• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Ancient Ruby/Sapphire

Unown Seer

Earnest
Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2020
    Hoenn dex plus extras found in battles or extra content from Emerald/ORAS. 253 Pokemon in total!
    I'm curious about this. If you take the 210 Pokemon in ORAS' Hoenn Pokemon and add the 36 Emerald extras (including 3 events) plus 3 relatives (Gliscor, Ambipom and Bonsly), that leaves 4 Pokemon. Which ones are they? The Togepi line and Spiritomb sort of stand out in ORAS' post-game, so maybe?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Good question. Well while there's not many there are a few pokemon used exclusively by other trainers so I actually have to cut 2/3 (although I'm hopeful that I won't have to cut any by time full release). I've got a list that covers it saved away somewhere, I'll try post it tomorrow

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • I'm curious about this. If you take the 210 Pokemon in ORAS' Hoenn Pokemon and add the 36 Emerald extras (including 3 events) plus 3 relatives (Gliscor, Ambipom and Bonsly), that leaves 4 Pokemon. Which ones are they? The Togepi line and Spiritomb sort of stand out in ORAS' post-game, so maybe?

Regigigas and Mew would arguably be necessary since the former is related to the trio and Mew has an emerald event. Not every slot has to be used but with the 2 remaining after that I could see something from the new games being added as a mystery gift type event like Meltan. Bloodless and I have talked about it before but probably worth revisiting with LGPE out and SwSh just on the horizon.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Definitely, post swsh release I plan on going over the whole dex again to make sure the extra areas I'm adding are more diverse

Years
    • Seen today
    Hey, nice looking demake! Working on a demade region myself, it's cool to see how others interpret how to display a newer region in the Pokecrystal engine. Will definitely keep this hack in mind as one to follow!

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Hey, nice looking demake! Working on a demade region myself, it's cool to see how others interpret how to display a newer region in the Pokecrystal engine. Will definitely keep this hack in mind as one to follow!

Thanks! Been keeping an eye on yours when I browse the forums, looks great.

Gee, I'm really bad for only posting updates on discord. For now I'll just leave this here. There's a bit more done than this but it gives a good idea of the new graphical direction as the hack has evolved. It's a pretty large image so click on through:

https://imgur.com/a/NcWS0vp

bh02032002

Currently open for rom hack beta testing.
    Years
  • Thanks! Been keeping an eye on yours when I browse the forums, looks great.

Gee, I'm really bad for only posting updates on discord. For now I'll just leave this here. There's a bit more done than this but it gives a good idea of the new graphical direction as the hack has evolved. It's a pretty large image so click on through:

damn that's a decent chunk done as hacking takes time. good luck with the rest of the hack!

Years
    • Seen today
    Thanks! Been keeping an eye on yours when I browse the forums, looks great.

Impressive tilework!

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I want to write a full update since I mostly only post in the discord (I'll work on getting better at that!).

So, as I've mentioned in previous posts the hack is currently delayed waiting for engine updates on Polished Crystal, those are nearly complete, the only thing left to wait for is Newbox (which is a gen 3+ style Pokémon box system, perfectly fitting for ARSE).

I'd like to discuss the release plan going forward so everyone knows what to expect in the coming months (and no doubt year). I'll be working on Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald versions simultaneously going forward.
    Spoiler:

Now that's out the way I'd like to show some of what I've been working on in the past year. The plan is for Ruby and Sapphire to have sprite differences, much like Gold and Silver, with the added benefit of having animations like Crystal. This is the sprite dex as it currently stands. Warning: Large image.
    Spoiler:

And here's some gifs showing a selection of the animations.
    Spoiler:

All new trainer sprites, mostly from RSE but including a whole of new characters from various expanded universe content.
    Spoiler:

Various mock-ups and shots of new graphics.
    Spoiler:

And the current state of maps (note, not all complete maps are on this stitch, I'll update it in coming days). Plus a mockup of the intended progression for Sevii.
    Spoiler:

I also spent some time making official art.
    Spoiler:

I hope this answers any questions people might have and sparks some new excitement!

Last edited:

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    wow nice work on the custom animations for the GSC styled 3rd gen pokemon.

Years
    • Seen today
    @CrystalConix

These are custom Gen II sprites based on the Gen III art. They are probably custom made.

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2021
    I want to write a full update since I mostly only post in the discord (I'll work on getting better at that!).

So, as I've mentioned in previous posts the hack is currently delayed waiting for engine updates on Polished Crystal, those are nearly complete, the only thing left to wait for is Newbox (which is a gen 3+ style Pokémon box system, perfectly fitting for ARSE).

I'd like to discuss the release plan going forward so everyone knows what to expect in the coming months (and no doubt year). I'll be working on Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald versions simultaneously going forward.
    Spoiler:

Now that's out the way I'd like to show some of what I've been working on in the past year. The plan is for Ruby and Sapphire to have sprite differences, much like Gold and Silver, with the added benefit of having animations like Crystal. This is the sprite dex as it currently stands. Warning: Large image.
    Spoiler:

And here's some gifs showing a selection of the animations.
    Spoiler:

All new trainer sprites, mostly from RSE but including a whole of new characters from various expanded universe content.
    Spoiler:

Various mock-ups and shots of new graphics.
    Spoiler:

And the current state of maps (note, not all complete maps are on this stitch, I'll update it in coming days). Plus a mockup of the intended progression for Sevii.
    Spoiler:

I also spent some time making official art.
    Spoiler:

I hope this answers any questions people might have and sparks some new excitement!

Couldn't give an estimate on finishing even if I tried. As for next release. It depends what people want. I could do another teaser release, like 1 gyms worth of content to show off some of the other things I'll be adding (currently got someone working on some features and may be porting it to Polished Crystal) or I could wait for a 3 gym beta.

Any update when the next release will be dropped?? Been wanting to play this since the beta

Back