• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are dedicated leads now redundant?

Sirfetch’d

Before the changes that Black and White brought to competitive play, people often used a dedicated lead when battling. Now people seem to no longer find a dedicated lead useful. Do you agree with this or can you still make use of a dedicated lead? If you still use one, what is it?

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • Since I didn't play pokemon before black and white, I don't know if I'll be able to discuss deeply with this topic.

One thing that I do know is that I started out using a dedicated lead, but then started switching up my beginning strategy. I used to always send out Cradily first for NU, Ferrothorn for Monotypes, and Metagross for OU. Now, I start with whatever pokemon that I feel would put me at the best advantage against my opponent. Having a dedicated lead is not such a great idea in such a fast paced meta game that black and white holds. Just about everyone knows which pokemon you're likely to send out first and just as easily counter it before you get a chance to set up hazards or whatever your lead does. I think the hazards set up session has evolved from something you do in the beginning of the battle, to something you do more towards the middle where initial struggle for power is over, if that makes sense.

Zylas

Dat Trains Kid
    Years
  • Tyranitar. I LOVE this guy.

When I use Tyranitar, I send him out knowing I will most likely let him die on the battlefield. But this does not mean he won't take out a few pokes of his own. With Fire Blast and Ice Beam, it eliminates most leads and can be considered an anti-lead. Plus w/ Stealth Rock and a STAB/Earth Power, this guy wrecks anyone's starting game. Especially against pesky setups such as Forretress and Ferrothorn.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • I actually wonder what happened to dedicated leads. Granted, it was a couple of years back, but when I used to play competitive if your team didn't have one then something was probably wrong. As someone who's only recently started watching matches again now, it just seems so unstructured to me to be starting the battle without a proper lead. How come people don't use them any more? Is it because you can see the opponent's whole team and so try to guess what they're likely to use first or something like that (and for that matter, I always find it weird that you're shown the opponent's team before the battle)?

Snorelacks

Ready to get burned?
    Years
  • In Gen IV I always used Aerodactyl, Ambipom, Togekiss, or Jirachi. Now I find that you can bluff something like Togekiss or Mienshao by putting it first on team preview and then send in a counter to the opponent's counter. Team preview adds a whole new element of strategy and prediction to the game, but I miss the days of Gen IV.

Sirfetch’d

I actually wonder what happened to dedicated leads. Granted, it was a couple of years back, but when I used to play competitive if your team didn't have one then something was probably wrong. As someone who's only recently started watching matches again now, it just seems so unstructured to me to be starting the battle without a proper lead. How come people don't use them any more? Is it because you can see the opponent's whole team and so try to guess what they're likely to use first or something like that (and for that matter, I always find it weird that you're shown the opponent's team before the battle)?

As someone who didn't really play competitive before this gen, I have wondered this myself. I have tried using dedicated leads because I know they were popular back in the previous generations, but when I choose a lead I see people telling me that dedicated leads are no longer of use as they used to be. I assume this is because of team preview that allows you to semi-scout the opponents strategy before hand. However, I don't feel they are completely redundant as I have been able to make teams with a dedicated lead and have success, but I do feel as if the leads are becoming harder and harder to use.

Zebz213

Travelling Insomniac
    Years
  • I think that dedicated leads are less common but I still think people can make good use of them.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
  • At least speaking from a bit of experience coming back into BW2, dedicated leads definitely have their uses on HO teams, and while team preview still makes it a bit of a joke people do after all still prepare to lead with one of their pokemon - team preview just makes it easier to conceal which one it is going to be.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    At least speaking from a bit of experience coming back into BW2, dedicated leads definitely have their uses on HO teams, and while team preview still makes it a bit of a joke people do after all still prepare to lead with one of their pokemon - team preview just makes it easier to conceal which one it is going to be.

This basically.

Just gonna say though, the reason they have lost use is because your opponent can counter lead you now.

I.e "Oh cute they have a lead Aero, ill just lead with Prankster Sabelye"

You are in a MUCH better position if you forget leads and counter lead them from turn one and the momentum is in your favor. Basically 9 times out of 10 dedicated leads are now redundant and useless. Why waste a slot on something for the first few turn of battle when your opponent can just counter lead you anyway ? You should be doing the same. Plus if you do this outside of HO your team isnt very good because you NEED all 6 slots to beat stuff in BW, there simply is not enough room imo to dedicate slots to something so trivial.

Team preview is a good thing however imo, one thing i hated about gen 4 was the stupid lead metagame which was a separate metagame entirely and it lead (lolpun) to such retarded crap as the following; Lead Roserade and Smeargle, Lead Aero to beat all of the aforementioned and to also beat Lead Azelf. Lead Tyranitar to beat lead Azelfs and sleeper leads. Lum Berry Metagross to beat all of the aforementioned. Lead Empoleon to beat Metagross. Lead Heatran to beat Metagross. Anti Lead Machamp, Colbur Berry Azelf to anti-anti lead Machamp and Tar, Anti lead Dragonite, Anti lead Starmie. Lead Swampert, Lead Blissey, lead cacturne, Lead Spiritomb, Lead Plusle LEAD LEAD LEAD.

Stupidity. Glad that crap died seriously.

Last edited:

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • I remember when team preview became a thing in Black/White, I thought it was just some random thing. I don't know whether or not Gamefreak intended this*, but it put an end to - like Dark Azelf aptly put - stupid scenarios. I started playing competitive in Gen IV, and one of the few things I enjoy more about Gen V battling is the team preview.

I still tend to lead with certain pokemon more frequently than others, but it's fun to mix it up, and try to predict who the opponent will lead with.

*I think Gamefreak threw in team preview for tournaments, and for stuff like Zoroark, Ditto, and Magic Bounce. I think ending dedicated leads was a nice bonus.

Back