• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Asperger's Sydrome/Autism...

Years
  • My older brother has Autism, as well as a friend of mine. Both are quite smart, but have trouble with the simpler things in life, like talking.

Soul Eater

silver won't say he's in love~
    Years
  • I had delayed speech and motor control as a baby.
    I get offended by little things, (even on the internet) and I get stressed pretty easily, and I'm also narcissistic, so my life can be hard at times. But I'm still a pretty normal person.

That's sounds alot like me. I get like that all the time. I get pretty emotional over the smallest of things.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011

Soul Eater

silver won't say he's in love~
    Years
  • LOL :]

It's true to a degree, a lot of people wrongly use Aspergers to make themselves feel better over their own social downfalls. Which is pretty sick.

Yeah that's the sort of thing I see all the time online. People tend to make up some disability just to get attention and to gain friends. They think that having a disability is a way to gain that but its not because even having apserger's, its not your fault for being lazy and anti-social but because you have a developmental delay.

It's just like those that thinks aspies or autistics or ANYONE with disabilities is a disgrace to our society. It's sad because alot of people can't understand that we were just like them and just because we learn at a slower pace doesnt mean we are stupid and retarded. I know a bunch of people with disabilities and one of them is my very best rl friend, his name is Tyler and he is the sweetest person ever. He is always there to give you a laugh even at the worst of times.

There is also the ones with Down Syndrome and those ones are the sweetest and the most cutest ever. Not everyone is a disgrace just because they are different because we are all the same, we are human, are we not?

ハリマ☆ハリオ

播磨拳児
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2009
    I had a preliminary diagnosis for it when I was 5. Though it caused much stress in the family, further tests showed that I was "normal". My young cousin seems to have it, though.

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
  • One of my best friends has Aspergers Syndrome, and he's really cool.

Sure he can get annoying some times, asking questions about if I think he's good at something, but still, he's a really good friend to me, and I can't imagine him without Aspergers, he just wouldn't be the same =)

Her

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    This reminds me of a book I've been studying for my A-Level English. It's called "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time", and it's written from the point of view of a 15 year-old boy who has Asperger's. It's a very good book, one of my new favourites, and it gives a good insight into what living with the condition is like.
    Yeah, I'm reading that too. Basicaly it's a funny (in some places), well-written story about the main character, who has Aspergers. It's actually quite insightful, and gives a great description of Aspergers.
    --

I know a couple of people who have aspergers, one serious, one mild. The serious one has to take a lot of medication (don't ask me why, I can't remember) to help "tone it down". But, he's actually very smart. So don't judge a book by it's disease cover.

Kirakishou

*~Snowdrop Crystal~*
    Years
  • My younger brother is autistic...I tend to forget that a lot of the time, actually, even though he can't talk properly, is very loud and drives me up the wall.
    Of course, with my brother being autistic and his father being "depressed" and showing possible signs of Asperger's Syndrome has cast doubts on me...in my mother's eyes, at least. Although I can confidently say I have neither Asperger's Syndrome or Autism. I do have mild OCD when it comes to my hands, though. I HATE having things on my hands. Although a lot of people are like that, no?

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Rebellious Treecko;[url said:
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=159071&page=24093557]I[/url] had delayed speech and motor control as a baby.

Hmmm, you may have Aspergers, but more on the lower level. Classic Asperger's has a trait of early development. Just saying.

I have a highly defined and very noticeable case of Asperger's Syndrome.

I have basically Classic Asperger's, with the traits of being hyperfocused, sensitive over minute details, sudden uncontrollable and unintentional impulses, ect. I live pretty normally as I can say, the hardest thing is often times people can't understand some of my Asperger's related behavior when it starts unintentionally and beyond control.

The one thing that's actually a little worse about Asperger's over Autism is how being on the spectrum, AS people can see their own separate world. However, unlike Autism, they're not separated from the world as most will also see within the "normal" world overlapping their own. Thus if "strange" behavior is exhibited by someone with Autism, it can be "justified," but someone with Asperger's, who usually appear to be just "normal," such "strange" behavior is viewed differently.

Moving on,

I also have ADHD, mild OCD, and SEVERE Dysgraphia.

~Mooshykris

Salamence!

^^^^Caramelldansen^^^^
    Years
  • I don't have it, but my brother who is 23 has it. It's bad. He has trouble speaking to people and stuff.

negative

Life returns. Life prevails.
    Years
  • I have been diagnosed with this, but a realy weak disease...I sometimes have communicational troubles_I'm speaking normaly, but when I get shy...I get shy even if this person leaves 20min. ago...

Ashen

※ あなたを…
    Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2009
    I have Asperger's, as does my brother and my dad. They both have it worse than I do, though. Like, in terms of severity (from strongest to weakest) it goes my brother, my dad, then me. I'm a lot better now that I was when I was younger. I showed all the signs of classic Asperger's: not understanding humor, taking things literally, being hyperfocused on one subject for weeks or months at a time, not knowing how to act in social situations (getting myself into a lot of trouble because of how outgoing I am), and lack of executive function.

It still gets me sometimes, though, because my executive function still isn't up to scratch. And that's a big problem in college, considering how independent you have to be to get all your work done, especially in my major.

Other than that, though, I have GID, OCD, and... that's about it. I have a couple of physcial disabilities, but I'm not sure how related they are to the topic.

Tangerine Fox

82% Non-Toxic
    Years
  • I know someone with Asperger's Syndrome, yes. Unfortunately, he was raised by an, um, interesting, family, and is completely unbearable more than half the time. Instead of helping him, they've basically encouraged all the social negatives it brings.

The very first time I met him, he essentially told me that I was an idiot who didn't know anything about anything and that I was also an evil Satanist psychopath because I had an Eevee charm on my bag. I had known him for all of ten minutes when this happened.

Since that time, despite attempts to be nice and work with him for the theatre we both volunteer at, he has proceeded to insult, amongst other things: myself, my family, my friends, my upbringing, mine and my sister's competency, and all of our religions. (Which, for the record, are the same. So...?)

He's even caused little kids to cry; he's bragged around the crew about how he loved frightening all the kids in the show and how funny it was.

On a rare occasion, he's conversational and somewhat friendly towards me. I think now that he is older and has to work with more people who are less tolerant of him acting out, he is at least getting a little better. Thankfully, I know his family has a large part to do with it, but it doesn't make the experience any more pleasant. :/

That aside, the only time I can recall being around someone with autism was in gymnastics; one of the boys in the advanced class was an amazing gymnast, but incredibly sensitive to sound and had to wear thick headphones the entire time he was there. He was two levels above me, so we didn't speak much, though. Other than that, I have a lovely friend who I don't get to speak to often that carries some genes linked to autism (wording is fuzzy here), but that's about it.

RaikaCastillo

Spark Javelin!!!
    Years
  • Yeah, I have a mild case of Asperger's. It doesn't hinder me as much as it used to but it's still a bit of a headache when I'm trying to communicate with people I don't know all that well and I have to wonder if I'm making myself understood or whether something sounds awkward. Also there's the matter of the hyperfocus (the phenomena of being entirely engrossed in something to the point you tune the world out--that is until someone gets your attention and you are startled back into reality--fun stuff. My counselor says it has some benefits but I've mostly noticed the downside to it).

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    This reminds me of a book I've been studying for my A-Level English. It's called "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time", and it's written from the point of view of a 15 year-old boy who has Asperger's. It's a very good book, one of my new favourites, and it gives a good insight into what living with the condition is like.

You should check it out sometime. But yes, I do respect people with the syndrome, even though I didn't fully understand what it entailed before reading said book.
    I read that in my A-level English as well... I didn't finish it though, we had to give the book back before I could. It seemed good though.

I don't know anyone who has any of the disabilities you just named, but some people at my school have them really bad. They have a special class just for them because they have trouble comprehending math below the standard 8th grade level.
    That's the case in my school too. We've got special classes, but that's for people with severe cases. I work at a big camp sometimes, and we've got many kids coming there who have lighter cases and are just like any other kids, only that I have to make sure some take their medications correctly. Else they can get sad easier or have concentration problems.

Yeah, I have a mild case of Asperger's. It doesn't hinder me as much as it used to but it's still a bit of a headache when I'm trying to communicate with people I don't know all that well and I have to wonder if I'm making myself understood or whether something sounds awkward. Also there's the matter of the hyperfocus (the phenomena of being entirely engrossed in something to the point you tune the world out--that is until someone gets your attention and you are startled back into reality--fun stuff. My counselor says it has some benefits but I've mostly noticed the downside to it).
    Mmm, that's what we're told and taught when we take care of the children at the camp.

I just think people are different. Long ago, there weren't any names for these "disturbances" or what to call it. People who had them was just a little different. But all people are different, right? And should be given even chances to succeed in life~

Andrew1989

neet
    Years
  • I've had Aspergers Syndrome ever since I was 9.

My Social skills and trying to 'interact' with other people is a real pain in the backside ¬_¬.

Back