• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime everyone should watch

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
  • That explains why you are still sane =D
    I mean, it isn't like the original series was insanity.
    The creator just went a little overboard with the symbols he used in there and his creativity in using obscure scenes to compensate for lack of budget lol.

I personally believe that every anime fan should watch both the originals and the movies, tbh. Since the movies are not complete, I can't say which series is better or whatever right now but...I prefer the originals, so far at least. Both definitely worth a watch, though.

And, to add to my previous post - this might just be my extreme bias speaking but...I think all anime fans should experience Gintama sometime, too. Like, fine, I get it - it is long, it has a crappy beginning and gets boring sometimes (initial episodes, really). But once it gets going, my god. There's no other anime that provides the same kind of satisfaction and enjoyment every damn episode, really.

Captain Morgan

Please post responsibly
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 15, 2016
    The only one I really stress for everyone to watch is Cowboy Bebop. Infact I try and get my friends who could careless about anime to watch it too. I think it's one of the greatest series made, period.

That way if they don't like it, but praise FT or SAO I can swiftly cut them out of my life.

But really, I try and tailor what I think someone should watch by what they have already seen cause people are different, and as much as I think everyone should love Death Note, Magi, TTGL, Wolf's Rain, Ranma 1/2, Gundams, etc you gotta take into account some people just don't like what you do.

Years
  • I don't think there is a definitive list of shows for everyone but I do think that anime fans should occasionally look back into the past whilst choosing what to watch. Most people that enjoy the medium will also enjoy things from previous generations so it just makes sense.

It counts.

Dunno about that. For me the rebuilds are on par with that horse racing advert. You haven't truly experienced Eva until you've seen the series.

The horse racing advert for those that are yet to see it.

AlphaTangoFoxtrot

Johto-vah's Witness
    Years
  • I think it should be a rite of passage that everyone experiences the heart-wrenching pain of watching Clannad and Clannad Afterstory. It doesn't get much more beautiful than that. Similarly, Anohana is emotional torture in the best sort of way.

Also, if they ever remake Angel Beats but give it more than 12 episodes to progress and develop, I think it would be absolutely amazing. Also if they fix the glaring plot hole at the end. As it is, Angel Beats still has just about the greatest soundtrack in the history of anime and the premise is still amazing. Just too much content jammed into too little of a time frame.

derozio

Years
  • I think it should be a rite of passage that everyone experiences the heart-wrenching pain of watching Clannad and Clannad Afterstory. It doesn't get much more beautiful than that. Similarly, Anohana is emotional torture in the best sort of way.

Also, if they ever remake Angel Beats but give it more than 12 episodes to progress and develop, I think it would be absolutely amazing. Also if they fix the glaring plot hole at the end. As it is, Angel Beats still has just about the greatest soundtrack in the history of anime and the premise is still amazing. Just too much content jammed into too little of a time frame.
    QTF.

Especially the part about Angel Beats. People call it a masterpiece - I'd say it is too rushed to even call it a decent heart-wrenching story. I couldn't get attached to the characters so I missed the impact of some of the most pivotal moments in the show (you know, like the friggin' ending). >_>

Anohana does things much better, in my opinion. And Clannad is one of my all time favorites in this regard. Characters are lovely and I just cried my eyes out haha.

As for EVA, Rebuilds are just a different beast tbh. They're targeted at a slightly different audience, imo. The originals had a lot of moments that just contributed to nothing but character development. Movies take a more straightforward approach and are more preoccupied with making things happen on-screen to try to have your attention at all times. I like them both a lot but movies just lack a lot of "substance", in my opinion. Stuff that makes me care about the characters/think about how fucked up their circumstances made them as people and whatnot.

Raven Valt

You gave me power in your gods name.
    Years
  • Can't believe no one has said Argento Soma, It's a great anime about losing someone you loved before you could tell them and the revenge which strings from that. Doing whatever it takes to get that revenge but ultimately realizing that getting revenge isn't going to bring back that person.

Alex Kaz

#freecoffee
    Years
  • Anime everyone should watch?
    Code Geass obviously, because there is no other way to learn about Lelouch's magnificence.

derozio

Years
  • I'd like to add Gintama to the list of the anime I personally think should be watched by everybody.

Gave it a miss the last time I posted here because there are too many roadblocks in place that effectively stops a good portion of the people who start watching it from actually getting into it. Things such as the first two episodes being filler, initial twenty episodes being mostly not-so-funny introductions and the series not actually picking up for a good 30-50 episodes depending on the person who is watching the series.

But you know what? Screw it.

All that matters is that I firmly stand by my opinion when I say there's nothing quite like the experience that Gintama provides you. It is definitely one of the best anime watching experiences I've ever had and it has made me laugh more than any piece of entertainment ever has or will ever manage for a good time to come in the future. I'll have to give it credit for that if nothing else. So yes, I believe Gintama is an essential watch. Because it is an experience that, despite rocky beginnings, is totally worth it.

AlphaTangoFoxtrot

Johto-vah's Witness
    Years
  • I'm adding Your Lie in April to this list. I never thought a show about a group of 14-year-olds could make me weep like a small child. I was proven wrong. The soundtrack itself is just an absolutely surreal experience. It's absolutely magical the way the creators were able to put sound to use in a way that just overwhelms you with emotion. I'd even recommend the dub here. The English VAs actually did a really freaking good job with this one.

It's on Netflix now! (which is how I even found out there was a dub) so it's relatively easy access! (Both sub and dub are available.)

Back