• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you a boy? Or a girl?

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I don't assume and I don't try to find anything out... that's all, I guess.

This is what its like for me. Unless I already know what gender you're on, or stumble on it by seeing a picture you post, or a post where you mention you're a guy or a girl, I usually don't assume or attempt to find out. I don't have anything but usernames shown in a post bit. I hide avatars and signatures too, so I don't get any impressions on someone's gender based on themes either.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    This is the first time the "telling someone's gender by their writing style" has been explaining in any way for me. I've had people say it to me, in that people thought I was male/female based on the way I was writing. That sounds so strange to me. I always figured that I wrote the way that I write, and that there was no gender identification behind it.

As for myself, I never try to guess anyone's gender. Unless I know for a sure fact what someone's gender identification is, I always try to stay neutral with pronoun usage. I don't want to create an awkward situation by misidentifying someone.

REALFireEagle

Pokemon Master
    Years
    I first usually see if they have their gender listed on the side with their avatar, but if they don't I look at the name. If the name doesn't tell me anything I'd look in the signature to find clues.

Years
    I tend to think of people in terms of they/them/their unless I have a reason to think otherwise, mostly if they have their gender set to a specific gender. I don't think about people's gender much because gender has never really meant much to me.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    Behavior for me. Sometimes writing style and at few times, usernames.

and i still can't get over how shawn's not a girl when he was miss doronjo a couple years back

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    On PC I generally assume male unless told otherwise. Even girly avatars don't change my mind all that much because gender-bending used to be so "trendy" here that I almost used to assume girly avatars/sigs were guys and vice versa. And honestly, even though I say I assume everyone's a guy, I use the term very... loosely. Gender really means almost nothing to me so even if I sort of think of someone as a boy, unless I actually get to know the person, I don't really think of them as a person at all anyway. THAT SOUNDS AWFUL WHEN I PUT IT LIKE THAT but I just mean I don't tend to differentiate people very much until I have reason to and I take an interest in them. Until then they're just kind of a non-descript person. I don't even think about gender unless it comes up in their post.

On other sites like Tumblr, I assume female until proven male. :P

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I don't particularly care unless I actually know you somewhat. This is a message board, just glorified YouTube comments really :p I barely look at the usernames most of the time unless I recognize them subconsciously. I guess I'll just go by whatever they set their gender icon as, should I glance over there. I'm not going to act differently with one gender over the other, we're all just people.

Manitee

bury me alive
    Years
    I normally assume by the avatar, signature or name. If it's not very obvious then I'll just look to the right because it tells me the gender for some people.

Poki

Banned
    Years
    I've mistaken so many of my (online) male friends for females that it's not even funny anymore. :|

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Same as Cherrim I kinda assume everyone is male until specified they aren't. I find the more girly and outrageously feminine the avy/sig combo is the most likely they are male anyway. Also for a while there were tons of members gender bending so I've stopped trying to figure it out

Bobbylicious

Banned
    Years
    I never really go here enough to quote members replies, but on other places I go to, I usually refer to people as "they" (unless I'm 100% sure on their gender/sex/preferred pronouns), it's easier than accidentally calling someone a he/she and having them say "I'm a girl/boy" or "pls use correct pronouns"

Years
    Oftentimes it depends on avatar/signature, if I see some anime girl on either one of them i'm bound to assume the person with such is female unless they're stated to be male. But as a few others have states I tend to just assume most are males, unless their username suggests me otherwise.

VeranithasVI

I eat shades of #radred.
    Years
    I look at the info under a users avatar to determine gender; if they don't have it listed, I generally don't use any gender-specific words when addressing them until I find out from them if their male or female.

If I absolutely can't find out, then I'll just call them by their username instead of 'he', 'she', etc.

Back