• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime when you were a kid

Years
  • My childhood mostly consisted of watching American cartoons on Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon. With the occasional smattering of Pokemon and Digimon, with me discovering Yu Yu Hakusho, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball GT through my cousins when I was 10. I got into Yu-Gi-Oh! for a bit when it first hit the States as well, but I was already 12, and I became fully aware of what anime actually was a couple years after that.

VanillaMiltank

GET SOME MILK
    Years
  • I remember watching some pretty cool anime when I was about 9 or 10....
    Dragonball Z - although I wasn't too crazy about it, I think because of it being particularly violent/scary for me!
    Gundam Wing - Me and my mum used to LOVE this programme!!!
    Tenchi Muyo - A big favourite (the little brown furry in it was so sweet!)
    Beyblade - Quite an enjoyable programme, mainly because of the cool bit-beasts!

Giggleswee

[Screaming in emoji]
    Years
  • The only anime I watched when I was a kid was Yu Yu Hakashou
    Anime when you were a kid

I watched it when I was still under 6.

Kurosaki

(「・ω・)「
    Years
  • Uuum, I watched Pokemon and Detective Conan in Japanese with a friend of mine before I knew they were anime. I also eventually watched Sailor Moon and Monster Rancher. I knew they were Japanese, but I didn't know they were classified as "anime", and there were tons more of them until a few years later.

Also, DBZ, almost forgot that one.

Going back to when I was like... four, Speed Racer re-runs were on TV. lol

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • Maybe I didn't know what anime exactly was, but as a kid I could tell some anime apart from other cartoons I watched. When you watch a lot of them, you slowly realize that Duck Tales and Dragon Ball are so different visually. Though it was mostly shounen and magical girl stuff I thought was anime. Just imagine how shocked I was when I found out that some "cartoons" I watched were anime, like Peter Pan, Pinocchio, Alice in Wonderland , Heidi, Calimero, Moomin, Nils etc.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • Ah, yes. The classic weekday morning cartoon + anime session before school. I remember thinking that Yu-Gi-Oh! and Dragon Ball Z were the normal cartoons from the US and such, just more stylised. I too was quite surprised when I realised that they were actually Japanese animations translated into English.

Hey, at least it provided me with a gateway, and it was some pretty good stuff.

DarkestMidnight

[color=black][b][font=Shadows Into Light]Demon Sla
    Years
  • Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, and Dragon Ball Z. It's kind of funny, I don't feel like I even registered it back then, but I've basically been into anime my whole life.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • Beyblade, Yugioh and Digimon for me. I didn't get into Pokemon until about 12 maybe? I hardly even remember. In fact though, I never got into anime until after that with Beyblade, Yugioh and Digimon. XD

SushiFeelings

(´・ω・`)
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Jun 12, 2016
    My brother and I use to watch a bunch of shows together when we were kids, but it was mainly Inuyasha, Case Closed, Dragon Ball Z, Yu-Gi-Oh, and King of the Hill. We use to stay up until midnight in order to watch two episodes of Case Closed every night, even though we would be exhausted for school the next morning it was always worth it cause that show was dank.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Sailor Moon was before my time (it aired in 1997 and 1998 in Romania lol)... girls were obssesed with W.I.T.C.H (a worse Sailor Moon made in Italy) which aired much later. I used to watch DBZ in 2004 sometimes when I got home from kindergarten, but only this year have I really started to appreciate it (currently at the beginning of the Buu Saga). There was also Shaman King and Naruto late in the evening sometime in 2007-08-09. Anime wasn't that popular in Romania tbh.

However I do plan to watch Sailor Moon in the near future, since well I have Usagi in my avatar.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • I'm a 90's kid, so my childhood was basically Dragon Ball, Rurouni Kenshin, Card Captor Sakura, Digimon and Pokemon (no specific order).

My obsession with all of them really hit me during the following stages of my life, and turned me into a f*cking weabo lol
    These for the most part heh.

But even before these, the ones that I watched while not being aware that they are "anime" are these two gems:

The Legend of Zorro
    The Story of Cinderella

These two were my life back when they aired. Loved them to death. <3; Had no idea they were japanese anime, though, so I referred to them as the cartoons with characters possessing pointy chins XD;

Fushigi Yuugi was my earliest contact with anime, actually. But I don't think it counts since I watched bits and pieces here and there of that one. Didn't exactly follow it. I finally finished it 14 years later when I stumbled upon it when I tried to search for an anime the I used to watch with great art, a "priestess" and a love story along with supernatural elements. Looked up its OP track on youtube and immediately knew it was the very same series. Nothing else stayed with me over the course of those 14 years but that OP song was strongly etched into my memory heh.

Drogan

Master of the Cannons
    Years
  • The anime I saw as a child were Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, a bit of Dragon Ball, DBZ, Sonic X, Mega Man NT Warrior, and maybe an episode or two of Yu Yu Hakusho.
    There were others I knew, but wasn't into like Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura, for obvious reasons. There might be a few I might have left out only because I don't remember the name of them.

Dragon Ball, DBZ, Pokemon, and Yu-Gi-Oh!, I don't have to explain what I liked about it because I'm sure someone already said it. Yu Yu Hakusho was just out of curiosity. Sonic X was because the episodes I started watching were based on Sonic Adventure, which is my favorite Sonic the Hedgehog game, so I lost my mind when I saw it. I wastched Mega Man NT Warrior because I had Mega Man Battle Network 3 White so I though it was cool that it was just like the show... I saw the show first.

I've gone back to YuGiOh and Pokemon and can still somewhat enjoy it. DBZ is hard to go back to so I use Kai as an alternative, replacing the awesome Bruce Faulconer music for the faster paced DBZ experience.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • Digimon and Pokemon, but Digimon was the one that really grabbed me as an anime. Then as now Pokemon was mostly about the games for me.

There wasn't really a moment when I learned that they were Japanese, but that might be because I started watching Digimon halfway through its first season, and the dub had already made it clear that the characters were from Japan. Also I was watching with an older brother who knew these kinds of things. What I didn't realize until years later was just how much they changed in adaptation - I had always assumed for example that the music was Japanese too. When I first saw the Japanese opening for Digimon Adventure on youtube my headphones were up too loud and I wasn't expecting anything different so I might have literally jumped out of my chair. :)

TaintedBeing said:
    My favorite anime as a child would definetly and most likely be SpongeBob SquarePants, terrible plot but amazing humor.
    This is the best answer. xD

Reunilu

of the Eastern Skies
    Years
  • Same deal as the rest of this thread. Lots of Bakugan, Beyblade, Pokemon, sometimes Yu-gi-oh if I was really bored and waiting for the weekly episode of Pokemon. At some point in my life, I starting arranging my sleep patterns to wake up at 4 in the morning(ish) just to watch Inuyasha, but that's a story that I should save for another time. iirc, I think I watched the first 167 episodes (twice? idk) before I turned thirteen because of my adjusted sleep patterns.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I used to watch so much Naruto when I was younger! I remember that I really liked Neji for some reason and that Rock Lee would always make me laugh. I didn't know it was anime at the time but I thought it was the coolest show on TV so I'd always stay up late to watch it, haha. My Dad used to be pretty into Naruto too so we'd watch it together.

I think I also watched quite a bit of Pokemon and Doraemon! Not too often but I remember that I'd always make a goal to rewatch all of the Pokemon movies every year,

Crizzle

Legend
    Years
  • When I was a kid, I watched a lot of Pokemon and a little bit(an episode here and there) of some other anime such as Yuyu Hakusho, One Piece, Naruto, Kenshin,
    Funny thing is that in my teens, I revisited most of that anime and liked and followed it even more than I did as a child. Still try to keep up with some anime(and manga) to this day.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2016
    For the few I can recall:
    Naruto, DBZ, Bleach, Hamtaro, One Piece, and Pokemon obviosuly

Back