• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Attachment to Pokemon?

Mickeycricky

Mickeycricky
    Years
    I get very attached to my Pokemon. I mean, come on they worked so hard for me throughout the game, I just can't bring myself to erase them. If I absolutely feel the need to restart my game, I just trade over all of my pet ones to a different game so they are safe ^_^

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    It's okay, honey. :) I have my first file of Diamond still. Haven't restarted it, so the save file was started in 2007. XD; And I have some stuff from 2003 and 2004 on my storage Emerald, so I guess I get a little attached. I put in a lot of work when I was younger. And I also just like to have a storage game for each generation, haha.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2014
    I am actually looking at buying another game so I can start again, as opposed to actually over-writing my main one :/

Cold Fusion

When you laugh, you gain luck.
    Years
    It's more I don't get attached to the Pokemon themselves, but more to my accomplishments and what I've achieved. Filling the pokedex, even with the power of trading online can take a while and I still have yet to achieve that. And after amassing so much stuff It's just hard to abandon it. I wish Pokemon games had 2 saves

^ I have to agree with this, it's the achievement for me not the actual Pokemon though they are good and everything. All that hard work gone in a second? Nope, I'll keep, thanks! :D The only way for me to have to save files is to get the second one of the game set like, if I have Diamond, I would get Pearl and act as though it was a second save file.

Kinoko_Otoko

Mutant Jumpluff
    Years
    I'm pretty much the epitome of this. I don't get attached to every single Pokemon I catch (not since Blue and Red anyway), but if I use it for anything - breeding, false swiping, Cute Charm or Synchronizing to find a certain Pokemon, whatever - it gets a nickname. Depending on how I feel when I get around to transferring things from a game about to be wiped, the vast majority of nicknamed Pokemon get transferred. This can get ridiculous.

Most Pokemon I can leave behind as long as I haven't used them for anything, but certain ones I just like too much. Most of the starters for instance. But most of all, Eevee and any evolutions thereof. I decided to reset my Diamond version recently because I didn't like the name I'd picked for my character. I had about 5 boxes of Eevees. I nicknamed them all and traded them to my Pearl version.

However, my Pearl version is the one I routinely reset. Which means I need to transfer everything I sent to Pearl, back to Diamond. Once all my Eevees are on Diamond, they're going to Pokemon Ranch...

A bit of psychoanalysis: As a child, most of my friends were toys. That is to wit, most of my friends were imaginary. This has profoundly impacted my attitude towards video games. Some people play characters in games as if they were an avatar of themselves; my cousin doesn't generally play characters that are female or black, because he's a white male. I'm not like this. I regularly roll female characters (despite being male), because I don't consider them an extension of myself. I view them more like imaginary friends. They're separate entities that I guide and take care of.

I see Pokemon the same way. I take care of them. I generally reset my DS any time one of my Pokemon faints, because I know I can do better. Any battle where even one of my Pokemon faints is a battle lost. The only exception is my first fight with the Elite Four on a given game, because I'm typically under leveled against them...

Last edited:

xTsutarjax

The Grass Snake Pokemon
    Years
    I'm attached to my pokemons.Sometimes I feel like restarting(because of boredom),but I love my pokemons too much to do that.
    Plus,I get really attached to them.I always give nicknames to them,I give personalities for each one etc....(That seems weird?XD)
    And I'm telling the truth:If I accidentally erased my empoleon,I would cry.
    Because it's really hard to erase the pokemon you trained hard,the pokemon you used to beat the E4,the ones who are registered on your Hall of Fame...

Years
    Ehhh, not really. I'm that type of person who loves playing a game over and over. Heck, there's even a game I've played through around 30 or more times. Not gonna say what it was (it was Hamtaro).

I can make the perfect team, but as soon as I beat the Elite 4 and any of that extra stuff, I start all over again. I just enjoy making various teams, I guess. :P So yeah... I don't really get attached to my Pokemon.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I get very attached to my Pokemon. I can never restart a game without transferring all the ones I've trained or bred to another game. I usually keep them on my Pearl game, and my sister is holding some on Diamond. I may have to buy more games just to store them all...

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    Yup, I hate losing my main party. I lost a lot of my old pokemon when I stuck pokemon on my brothers game and he stuck them on pokemon ranch and then started a new game. They're still alive, I just can't get to them. ;~;

femtrooper

Starfleet Commander
    Years
    Mehhhh, I'm okay with starting it over, but it's hard...it feels weird to just erase everything I've done. But then that's the fun of it! I'm 50/50 on this issue. I think the most attached I've ever been to my Pokémon was back in the Blue/Red days when they were my first Pokémon EVER. Little Bulby...*tear*. Anyway, yeah, I can see why it's hard, but not so much anymore for me.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2011
    Yeah. For my main game (not the one that I restart on a whim when I feel like it), I get very attached to my Team Pokemon. I also don't like erasing or giving way Pokemon that others have given to me with pretty much nothing back (aka, a Rattata for say... a Totodile). If I were to restart the game, those must be transfer to another game.

To put it simply: If I name the Pokemon and spend hours training it - or it was a gift - then I'm attached to them. Otherwise, no.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    Yeah. I get attached to my Pokemon easily. I hate it when I have to switch one out for some reason, and I feel like crap when one of my Pokemon faints. I also wish I could nickname my Pokemon, but for some odd reason, I feel like if I nickname it a bad name, the Pokemon would hate me forever or something... it's probably stupid, but I can't help it.

CounterattackDreamer

Impetuous and silly
    Years
    I actually get fairly attached to my Pokemon, even going as far as giving them complex backgrounds and personalities, using them in roleplays, etc. I wouldn't say I get upset when they faint or get angry when they get a status effect on them, but I certainly wouldn't be happy if they were deleted, even if I could get the same exact Pokemon very easily. I usually lose my games, though, so I usually keep my Pokemon with me in spirit. (Especially my favorite of my Pokemon -- Nina, the Typhlosion.)

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
    I get attached. I hate trading pokemon to other people unless I don't care for them. But I don't mind restarting games after importing shinies, rares, and legends.

Years
    I don't have problem with it. As a emulator player, I just make the back up save, copy into another folder and I can start game over again. If I finish the game I can restore my old save still.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Maybe he uses them in text-based RPs, like those on this forum. That's where my Pokemon from the games make a few appearances, or vice-versa. I immortalize my favorite Pokemon from the games that I've played in fanfics I write, or I base a team around some of the Pokemon my characters have/are (hi, humans who can turn into Pokemon).

Either way, I'm attached to my Pokemon. If I ever feel like restarting a copy of a game, I go through my boxes and transfer the Pokemon I really want to keep to another game. It's why I'm really upset that my Pearl version got soda dropped on it. The game hasn't quite gotten unplayable yet, but it holds all the Pokemon I'm attached to, and there's a lot.

It's like to me, the Pokemon are more important to transfer over because they can continue to help me reach achievements. Each previous one that they helped me get becomes a part of their history, and they hold onto that as they continue to travel around with me through the different games.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I definitely get attached to Pokemon I've raised and 'cared for' throughout the course of a game, and I only use Pokemon I named, so trading is only for 'Dex purposes. I also tend to migrate them to the next game I get at one point or another. All my teams from play-throughs of Emerald, FireRed, and Colosseum are enjoying new lives in Sinnoh and Johto via my Platinum and HeartGold, in addition to the teams from those games, and what I had moved from my Diamond before I lost it.

I think that very reason - attachment to my Pokemon - is why it's such a bummer that my Sapphire was lost. It had lots of lovingly-raised Pokemon on it (and over 300 hours play time), but it was gone before I even sent any of them to Diamond, if I remember right. Diamond at least was lost while I was already going through the long process of moving everything from it to Platinum in preparation for a restart, but I didn't get to finish.

CounterattackDreamer

Impetuous and silly
    Years
    That might be the most interesting response I've seen so far. What kinds of roleplays do you use them in? Freeform tabletop games, BESM, or something else...?

Maybe he uses them in text-based RPs, like those on this forum. That's where my Pokemon from the games make a few appearances, or vice-versa. I immortalize my favorite Pokemon from the games that I've played in fanfics I write, or I base a team around some of the Pokemon my characters have/are (hi, humans who can turn into Pokemon).
    Astinus is exactly right. I use them in text-based RPs/fanfictions. I also commonly draw the Pokemon that I have, well, "created" essentially. I've never really thought of using them in tabletop games. Maybe I could some day...

By the way, just so you're well informed, I'm actually female. C;

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    The reason why I hardly ever restart any game no matter how much I want to, to get back into that specific game, I cant. I just accomplished too much and my attachment to the pokemon I trained is too strong.

Back