• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: Ash might win the Kalos League next episode

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I wonder how Japanese fans reacted with the loss...

Also, there's still the conference at the Alola League where I hope that Ash will reach the finals again...

Ah, yeah, you DO realize there most likely isn't going to be Gym Leaders OR a League in Alola, right? If you want Ash to go for the finals again, I suggest you wait until Generation VIII.

thedarkdragon11

New World Pirate
    Years
  • Ah, yeah, you DO realize there most likely isn't going to be Gym Leaders OR a League in Alola, right? If you want Ash to go for the finals again, I suggest you wait until Generation VIII.

I'm aware of that... But the writers can just change the qualifications of entering the Alola League (or name it) conference (they might not remove that anime-exclusive conference)... Say for instance, instead of collecting at least 8 gym badges, one needs to defeat the trial captains or whoever is the main boss (who are not the E4/champion equivalent) of each islands...

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I'm aware of that... But the writers can just change the qualifications of entering the Alola League (or name it) conference (they might not remove that anime-exclusive conference)... Say for instance, instead of collecting at least 8 gym badges, one needs to defeat the trial captains or whoever is the main boss (who are not the E4/champion equivalent) of each islands...

That's going to be unlikely at this point. Don't forget, as soon as the games removed the Pokémon Contests feature from the games, the Anime dropped them as well (and before ANYONE claims they kept contests in Kanto during the Battle Frontier, bear in mind they incorporated elements from Pokémon Emerald as well). I don't expect them to do anything different here.

thedarkdragon11

New World Pirate
    Years
  • That's going to be unlikely at this point. Don't forget, as soon as the games removed the Pokémon Contests feature from the games, the Anime dropped them as well (and before ANYONE claims they kept contests in Kanto during the Battle Frontier, bear in mind they incorporated elements from Pokémon Emerald as well). I don't expect them to do anything different here.

Pokémon League Conference is an anime-exclusive competition... The game's Pokémon League (where you will battle the Elite 4 and the Champion) is called the Champion League in the anime... So even if that's the case (no gym, no league), they might inherit a version of the conference for the Alola League (or whatever the equivalent will be called) where Ash has the opportunity to win...

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Pokémon League Conference is an anime-exclusive competition... The game's Pokémon League (where you will battle the Elite 4 and the Champion) is called the Champion League in the anime... So even if that's the case (no gym, no league), they might inherit a version of the conference for the Alola League (or whatever the equivalent will be called) where Ash has the opportunity to win...

They probably won't even do a Pokémon League at all. Don't forget, technically the Orange Islands didn't do a league of the manner that they used in the main-line regions in the anime (no tournament. Just beat the Gym Leaders and then fight the Champion). More likely than not, they're probably going to do away with it altogether, seeing no reason to create a league for Ash to compete in when there aren't any gyms or even an Elite 4 to deal with.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Anyone can dislike a video so I'm sure a chunk of those dislikes came from non-Japanese fans as well.
    I wonder how Japanese fans reacted with the loss...

Ash might win the Kalos League next episode

Even the animation team (even though I only got one example so far) thought Ash should've won, and as far as I read the Japanese and Chinese fans are really angry about it, considering how the anime has actually built up to the point that Ash has a chance to win this. Doesn't really help that the show ratings have dropped too.

Also btw, the trailer has passed 61k dislikes.

Years
  • Ash might win the Kalos League next episode

Even the animation team (even though I only got one example so far) thought Ash should've won, and as far as I read the Japanese and Chinese fans are really angry about it, considering how the anime has actually built up to the point that Ash has a chance to win this. Doesn't really help that the show ratings have dropped too.

Not surprising the dislikes count has been so huge since it was a huge trolling from the writers, with that deceiving episode title and the fact Pokemon has been around for 20 years (next year is the anime's 20th anniversary though) so you can see why people wanted Ash to finally win a league.

XY also having the worst ratings of a regional series in Japan so far, and the rage among the fandom following this episode proves that it has been the downfall of the anime and will likely be hurting a lot of people's final reviews of XY.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Not surprising the dislikes count has been so huge since it was a huge trolling from the writers, with that deceiving episode title and the fact Pokemon has been around for 20 years (next year is the anime's 20th anniversary though) so you can see why people wanted Ash to finally win a league.

XY also having the worst ratings of a regional series in Japan so far, and the rage among the fandom following this episode proves that it has been the downfall of the anime and will likely be hurting a lot of people's final reviews of XY.

The fact that Alola's been confirmed to not have gym battles or even a league/Elite 4/Champion also doesn't help matters much either. Did DP ever have similar scathing reviews? I know DP was probably the first series to actually hint that Ash would actually win a league instead of merely challenge it.

Care to show the 61k+ dislikes in an image? That might be good sourcing material for Bulbapedia. I'd also like the reference to the animation team objecting to the results as well.

EDIT: Never mind, found the bit showing the dislikes in comparison to Color Splash, Infinite Warfare, and Mighty No. 9 Megaclass. Still would like something about the Animation team, though.

Last edited:

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023

I would say it's probably the final nail in the coffin considering that some or most people find the anime to be in downfall way before XY.

Did DP ever have similar scathing reviews? I know DP was probably the first series to actually hint that Ash would actually win a league instead of merely challenge it.

Care to show the 61k+ dislikes in an image? That might be good sourcing material for Bulbapedia. I'd also like the reference to the animation team objecting to the results as well.

EDIT: Never mind, found the bit showing the dislikes in comparison to Color Splash, Infinite Warfare, and Mighty No. 9 Megaclass. Still would like something about the Animation team, though.

I don't know about DP because I didn't follow fan reactions, but I think right now it's kind of treated like a joke and nobody really expected Ash to win it anyway.

Animation team tweet: https://twitter.com/aoshi11/status/766241482881638400 (Should've let Ash won and let children lived their dreams)

Found another too: https://twitter.com/rica_matsumoto3/status/766647382452731904 (Exact opposite and kind of like damage control: "With defeat helps me grow" )

P.S. Here's the current screenshot for like/dislike bar for reference:

Team Flare arc tomorrow I think. I think I'm gonna follow it a little bit more just to see what happens.

Years
  • Just saw Rica Matsumoto's (Ash's Japanese VA) Twitter and it's no surprise I'm seeing all the comments hating on the Kalos League. I wouldn't blame Rica, I'd blame the writing staff.

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2016
    Ash will lose the Leagues as long the games sell, not buying any Pokémon games seem like the only way to make him win.

IllusionaryNeon

Time Travelling Noibat
    Years
  • I still can't believe they would do this on the 20th anniversary of the series. You'd think they would give Ash a chance to be in the spotlight. I feel like the writers forced us to like Alan just so that we could be "okay" with him winning or something silly like that. *shrug*

Back