• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
    • Online now
    Tag 15 - Puddles
    Reflection but not surfable, plays animation when walked upon, again I guess I could use a placeholder animation until I make one.
    You'll need to make a new terrain tag that just shows reflections, then.

Firstly, read up on terrain tags in the wiki. Note that the editor can give tiles any terrain tag at all, not just the ones listed in the table there, so it's easy to just give your puddles terrain tag 14.

As far as I can imagine, all you need to do is edit a single line near the top of Spriteset_Map:

Code:
    if @event.map.terrain_tag(@event.x,nextY)!=6 [COLOR=Red]&& @event.map.terrain_tag(@event.x,nextY)!=14[/COLOR]
    Add the stuff in red. I think that's all you really need to do. If you want other effects, such as changing the battle backgrounds to depict a puddle environment, you'll need to make a few other changes too.

Zadow

Pokemon Ebony Developer
    Years
  • I'm sorry for missing that post FL.
    Thank you.
    It works creating the reflection but I still have no clue how to add an animation for it in the script.
    I've tried just looking around in the terrain tag stuff but it all looks quite confusing.
    I'd appreciate any help with the remaining terrain tags.
    *Waits patiently*

IRC

Internet Relay Chat
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2014
    Oh thanks muchly.

I wish I would've known that from the start. (:

[who didn't plan to use night/day in the first place]

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
  • You can also set all maps to be Outdoor=false if you don't like to use the night/day thing.
    Bad idea. Calling a map "outdoor" means more than shading the screen - you can only run outside, and you can only use Fly outside too.

It's also too much work. Just look in PokemonUtilities and find the line that says "ENABLESHADING = true" (around line 314). Change it to false. Job done.

Hi, I was wondering if someone could lend me a hand in adding some new terrain tags.
    I'll propose them in a sensible order
    Tag 14 - Ash Covered Grass
    Like in RSE I want to be able to set a tag for ash covered grass.
    I guess one way to do it would be to have the tile just disappear when walked upon(with normal grass on a lower layer) along with an animation which I can make, using a placeholder of the normal grass animation.
    I want it to check for the soot sack switch (not item) and if ON it should add 1 to the variable Soot (variable 40 currently in my game).
    (I tried doing this with events but it was much too laggy with all those events on the map >.< )
    Tag 15 - Puddles
    Reflection but not surfable, plays animation when walked upon, again I guess I could use a placeholder animation until I make one.
    Tag 16 - Beach Sand
    Just plays an animation (footprints) when walked upon (Beneath player not above)

I also wondered if it's possible to change the Terrain tag 10 Tall grass to disable passage if the player is riding a bike? (possibly disable running too)

Any and all help is appreciated, as I'm not a scripter but have a vague general understanding clear instructions or tips are the most helpful. Thank you for reading (and hopefully helping)!
    As far as the ripple animation for puddles goes, tall grass rustles when you walk through it. Take a peek in PokemonField and find "Events.onStepTakenFieldMovement", specifically the lines:

Code:
     if currentTag==PBTerrain::Grass
      $scene.spriteset.addUserAnimation(GRASS_ANIMATION_ID,event.x,event.y)
    Copy-paste that, use "15" instead of "PBTerrain::Grass", and use "PUDDLE_ANIMATION_ID" instead of "GRASS_ANIMATION_ID". Then, right at the top of PokemonField, add in the appropriate line. The animation itself goes in the database (F9), and I suspect it will display on top of the player (which isn't right), so you'll have to figure out how to solve that.

For ashy grass, do the same as above, but add 1 to your soot count (if you have the bag for it) and somehow make sure that tile shows cleared grass until you leave the map - I won't tell you how to do this partly because you need to work for it, but mainly because I don't know how.

Sand is a bit harder. You'll need a longer footprint animation, and two versions of it (moving horizontally or vertically). Implement it like the grass animation again, with the animation used depending on the player's facing direction. Remember to fix it appearing above the player.

That's all I'm giving you. It may well end up being a tutorial, if/when I get round to writing it up (along with my other ones).

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Online now
    Bad idea. Calling a map "outdoor" means more than shading the screen - you can only run outside, and you can only use Fly outside too.

It's also too much work. Just look in PokemonUtilities and find the line that says "ENABLESHADING = true" (around line 314). Change it to false. Job done.
    Yeah, today I fond this shading thing.
    For run in any non-outdoor maps like DP and posterior games, in Walk_Run
    Code:
    def pbCanRun?
     return Input.press?(Input::A) && 
        $PokemonGlobal &&
        $PokemonGlobal.runningShoes &&
       (
        pbGetMetadata($game_map.map_id,MetadataOutdoor) ||
        ($PokemonEncounters && $PokemonEncounters.isCave?)
       ) && 
       !@move_route_forcing && 
       !$PokemonGlobal.diving &&
       !$PokemonGlobal.surfing &&
       !$PokemonGlobal.bicycle
    end
    change to
    Code:
    def pbCanRun?
        $PokemonGlobal &&
       (
        pbGetMetadata($game_map.map_id,MetadataOutdoor)
       ) && 
       !@move_route_forcing && 
       !$PokemonGlobal.diving &&
       !$PokemonGlobal.surfing &&
       !$PokemonGlobal.bicycle
    end
    To run while using Surf/Dive (without changing graphics) use the above code instead.
    Code:
    def pbCanRun?
        $PokemonGlobal &&
       (
        pbGetMetadata($game_map.map_id,MetadataOutdoor)
       ) && 
       !@move_route_forcing && 
       !$PokemonGlobal.bicycle
    end

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2014
    Is there any way to increase the volume of the music played in battles? It always sound faint by default, and on tracks that aren't set to a blasting volume, I can barely hear the music at all.

Ryan Hekk

Game Developer
    Years
  • Okay. So I tried to compile my game to distribute it and selected "Create Encrypted Archive", to protect my game from being edited. However, when I uncompressed the .exe, the PBS files were still there, and weren't included in the encrypted archive. Does this mean that if I distribute my game now, people will be able to edit the PBS files and change the game in their favour? How do I stop this from happening?

Also, how do I change the name of the .rgssad file?

Last edited:

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • 1-Use $Trainer.ablePokemonCount
    4-You can put in the minigames like Pokéathlon performance stats, Triple Triad values, a customizable Hidden Power and some new move attack that compares users and opponent certain IVs and the power can varies like 40 to 120.

1. Yes! That's exactly what I needed, thank you!
    4. Great ideas. I may end up having a Pokéathlon-type thing that uses the IV's for something (However, unlike the Pokéathlon, wont be screen mashing and completely boring).

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Online now
    Okay. So I tried to compile my game to distribute it and selected "Create Encrypted Archive", to protect my game from being edited. However, when I uncompressed the .exe, the PBS files were still there, and weren't included in the encrypted archive. Does this mean that if I distribute my game now, people will be able to edit the PBS files and change the game in their favour? How do I stop this from happening?

Also, how do I change the name of the .rgssad file?
    I thinks what be other way, but the http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=239535 also work.

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
    Years
  • That is weird I was also planning to make a racing mini-game, Now that I upgraded my game to 60 fps, and fixed some glitches when it run that fast lag is not really noticeable anymore...

But, why does the maps lag when the player is near the map connection?

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Online now
    That is weird I was also planning to make a racing mini-game, Now that I upgraded my game to 60 fps, and fixed some glitches when it run that fast lag is not really noticeable anymore...

But, why does the maps lag when the player is near the map connection?
    How you upgrade to 60 fps?
    And anyone had any tips to reduce the lag other that use a old version?
    I fond that the Original Map View reduce the lag, but the game looks bad with this, even I don't really understand the difference for map views original and custom, someone can explain for me?

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
    Years
  • How you upgrade to 60 fps?
    And anyone had any tips to reduce the lag other that use a old version?
    I fond that the Original Map View reduce the lag, but the game looks bad with this, even I don't really understand the difference for map views original and custom, someone can explain for me?

find
    Graphics.frame_rate, or something similar its in RGSS2 script (the first one.)

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
    Years
  • Is there any reason that, in the latest version of Essentials, I'm getting a ~300ms pause every few seconds? It doesn't sound that bad on paper, but it makes things almost unplayable.

This is a clean version, running on a very powerful machine. Have no troubles with any other RPG Maker games, so I know it's a problem with Essentials and not RMXP.

Years
  • That's a problem with the latest version, i'm not sure why at all though.
    I haven't worked with essentials for a while, but i'm assuming it's because of everything the Scene_Map class has to deal with, or something refreshing at that point.

It may sound like a bad idea, but try downgrading to the version before :D

Until Poccil's site comes back up (If more people donate), We're stuck with this version :3

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Online now
    find
    Graphics.frame_rate, or something similar its in RGSS2 script (the first one.)
    That thing has even in the RGSS Help, but I have not see before.
    But this thing speeds up the WHOLE GAME O__o, not just reduce the lag...

Is there any reason that, in the latest version of Essentials, I'm getting a ~300ms pause every few seconds? It doesn't sound that bad on paper, but it makes things almost unplayable.

This is a clean version, running on a very powerful machine. Have no troubles with any other RPG Maker games, so I know it's a problem with Essentials and not RMXP.
    Try to use the 04/03/2010 version on wikia, was less lag.
    Put if anyone discover any other anti-lag tips just post here.

By the way, has anyone try to contact poccil to deal with these questions? He has knowledge about wikia? He was continuing to update the essentials in this period that the site is still off?
    Poccil had an a account in several sites, especially the wiki ones, he aways using his channel in youtube.

Last edited:

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
    Years
  • That thing has even in the RGSS Help, but I have not see before.

Try to use the 04/03/2010 version on wikia, was less lag.
    Put if anyone discover any other anti-lag tips just post here.

By the way, has anyone try to contact poccil to deal with these questions? He has knowledge about wikia? He was continuing to update the essentials in this period that the site is still off?
    Poccil had an a account in several sites, especially the wiki ones, he aways using his channel in youtube.

That is why you also have to edit a few other scripts, I will show you what I done when a demo is released of my game (hopefully next month).

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
    Years
  • That thing has even in the RGSS Help, but I have not see before.

That is working as intended.

Since all timing in Essentials is measured by frames (i.e., pbWait, animations, transitions), increasing the number of frames per second - while making things smother - will speed the game up.

Considering that many transitions and animations are by default rather slow, increasing the framerate to 60 is probably a good idea. You'll probably want to reduce the player movement in Walk_Run if you do this, however.

Poccil still responds to PMs on occasion, but suffice to say he is no longer actively working on Essentials. To be honest, there's no real reason to. There's a few broken/missing features, but for the most part it's working fine. There's only been one game in over four years that has actually been completed with Essentials, so I don't blame him for not investing more time into it.

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
    Years
  • You can make that two at the end of 2011 when I complete my game with Essentials.

Not to be a downer or anything, but that's probably not going to happen. Browse through all the pages in the Games Showcase and count how many abandoned games there are. In fact, count all the threads in the showcase. With the exception of Raptor, there isn't a single finished game in there. Acanthite, as an example, is still semi-active and has been around for years, yet will never be completed.

The main problem is that those who are actually serious about finishing a game focus far too much on perfection and spend all their time coding fancy menus and implementing flashy graphics. All this stuff makes for wonderful screenshots and impressive videos, of course, undeniably. The only problem is, it seems that by the time a developer has finished creating awesome Gen X features, Gen Y has been released, and that developer feels compelled to upgrade everything. I'm not gonna name names, but I've seen it happen a lot.

By all means, enjoy playing around with the Starter Kit and try to get as much developed as you can, but you need to understand that you probably won't finish the game. Creating a game even on the scale of FR/LG (small compared to R/S/E) will take a very, very long time.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back