever said person is identifying by as your neighbor. This Country is a melting pot of Ideals, dreams, aspirations, from many people of different creeds, races, religions.

Back