• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Armor evolution = Armor digivolution?

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    I just can't imagine what "Armored Evolution" could bring to the table that Mega Evolution doesn't already. With how drastic some of the design changes can be when undergoing Mega Evolution, why couldn't they just make new Megas and give their designs some armor-esque touches? Aggron and Slowbro and even Houndoom are already encroaching on this territory as far as I'm concerned. I also don't like this recent trend of making features "for the time being" rather than thinking of the longevity of the franchise as a whole. Instead of making Megas in one gen and then dropping them for Z-Moves, then dropping Z-Moves for something else completely unnecessary, they should just work on fleshing out what they already have.

Omg this is SO true. Thanks for psoting this I feel the same way.
    They just ditch every new idea they do.. instead of making itb etter

Years
  • God I hope this isn't true. Mega Evolution seemed enough like a ripoff to me. Z-Moves were a cool regional variant for Alola.

I hope we just go back to regular Mega Evolution and "Armored Mewtwo" just has to do with the movie.

Pokedigifan1178

Most powerful being in fiction
    Years
  • God I hope this isn't true. Mega Evolution seemed enough like a ripoff to me. Z-Moves were a cool regional variant for Alola.

I hope we just go back to regular Mega Evolution and "Armored Mewtwo" just has to do with the movie.

Yeah because I'm pretty sure gamefreak would be under fire if they keep on ripping off from digimon.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I dunno man, armored Mewtwo was around well before Digimon did armored versions. I don't think they're really ripping anyone off. Being 'armored' is kind of one of those conventions in RPGs (granted it's usually the player character but still) that exist perpetually. And even if they were inspired by Digimon, is there really anything wrong with that?

As for the rumors themselves, meh. I could take it or leave it. Interested to see what they do with Steel types since they are literally already armor, lol.

Years
  • I mean, Digimon is itself heavily inspired by Pokemon and it's been so long since digimon did Armour Evolution... which really wasn't that different mechanically to its normal kind compared to Pokemon where it'd likely be very mechanically different to the normal types of evolution.

I think calling armour evolution a rip-off would be a bit of a stretch. Personally, I'm undecided on whether I'm interested in the idea or not but I'm leaning towards no at this stage. We'll see.

Pokedigifan1178

Years
  • I mean, Digimon is itself heavily inspired by Pokemon and it's been so long since digimon did Armour Evolution... which really wasn't that different mechanically to its normal kind compared to Pokemon where it'd likely be very mechanically different to the normal types of evolution.

I think calling armour evolution a rip-off would be a bit of a stretch. Personally, I'm undecided on whether I'm interested in the idea or not but I'm leaning towards no at this stage. We'll see.

digimon isnt really heavily inspired by pokemon.

it was more heavily inspired by tomagotchi.

digimon is short for digital monsters.

only reason pokemon is called that way was because some other company decided to sue nintendo for the pocket monsters name. so they shortened it to pokemon to prevent copy right.

Years
  • digimon isnt really heavily inspired by pokemon.

it was more heavily inspired by tomagotchi.

digimon is short for digital monsters.

only reason pokemon is called that way was because some other company decided to sue nintendo for the pocket monsters name. so they shortened it to pokemon to prevent copy right.

I know what it's short for, and I agree that was definitely an influence. There's a lot of striking similarities though given that it came out three years later.

Pokedigifan1178

Years
  • I know what it's short for, and I agree that was definitely an influence. There's a lot of striking similarities though given that it came out three years later.

not really. charmander is a salamander. while agumon is a dinosaur.

i really dont see any digimon that look like pokemon and vice versa.

but its all thanks to the pokemon fans, some of them, that keep on saying its similiar by saying its a ripoff which its not.

Years
  • not really. charmander is a salamander. while agumon is a dinosaur.

i really dont see any digimon that look like pokemon and vice versa.

but its all thanks to the pokemon fans, some of them, that keep on saying its similiar by saying its a ripoff which its not.

Similarities don't have to be based on looks. I don't know if you've ever played any of the games, but the one I played was basically "if Pokemon was worse."

That being, said, I think we're going off on a bit of a tangent here. Bottom line is, I really don't think there's any real ripping off going on here.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024

Actually no. It's true Nintendo was sued by the creators of "Monsters in my Pocket", but a judge ruled that there was no infringement and the case was later dismissed. They were not forced to shorten the name at all.

Pokedigifan1178

Years
  • Actually no. It's true Nintendo was sued by the creators of "Monsters in my Pocket", but a judge ruled that there was no infringement and the case was later dismissed. They were not forced to shorten the name at all.

still they changed it to pokemon later.

i feel like the new digimon survive will be way better than sword and shield.

its just digimon games have better plot and storyline thats all.

i'm just skeptical of armor evolution because even though i hear some people say its based off of mewtwo, it does sound a lot like armor digivolution.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    still they changed it to pokemon later.

.... I would really like to see your sources on that. :/

But I digress. I don't want to stray off topic here. Being "armored" is nothing new to any fantasy RPG and you can date the concept back to well before Pokemon or Digimon ever became a thing. But I don't think either of them ripped off one another. Both Pokemon and Digimon presented the idea of "armored" monsters in a very unique way - and neither of them copy aspects of the other. Digimon has evolutions based around the use of armor, while Pokemon treats armor (so far) like clothing, or turns it into a Steel type. Not very similar, imo!

i'm just skeptical of armor evolution because even though i hear some people say its based off of mewtwo, it does sound a lot like armor digivolution.

I recommend watching Pokemon: the First Movie! Not only is it a good film, but it explains that the "armored Mewtwo" is not an evolution (like it is with Digimon), but just a normal Mewtwo wearing a costume. More importantly though, armored Pokemon have yet to be confirmed, so there's definitely no ripping off to be found. :)

Pokedigifan1178

Years
  • .... I would really like to see your sources on that. :/

But I digress. I don't want to stray off topic here. Being "armored" is nothing new to any fantasy RPG and you can date the concept back to well before Pokemon or Digimon ever became a thing. But I don't think either of them ripped off one another. Both Pokemon and Digimon presented the idea of "armored" monsters in a very unique way - and neither of them copy aspects of the other. Digimon has evolutions based around the use of armor, while Pokemon treats armor (so far) like clothing, or turns it into a Steel type. Not very similar, imo!

I recommend watching Pokemon: the First Movie! Not only is it a good film, but it explains that the "armored Mewtwo" is not an evolution (like it is with Digimon), but just a normal Mewtwo wearing a costume. More importantly though, armored Pokemon have yet to be confirmed, so there's definitely no ripping off to be found. :)

Okay fine I agree on that because I don't want to argue with you anymore.

Though I want to show you what sylveon looks like as a Digimon.

Armor evolution = Armor digivolution?

Sylvimon and eeveemon

Anyway I'll just wait till sword and shield gets released and see what armor evolution looks like.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    This point about Mewtwo makes things really interesting. I'm hoping this stays exclusive to Mewtwo in the movie, but I would be perfectly fine if they tried to do a Spiky-eared Pichu/Ash-Greninja-style promo Pokémon event with Armored Mewtwo for Sword/Shield but nothing more. But in regards to an entire mechanic, it makes less sense than ever before. It's easy to say Mewtwo is where this idea even emerged from, but in the movie Mewtwo uses armor to suppress his powers--to make him weaker. But evolution is all about getting stronger! Who's gonna Armor Evolve their Pokémon to make them weaker? This definitely does nothing to shake my stance of omitting unnecessary new battle mechanics and instead focusing on polishing old ones.

Cid

Years
  • I think Pokémon takes inspiration from a lot of things, not just Digimon. The Z-Moves were similar to Yokai Watch's flashy special moves per yokai. If armored evolution is a thing, it could be a reference to Digimon, to something else, or even to the Pokémon franchise itself. They already armored Pokémon in the first movie (Mewtwo) and even in the Lucario movie (the war in that movie had tons of Pokémon wearing armor), after all.

If the rumor is possibly already debunked, I'm alright with that, too. Whatever they add to the games, I'll try to be open-minded about.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Interesting, I'm sure more fangames than Phoenix Rising have explored an armor evo concept before also.

I think it could be quite interesting, if done in a clever way with items. Perhaps once the pokemon holds the special item, it is permanently armored until it separates from the item? That way, unevolved pokemon could also be armored without necessarily evolving (which would make the anime more entertaining!) and each pokemon could have different kind of armors depending on what should be boosted (sp def or def, special resistances etc). idk

It doesn't bother me at all that Digimon (and likely plenty other stories through the ages) have done similar things :)

Pokedigifan1178

Years
  • I think Pokémon takes inspiration from a lot of things, not just Digimon. The Z-Moves were similar to Yokai Watch's flashy special moves per yokai. If armored evolution is a thing, it could be a reference to Digimon, to something else, or even to the Pokémon franchise itself. They already armored Pokémon in the first movie (Mewtwo) and even in the Lucario movie (the war in that movie had tons of Pokémon wearing armor), after all.

If the rumor is possibly already debunked, I'm alright with that, too. Whatever they add to the games, I'll try to be open-minded about.

Reference to digimon. I don't think Nintendo would want to make a reference to a franchise they consider to be a ripoff

Back