• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you an organised hacker?

Years
    Do you keep lots of backups, do you have specific folders for specific things, or do you just throw everything into one folder?

As for myself, I am borderline organised. I've got a Backup, Screenshots, Scripts, Sprites and Toolbox folder, all in a folder with the same name as my hack name, where I keep the actual ROMs, and Patches. The reason why it's borderline is because I normally end up just saving stuff in whatever folder I want. Heh, it's a real mess atm, actually.

So, what about you?

Xela

Do you believe in yourself?
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2024
    Pretty much. I have folders for tools, unused ROMs, hacked ROMs, type of tools and such. I always create backup of everything except the tools. So I would call myself a little bit organized. :P

Giga Universe

Working on a tool.
    Years
    I generally am - I keep each of my tools in a separate folder, and I make regular backups, etc. Sometimes it gets a bit too much for me and I just save everything in one folder though XD. I was trying to make a tool to make organisation easier at one time, because being organised was too much effort XD.

Years
    I like to think I'm relatively organised- I pretty much do the same thing you do.
    Right at the beginning, I make a folder and name it the Hack's name, then Copy/Paste a ROM into it. Then, as I go along, more and more folders appear in that folder, and then appropriate sub-folders in those ones- for example, the Graphics folder has sub-folders like Tilesets (from A-Map) and Sprites (the latter haveing several sub-folders). It's good to be organised, really. I also ALWAYS back up my files. I make a .zip folder and put the ROM in there. Every time I do maps or anthing to the hack, before switching off the PC I backup the ROM, and I also back it up on a USB Memory Stick in the event of a format (wich has happened before). Organisation and preparation is very important, really.

rosebunny

Beta/Grammar Tester - Dr.Rose
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2013
    I actually am a very organised hacker. But what I find myself doing is clogging up my desktop with various other things and it just keeps growing and growing like weads.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Pretty much, I suppose.
    Whenever I start a new hack, I make a new folder and have different folders for everything including screenshots, backups and so on. But the folders are really unorganized and there are even things that I probably don't need. I clean up the folders once in a while, so that I don't mix up things; And it's hard working that way.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
    In addition to what everyone said so far, I keep track of all my flags/variables/palettes used, do a plot outline-walkthrough-like, filler scripts for the beta, a to-do list, reminders, all on .txt files. Oh, and a casual test rom included, all in a separate folder.

Years
    Funny, I expected most of PC to be messy, and it was just me with my OCD. Haha.

Oh, I also keep track of all of my flags and variables used, in XSE's note thing. I also have the directions for "spriteface". I always forget. XD

Edit:
    @Manipulation: ...oh.

Last edited:

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
    You realise for spriteface you could do 'spriteface FACE_DIRECTION', right? If you didn't, you do now.

Anyway, I'm pretty messy. Everything's all over the place. :)

Last edited:

Haz

Haz ya seen my hack?
    Years
    I'm realitivly organised. I have all of the rombases and hacks I have downloaded in a folder, which is then subfoldered into Ruby/ Spahire, FR/LG, Emereld and Rombasrs. My own hak is in yet ANOTHER folder and I have all my backups in there with it. My tools all have seperate folders which is all in another folder on my Downloads

Alignment

Revered with the stars
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    I'm messy as hell. I forgot where I put my ROM once, and ended up having to use the back up I emailed myself a few weeks ago, yeah pretty big setback. I usually just put stuff places and search the entire C drive when I need them :D

I don't know which flags I use, I just use random ones at random times, once I used 800 and realized it was the safari flag, that ended up messing the script at the end cause of it :P

I have only about 5-6 tools so it's not that hard to keep track of. List :

Spoiler:

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    Uh-huh ^_^
    Alrighty... on Desktop is my hack, Pokemon Destiny folder. Inside is the ROM, and a folder for screenshots for showcasing the hack (later on :>).
    Back to Desktop.
    Below the hack folder is Pokemon Tools, where all the tools I use are in there.
    Below the tools folder is a back-up ROM of Destiny. I update it once I do major stuff, like tile-inserting, scripting, ect.

Guess that's it... =P

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
    Pretty organized, here. This is the breakdown of my folders:

Documents->Hacking->IPS; Maps; ROMs; Tools; VBA
    ROMs->Project Z; Mahogany; Unnamed; Fire Red; Ruby; Hacks
    Project Z->Palettes; Tilesets; Story Elements; Screens; and the ROM/backups
    Mahogany->Old Scripts; Stuff(containing many different text files); Screens; Palettes; Graphics(containing many graphics such as hp boxes ect.); Sprites; Tilesets; and the ROM/backups
    Fire Red->Clean Fire Red ROM
    Ruby->Same as Fire Red
    Hacks->Bugs; and all the hacks I download

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    I'm relatively organised.

Sort of.

I keep all the bigger tools in their own folders (with my ROM in A-Map's, for ease of use) to make reaching them easier, but my main "Hacking Stuff" folder is a pile of junk. :D

...then again, I don't keep backups... :|

Last edited:

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    I keep backups of course, and I have a folder for hacking tools, and a folder for everything else. lol

Crimson Stardust

Anime Addiction
    Years
    I organise my hacking things preety neatly.Like a folder for all the hacking tools.

Then a folder for my hack,seperated to rom,backup rom,extreme backup[refer to before the backup],
    imortant sprites[which are seperated to hero sprites,prof,evil team..etc],there are sprites[for normal people]

storyline[all my ideas and story goes here],
    then i have tiles[tiles i want to insert and the ones i made are seperate]
    Screenshots,World Map,Maps..thats basically covers them..lol

Flandre Scarlet

Free your mind.
    Years
    I am organized, I have folders for sprites, scripts, etc, but sometimes I get lazy and put them in the main folder and they sometimes get lost. :(

Orinjmate

The Orinj of the Mate
    Years
    I'm very organised I have each thing in it's own folder with updated backups for everything including palettes, sprites and map files. And I have it all backed up on an external device too :)

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
    I started hacking un-organized and I realized rom hacking is a lot more easier if you are organized. So I have slowly became more, and more organized.

Back