• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Also, pokemon.happiness>=0 checks for whether the happiness is greater than or equal to zero; i.e. it's always true. You want pokemon.happiness==0 to check for minimum happiness.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2011
    Hi !

Do you know how it's possible to have a line of tile made so that, everytime you step on them, some character does the -!- reaction, and comes to you, say something, and then get back to its places ? I was able nor to move the guy, nor to find on I can do the -!- reaction.

Thanks !

partyghoul2000

Intermediate Game Designer
    Years
    • Age 36
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 24, 2014
    Hi !

Do you know how it's possible to have a line of tile made so that, everytime you step on them, some character does the -!- reaction, and comes to you, say something, and then get back to its places ? I was able nor to move the guy, nor to find on I can do the -!- reaction.

Thanks !

if you're talking about a trainer battle, it's explained in the notes.html. if you're talking something like the old man in virdian city who teaches you about catching pokemon, then i believe the best way to be setup events on every one of the tiles in the line.

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
    Years
  • thanks a bunch wichu and maruno. You see, I am making a custom evolution of eevee(yea, i know, too many right?) called spectreon. Its a ghost type that evolves when its happiness is 0.( Im changing it to less than 5, more reasonable that way). BTW, thanks for your guys's help.

Danno

Formerly Meowth, AKA InnerMobius
    Years
  • Ahh! I'm getting this error when I try to go up the stairs in my pokemon center...

Exception: NoMethodError

Game_Character_1:172:in `screen_z'

Sprite_Character:100:in `update_or'

PerspectiveTilemap:408:in `shadow_update'

Shadow:167:in `update'

Sprite_Character:6:in `perspectivetilemap_initialize'

PerspectiveTilemap:404:in `shadow_initialize'

Shadow:143:in `initialize'

Spriteset_Map:27:in `new'

Spriteset_Map:27:in `_animationSprite_initialize'

Spriteset_Map:26:in `each'

This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
    ---------------------------
    OK

How do I fix it?

EDIT::::

Nevermind, I just decided to delete the top floor.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2011
    if you're talking about a trainer battle, it's explained in the notes.html. if you're talking something like the old man in virdian city who teaches you about catching pokemon, then i believe the best way to be setup events on every one of the tiles in the line.

Yeah I guess I had to put events on every tile of the line. But what do I have to had to make the -!- sign appear ?

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
  • Yeah I guess I had to put events on every tile of the line. But what do I have to had to make the -!- sign appear ?

Open the event and add "Show Animation" command. Select animation 017:EM Exclamation and afterwards add the "Wait" command to 9 frames (that's only if you want the next part to appear after the "!").

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Yeah I guess I had to put events on every tile of the line. But what do I have to had to make the -!- sign appear ?
    Actually, I had a thought and I discovered something a bit easier. You can treat your event as a trainer, but just not include the actual battling part.

That is, rename your event to "Trainer(3)" (where the 3 can be replaced by its range, presumably the entire width of a path) and use the following script:

Code:
    Kernel.pbNoticePlayer(get_character(0))
    This script pops up the "!" bubble and moves the event next to the player. The purpose of the name "Trainer(3)" (without a space) makes the event activate only when the player comes within that range, even if it's not a trainer.

The only downside with this is that, unless you're tricky with other events that can temporarily become blockable, or you always place these events right next to a non-passable object (e.g. house/tree/fence), you can't return the event back to exactly where it started afterwards. But I'm sure you can play around and see what you can come up with.

partyghoul2000

Years
    • Age 36
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 24, 2014
    Actually, I had a thought and I discovered something a bit easier. You can treat your event as a trainer, but just not include the actual battling part.

That is, rename your event to "Trainer(3)" (where the 3 can be replaced by its range, presumably the entire width of a path) and use the following script:

Code:
    Kernel.pbNoticePlayer(get_character(0))
    This script pops up the "!" bubble and moves the event next to the player. The purpose of the name "Trainer(3)" (without a space) makes the event activate only when the player comes within that range, even if it's not a trainer.

The only downside with this is that, unless you're tricky with other events that can temporarily become blockable, or you always place these events right next to a non-passable object (e.g. house/tree/fence), you can't return the event back to exactly where it started afterwards. But I'm sure you can play around and see what you can come up with.

wow, i can't believe i didn't think of that. kudos Maruno. :D i now have a bit of eventing to fix. :P *goes to change events*

Hardy Har Har

Oh dear, oh my...
    Years
  • When my foe uses a multi-turn move during battles, an error pops up. Here's the error:
    Exception: ArgumentError
    PokeBattle_Battler:1462:in `pbNumHits'
    PokeBattle_Battler:1462:in `pbUseMove'
    PokeBattle_Battler:1449:in `loop'
    PokeBattle_Battler:1475:in `pbUseMove'
    PokeBattle_Battler:1733:in `pbProcessTurn'
    PokeBattle_Battler:1732:in `logonerr'
    PokeBattle_Battler:1732:in `pbProcessTurn'
    PokeBattle_Battle:2556:in `pbAttackPhase'
    PokeBattle_Battle:2555:in `each'
    PokeBattle_Battle:2555:in `pbAttackPhase'
    Any help on fixing this will be appreciated.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • I was wondering where I would locate the pbHeadbutt script. I am planning on changing it a bit but cannot seem to locate it :S. Any help would be awesome.

partyghoul2000

Years
    • Age 36
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 24, 2014
    I was wondering where I would locate the pbHeadbutt script. I am planning on changing it a bit but cannot seem to locate it :S. Any help would be awesome.

pbHeadbutt would be in the PokemonField script on lines 1795, 1815, 1821, 2090, 2091 and 2501. if you press control, shift and F, it'll allow you to search all the scripts for certain snippets and whatnot. it makes finding stuff a flash.

ok, for all those in the essentials community, i have come across a script that would allow more than 999 maps. i believe this would come in handy for those devs who are trying to make all regions plus they're own, or something to that effect. anyways, the problem is, when i tried to insert the script, i came across an error. if this script can be intergrated into essentials, it would help alot of devs, including myself, with large projects that span across alot of maps. well here's the original script:
    Spoiler:

and the error:
    Spoiler:

Danno

Formerly Meowth, AKA InnerMobius
    Years
  • How do I set up a shop? I don't see an example in the demo...

EDIT: Nevermind, card shop. :P

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    pbHeadbutt would be in the PokemonField script on lines 1795, 1815, 1821, 2090, 2091 and 2501. if you press control, shift and F, it'll allow you to search all the scripts for certain snippets and whatnot. it makes finding stuff a flash.

ok, for all those in the essentials community, i have come across a script that would allow more than 999 maps. i believe this would come in handy for those devs who are trying to make all regions plus they're own, or something to that effect. anyways, the problem is, when i tried to insert the script, i came across an error. if this script can be intergrated into essentials, it would help alot of devs, including myself, with large projects that span across alot of maps. well here's the original script:
    Spoiler:

and the error:
    Spoiler:

Did you do this?
    Spoiler:

In this case, I guess it would be line 33 you have to change instead.

Years
  • I have 2 questions and i hope someone can help, because they're sort of essential lol.

1 - Is there any way to edit the max level that a Pokemon can be?
    I've seen it somewhere before, but I can't remember where, and it was when I wasn't really developing...

2 - Also how can i make the exp gain animation in battles go the other way up the battle box, from right to left instead of from left to right.

Any help would be appreciated ^_^
    Thanks.

partyghoul2000

Years
    • Age 36
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 24, 2014
    Did you do this?
    Spoiler:

In this case, I guess it would be line 33 you have to change instead.

yep, i did that. hence the invalid value error on line 33. :P

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I have 2 questions and i hope someone can help, because they're sort of essential lol.

I've seen it somewhere before, but I can't remember where, and it was when I wasn't really developing...

2 - Also how can i make the exp gain animation in battles go the other way up the battle box, from right to left instead of from left to right.

Thanks.
    1 - Yes, and it's completely easy. It was also asked in here not that long ago. I'm surprised your searching for answers before asking the questions didn't come up with anything.

PBExperience, line 67. Go. The EXP curves are even already programmed in, so line 67 is literally all you need to change.

2 - I'm not so sure on this. You'll be wanting to look in PokeBattle_ActualScene, from line 534 and vaguely onwards from there. It's rather complicated. Lines 544 and 629 look interesting, though (the first is the calculation for how long the bar is, and the second is the line that makes the coloured bar).

You'll be wanting to set the EXP bar coordinates (which correspond to the top-left corner of the bar) to depend on the level EXP. At a rough guess, add in the first line below and change line 629 to something like the second:

Code:
    expFullBar=PokeBattle_Scene::EXPGAUGESIZE

self.bitmap.fill_rect(@spritebaseX+expGaugeX+expFullBar-self.exp,@spritebaseY+expGaugeY,self.exp,4,PokeBattle_Scene::EXPCOLOR)
    The first line is inserted around line 620, amongst the similar-looking lines that define expGaugeX and so forth, i.e. just before line 629

If that's correct, it should work with just that change. Note now that I don't (yet) know how everything fits together, and that there may be a load more changes required. This is just a starter, and you can take it from there.

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
    Years
  • I have 2 questions and i hope someone can help, because they're sort of essential lol.

Thanks.

For the max level edit, go to your pbExperience tab in your script editor. There should be a number called max level. Just change it to what you want. If the level is higher than 100 the script automatically changes the exp table to a formula. About the exp gain animation, i have no idea...sorry.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I'd like to take the opportunity to bump my question.

I have a question. How does the Regional Dex numbers thing work? I've tried putting the following line (or similar) into pokemon.txt in a handful of the pokémon sections, but when I go to compile I get the error below.

RegionalNumbers=19,2,0

This particular line is supposed to mean there are three regional Dexes, and the pokémon in question is number 19 in region A, number 2 in region B and is not in region C. The notes don't give much information about how to implement Regional Numbers (it doesn't give an example), but from what I can tell multiple Regional Dexes are allowed.

Code:
    Pokemon Essentials
    Exception: RuntimeError
    Message: Regional Pokédex number cannot be 0 (section {2}, PBS/pokemon.txt)
    Compiler:2330:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
    Compiler:2293:in `each'
    Compiler:2293:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
    Compiler:2291:in `loop'
    Compiler:2362:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
    Compiler:2279:in `each'
    Compiler:2279:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
    Compiler:2278:in `each'
    Compiler:2278:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
    Compiler:2264:in `pbEachFileSection'

This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.
    Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
    OK   
    Sine it's an optional line, I figured it didn't matter that not all of the pokémon had this line in (which would naturally take me a while to insert; I will do eventually, but at the moment I just want to test it).

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2011
    Hi
    I'm doing a move that multiplies by 3 the damages done during a critical hit. I tried to look into the scripts to see where the damage were calculated during a critical hit. Here's what I found :

Pokebattle_move line 247 :
    Code:
     #Stat Stages
     #back
     atkstage=attacker.stages[PBStats::ATTACK]+6
     spatkstage=attacker.stages[PBStats::SPATK]+6
     defstage=opponent.stages[PBStats::DEFENSE]+6
     spdefstage=opponent.stages[PBStats::SPDEF]+6
     if opponent.damagestate.critical
      atkstage=6 if atkstage>6
      spatkstage=6 if spatkstage>6
      defstage=6 if defstage<6
      spdefstage=6 if spdefstage<6
     end

So.... I don't get it : why is the attacker's attack lowered when you're supposed to do a critical hit ?? thanks !

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back