• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are Gen IV and V hated around here?

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2014
    DPPt and BW/B2W2 seems to be widely hated by most on forums like Bulbagarden and Serebii, so i was wondering does people here feel the same?

I personally find both of them to be great but that seems to be an unpopular opinion within the Pokemon fanbase.

Years
  • Let me throw my two cents on the matter here.

First off, Diamond and Pearl. What people DO like the Sinnoh games for is the fact that they introduced Wi-Fi battling, and some of the 3D aspects that the series was introduced with. And of course the physical/special slit - but that's about where the significances end. The games were ridden with lag, even with battle animations off, and not very good variety, and I just think some people didn't really like the Sinnoh region as a whole, at least when it was first introduced.

Platinum, however, was a major improvement. It did fix many of the problems with DP and made the game way more interesting. More variety, no more sluggish lag, more fun Gym Leaders and Elite Four, a deeper plot. And of course, the Battle Frontier, which is by far the biggest thing that keeps people from saying Platinum is just the same thing as DP other than the big event, for the most part. But I suppose that people still weren't big for Sinnoh as a whole then, maybe it was just what the region had to offer not being as much as others. But I like it for what it is, I can safely say that.

Then we get to Black and White. I'm always thinking people love these games for two major reasons: one, the story, which involves you chasing Team Plasma throughout mostly the entire game, and two, only being able to use new Pokémon. The thing with the latter is that they tried to make BW feel like "starting from a new beginning". But what I think people seem to dislike them for is the linearity of the Unova region, the abundance of characters that tend to get in the way, hating new Pokémon (like the starters), apparently hand-holding (which I never really found to be that much of an issue), and claims that they're the easiest games in the series (and i'm gonna get to that in a bit). And then there are people who DON'T like only being able to use new Pokémon. The thing with only being able to use new Pokémon is, when you start a new region, isn't that exactly what you want - to experience new Pokémon? Sure, people like variety, but I guess the only new stuff thing is something that's dividing. I didn't like it much at first, but it has grew on me (although i'll still take BW2 and XY's variety over it any day). As for complaints that they're the easiest? Horse s***. Admittedly some of the Gym Leaders aren't that hard, but look at foes like Lenora, Elesa, Clay to an extent, the abundance of rival battles the game throws at you, the Elite Four to an extent, and N and Ghetsis, god help me, and tell me this game is cake, given the small dex that limits your options. Seriously. Even the trainers (at least the higher classes like Ace Trainers and Veterans) I rarely found that easy, either. I guess I might be a bit biased here, and this is coming from someone who did a Nuzlocke on Black with only one death up until the Elite Four, and then lost half my team against them. If there's anything that makes them easy, it's the fact that there are so many powerful Pokémon, like Darmanitan, Haxorus, Krookodile, Chandelure, Excadrill and such, that are really tough, although Audino and the Lucky Egg make training easier. But on the bad side, there's also the lack of post-game activity, this I will admit. While not THE worst post-game in the series (not as bad as Gen I or RS), it doesn't keep you too entertained for a while.

And last, but in my case definitely not least, Black 2 and White 2. They are no question my favorite pre-XY games (even now I keep going back and forth between them), and there is a LOT to like about them, but sadly, I feel they get even worse hate than their predecessors. Why? For not being what they were. Okay, so that's basically saying people wanted it to be the same deal - chasing the team throughout the story, only using new Pokémon and fighting Ghetsis to beat the game instead of the Champion yet again? Is that what the people who hated BW2 wanted? Don't you think you WOULDN'T want the same experience? And that's what separates BW2 from Emerald and Platinum to me - the fact that they actually add stuff to the adventure, like new areas, new Gym Leaders, and actually a different story instead of rehashing most of it. And the post-game has lots to do as well, including the entire southern part of Unova, battling lots of powerful trainers, and cool stuff like the PWT, collecting medals, and Black Tower/White Treehollow. In short, I will never, EVER dislike them. And yet, it disappoints me that people don't realize just how much content they have to offer and some even say that they're the only games that do nothing for the series. Although personally, and I said this in that thread I made in the 5th gen forum, but I feel that there are several people here who weren't big for BW but REALLY like BW2.

And that's just what I feel I have to share for myself on these four games.

Last edited:

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Like any generation, there are lovers and haters.

I personally find DPP to be a bit of a low point for the series, but BW to be a new high point for the series.

Opinions, people have them sometimes.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • For me personally, the 4th Gen is the worst out of them all. As mentioned before, the games suffer very bad from lagging, and although i love most of the evos they introduced for old pokemon, i felt like there were very few new ones, and out of the new ones only a few that i liked. 5th Gen isnt bad at all, although imo B2/W2 is a LOT better than the original BW...

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    DP were the first game released towards DS systems from Gamefreak, as it started out. The graphic were improved and neat, but isn't too shabby until Pt came and animate pokemon's sprite as well certain trainer classes just a little, but not much animating; Pt have much more to offer than DP were.

And BW came and it's sharper than ever, interesting plot and stories and Elite four which is waywardy (Fighting, Dark, Ghost, Psychic) which was unusual for an elite four. BW2 came and it was Pre-Y/X and why it's pre. The story is yet more interesting, more battle facilities and the graphical 3D and pokemon sprites animate to the fullest as well all the trainers. But even though it's just filter just to test graphic.

I found Gen 4 isn't much to my liking until Gen 5 arrives and makes my fun double.

Years
  • I wouldn't say I 'hate' any of the gens, but Gen V was a massive disappointment to me in many respects.

I'll start with Gen IV though. It was very enjoyable, it kept to the standard of pokémon main series games in my opinion and it introduced a lot of new features. Wi-fi, chaining (pokéradar), swarms etc. which all extended the playing time of the game. In addition, it also obviously had a nice improvement in graphics due to the upgrade from GBA to DS. Platinum managed to add on to a lot of this elements and make the game even greater, especially with the story enhancement via the distortion world portion of the game.

Gen V though was a bit less enjoyable. It was still worth a play through due to the story of B/W, but then even the good story wasn't present for B/W2 so that particular game was relatively poor in my opinion. My main gripe with these games is that it introduced so many terrible pokémon which some at the time thought would continue forever which might have made it more acceptable, but with Gen VI proved there were many good designs still yet to be done. The fact the first game then forced us to use them was then pretty bad, I think Victini was the only pokémon I even liked in my party during my playthrough. Some of the important pokémon (starters, legendaries) were also pretty bad, the first form of each starter was alright, but they looked horrible after that. Another major problem is that it didn't really introduce a great new feature as all previous gens had done so once I'd finished the game, I didn't even get to enjoy the pokémon I'd collected in previous games doing something. This was addressed with the PWT in B/W2 which was alright to play for a while.

tl;dr I like Gen V, but all other gens >>>> Gen V.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
  • I don't think people hate them, just some games are different than the others. I think BW and DPPt weren't that popular as they just seemed to be different from the others. However, I don't think they are bad games at all. Every game has it's perks and every game has it's faults. It just depends on what people exploit more. The faults or the perks.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • For some reasons, I hated generation 5.
    BW and BW2 got on my nerve too much, not sure why though, because I was very excited about the game when there were releases of spoilers. Probably I didn't like the fact there wasn't a revamp of RSE in generation 5, too.
    It added on.

I totally love generation 4 though; It was the best generation I had played since generation 1. Diamond and Pearl hits off well for me, and Platinum was a total win-over-my-heart with the Distortion World opened. Please do not forget the revamped HeartGold and SoulSilver. Spiffy.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2014
    I loved Sinnoh. I had no problem with Diamond, probably because I wasnt into hardcore battles yet.
    As for Unova, it had it's issues, but was pretty good. But the remake... Jesus I hate B/W 2

Haunted Cupcake

Soul Resonance Technician
    Years
  • i'm wierd i like all gens, each gen had mon's i don't like and mons i do.I just don't get how you can hate hate a specific gen because it doesn't comply with what you want.

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
    Years
  • For what it's worth, a lot of the boards/websites I've been on tend to dislike 4/5 as opposed to other generations. The majority of /vp/ hated Diamond and Pearl, but all agree that Platinum was a big step up from D/P. If I were to replay Gen 4, I'd go straight for Plat in a heartbeat. My opinion is similar, however I loved playing Diamond after spending so much time on Emerald.
    HG and SS were very quality remakes, and did Gen 4 some justice.

For Gen 5, which I've played the least overall, there is mixed opinions. Some loved it, and some hated it. I'm more neutral on this is well. I did not like the designs of a lot of Gen V Pokemon, but I'm a big fan of the Legendaries (Kyurem!!!)

I think Gen 5 is liked a lot more overall, but I think neither are the worst games of the series.

Years
  • Yeah I heard about those two generations getting hated a lot, especially 5th Gen, but I actually loved those games probably for introducing my fave starter line ever plus I loved the scenery of Unova in general.

I actually hated 4th Gen a bit more than 5th Gen because Diamond & Pearl were laggy as hell, so if I ever had to play a Sinnoh game again I'd only play Platinum or heck even the awesome remakes we got in HeartGold & SoulSilver. I was also happy with the Pokemon designs in both 4th and 5th Gen, some even became personal faves of mine.

Funnily enough, I hated most older generation designs compared to newer ones but blame that on me starting late (first generation for me was 3rd). The flaws with 5th Gen, was that while B/W had a great story and I loved how we could only use new Pokemon prior to post-game was cool, most people complained about the post-game, and if you were someone who hated most 5th Gen Pokemon it would have been hard for you to play the story as well. However, it seems like most people who were disappointed with B/W did get sort-of remedied with B2/W2 because of its massive postgame and inclusion of older Pokemon.

I loved both 5th Gen games in my opinion, it was definitely my fave generation pre-XY. Now that I have played X/Y it feels hard for me to replay older games but I'll always love the Pokemon themselves.

But of course, as said by wise old Timbjerr we all have our opinions.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
    Years
  • I hate Diamond and Pearl, but not Platinum. Platinum fixed all the flaws the first two games had except one: The necessity of an HM Slave. Why on earth would they take away the part of the game that makes it unique? Team customization. Forcing FIVE moves onto your team just for Victory Road was always a stupid idea, and it makes it aggravating to play. I don't mind Platinum otherwise, since it added a villain, threw in Fire-types, made it so the new evolutions were obtainable in-game, sped up the game engine, and overall made for an experience that didn't feel like a chore.

HG/SS were sort of lame, given how they changed Team Rocket to have actual faces... but then didn't give those jerks any development. Also the HM issue again. And Lyra...

I like Gen V to an extent. There were a few issues with it, though. Black and White didn't feel complete - it was "Go to the next town, beat the gym leader" and although it added a very intriguing mature plot and had the best protagonist designs to date, its replay value isn't what it could be. It's shorter and there aren't contests, a Pokeathlon, or any other kind of alternative activity. Doesn't need to be any of those. Just something else to do. I DID like how they made HM slaves unnecessary given how Strength was a one-use thing, Rock Smash was gone, Dive was a one-time thing with no wild encounters, and the great-competiively Surf was still there. Eased the burden.

BW2 I haven't played enough of. I had to hack the female protagonist to be Hilda, so I don't have to deal with the eyesores that are the protagonists in that game. It started slow but I hear it gets great. I will play more eventually and I think I'll like it. I like having an easy-on-the-eyes character, rather than an ugly twerp with an ugly choice for headgear and an awful hairstyle. Yuck... I can't look at those things.

I'm not a Genwunner by any means - in fact I am unable to go back to those games. There are things I like and dislike about each generation... and each game for that matter. However, I'd say that Diamond and Pearl, but not Platinum, were the nadir of the series; the anime for DP is amazing, but the games? Not so much. Platinum thankfully is great... with that one exception.

Years
  • However, it seems like most people who were disappointed with B/W did get sort-of remedied with B2/W2 because of its massive postgame and inclusion of older Pokemon.

Yeah, like I said. On the same hand, it might just be me, but it feels like a lot of the people really on the negative side about BW2 seem to be the big fans of the original BW.

As for Unova, it had it's issues, but was pretty good. But the remake... Jesus I hate B/W 2

...Case in point. I've seen quite a few people on Serebii like that as well, but many of their reasonings behind having this very opinion are usually very vague.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Meh, all the Gens get hate. You just hear about it less for the older ones because most people have gotten it outta their system. Gen 4 and 5 are still relatively new, so not everyone's gotten all their hate out of their systems yet.

I like gens 4 and 5, and prefer Black2/White2 over Black/White. Not saying that Black/White was bad, I liked them too (particulary because I think Hilda/Hilbert are the best pre-X/Y player characters and it had the slightly better story).

Also, a lot of people have been saying that Diamond/Pearl was real laggy. Was it really? I hardly touch my Pearl these days.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    I'm just going to say that I think Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 are the best Pokémon games ever.

And yes, I've played and beaten X/Y.

There's just so many things you can do in B2/W2 postgame that it feels like the ultimate sandbox Pokémon game after you beat the Elite Four. It really grinds my ears when people judge B2/W2 on the story alone, because really, the story portion of the game is like, 2% of the amount of time you could spend on this thing; the story is such a tiny part of the game.

Things you can do postgame in X/Y:
    *Battle Maison
    *The Looker Bureau
    *Catch Zygarde, Mewtwo, and a legendary bird

Things you can do postgame in B2/W2:
    *PWT
    *Battle Subway
    *White Tree Hollow/Black Tower
    *Rematch the Elite Four and their new, higher leveled teams
    *Explore Icirrus City and surounding areas
    *Explore southeastern Unova
    *Complete every movie & unlock every strange ending in PokéStar Studios
    *Hunt Legendaries
    *Battle Cynthia
    *Battle Alder
    *Battle Colress
    *Battle Cilan, Chili, and Cress
    *Battle N
    *Battle the Shadow Triad
    *Battle Bianca with the team she used when you played B/W
    *Battle Cheren with the team he used when you played B/W
    *finish the Dropped Item sidequest
    *hunt down Hidden Ability Pokémon in the Hidden Grottoes
    *The Medal Rally!!!

And the Medal Rally itself can give you a whole new list of things to do. X/Y's Global Link Medal Rally doesn't feel authentic at all because you can't get these achievements as they happen in-game, and you can't get in-game hints for the medals and such.

I could go on and on about why I'm still playing White 2 long after I've played and beaten X, but I think I've already said enough. B2/W2 just has more to do, and the things you can do are endless.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    4th gen is not really liked too much here. I felt that it was a great generation but the slow framerate didn't help much. Sinnoh was a interesting region though and the story wasn't too bad, but I did feel that the new pokémon introduced were pretty forgettable. HG/SS are great remakes though.

5th gen is liked a lot here. I hated it though. I felt B/W were exactly how not to make a pokémon game - there was too much of a focus on the story, the game was far too linear, and forcing the awful new pokémon on you was a terrible idea. B2/W2 were more bland than bad, but they did have a pretty decent postgame and less of a focus on the story.

Years
  • Chaos Rush, that is a long list there :P The thing with XY is, there is also Wonder Trade, Friend Safari and collecting Mega Stones, and the fact that IV breeding is easier than ever (as is passing hidden abilities). Which is especially important for people who want to battle competitively.

But again, I will say that BW2 are pretty fudging close for me. There is plenty to do with them, but all things considered I can definitely understand why people don't like certain aspects (such as the PWT, I know some disliked searching for legendaries too). The Medal Rally is a nice thing to motivate you to do things you probably wouldn't otherwise, and as i've said several times, I actually do like Pokéstar Studios quite a bit myself.

As I said a couple posts back, personally I feel that a lot of the people most insulted by BW2 are the big fans of BW and its story/exclusively new Pokémon availability. Either that or they think it (BW2) introduces absolutely nothing to the series and is just more of the same old same old than ever. But I think the exact opposite, that it rivals HGSS in terms of stuff to offer, and that's why it actually keeps me hooked. There is just a LOT to like about them, and it just really disappoints me that very few people see the game for what it really is.

Oh, and how about the fact that it has the first occasion of any villainous character actually trying to physically harm/kill your character? I give it big props for that. True, that happens in XY (well, Y more technically), but it's still intense as chiz.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    , I actually do like Pokéstar Studios quite a bit myself.
    I like Pokestar Studios a lot too. =) It's too bad it wasn't in X/Y...and probably has a low chance of reappearing in future games.

Oh, and how about the fact that it has the first occasion of any villainous character actually trying to physically harm/kill your character? I give it big props for that.

That happens? It hasn't been THAT long since I've played Black2, but my memory sometimes sucks. Could you refresh my memory?

Back