• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Bad game in my opinion

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2010
    tier list of pokemon games (rpgs on handhelds ONLY)

God Tier = GSC
    Top Tier - RBY
    Mid Tier - DPPt
    Lower Mid Tier - Pokemon Pinball >:3
    Low Tier - RSE
    Fail Tier - FrLg

Nikorasu

Shut down the devil sound
    Years
  • It wasn't the worst, as far as I would go(personally, Johto was the worst in terms of everything barring pokemon, since Johto was unoriginal and I personally would like a new huge region instead of a crappy, half region that was visited once before.), but it was pretty irritating.
    The surfing was annoying, and Dive didn't make it better. Putting a cherry on a pile of crap doesn't make the crap much better.
    So yeah, I'm playing devil's advocate here.

You say Johto is the worst? Unoriginal? So you want a whole new region. Well good luck on that. More pokemon to add the the list of 400+.

Soon you'll be lucky even to find a zubat.

Johto was the best. Sinnoh was the worst.

Sinnoh did not entertain me at all. Team galactic had the worst ideas ever. (i mean going to that wind factory was idiotic) Whereas Team magma and team aqua had an awesome plot. The invasion of the weather centre was very clever. The fact that there was two teams in it made it even more interesting. Also when you have emerald you got to fight both of the teams.

Hoenn made me really enjoy the years i had it.

Sinnoh has around 13 legendarys; The worst battle frontier ever; Pokemon that look like the developers were either on crack cocaine or ran out of ideas; and the worst of all, the most boring storyline ever. Arceus looks like a wimp compared to something like Mewtwo or Ho-oh.

Also can anybody remember the first movie?

Where mewtwo and mew were claimed to be the most powerful pokemon in the world of pokemon?

Well what happened to that quote? Johto managed to stick to that with Lugia and ho-oh. Hoenn did untill Deoxys came out, but i haven't looked up on deoxys enough to see whether or not he is more powerful.
    Sinnoh just absolutely blew it.

Man, that was an abomination.

/rantend

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • no no no no no no no. Dont forget this is due to technology at the time. The GB color was released somewhere in early 2000-2001. GBA came out in 2003. RSE had full color, double battles, running shoes, EVs and IVs, diving spots, weather effects on routes, secret bases, contests, better berries etc. I think RSE was a step up from GCS. And hoenn was original, it was a freakin reboot people. I couldnt enjoy GCS until after I beat my sapphire version.

Maybe the reason why I liked FR/LG so much is that I didnt get a change to play the original RBY games until after I bought emerald. I think FR/LG owned RBY imo.

Sinnoh has around 13 legendarys
    half of those legends are not consider legendaries because there is no myth or story tied into it. Shaymin, manaphy, regigigas, and heatran, do you think that they are legendaries? I like to call them sub-legendaries

Last edited:
    Years
  • My favorites were ruby/sapphire/emerald actually :D They were my introduction into pokemon, they have a great story, great pokemon, classic graphics, and it was just all-round awesome!

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Soon you'll be lucky even to find a zubat.
    Because going clockwise around the region for a quarter of the game sure is fun.
    Sure. Johto was just so unique. It even had a town covered in snow, a haunted mansion, ruins stuck in the mountains, a different dimension, and an island specifically made for the battle frontier.

Sinnoh did not entertain me at all. Team galactic had the worst ideas ever. (i mean going to that wind factory was idiotic)
    It's called flavor. Johto and Kanto lack it, and Hoenn has too much of it spread unevenly.

Whereas Team magma and team aqua had an awesome plot. The invasion of the weather centre was very clever.
    How so? Take over this place/get some research. The only difference is that this wasn't 11 floors bigger and Team Rocket got a palette change.
    The fact that there was two teams in it made it even more interesting. Also when you have emerald you got to fight both of the teams.
    And they are both equally stupid and unsuccessful. So what if there's an extra team?
    Sinnoh has around 13 legendarys; The worst battle frontier ever;
    OMG 13 legendaries!!!1!!11!one!
    …Wait, why did that matter again? Oh right, it never did.

There were only two battle frontiers :/

Pokemon that look like the developers were either on crack cocaine or ran out of ideas;
    They actually got more specific and creative. I don't know what is going on through your head if you think
    Bad game in my opinion
    >
    Bad game in my opinion

and the worst of all, the most boring storyline ever. Arceus looks like a wimp compared to something like Mewtwo or Ho-oh.
    I can't stress enough how Pokemon isn't meant to have a storyline.
    And looks don't matter. Blissey would like to have a word with you.
    Also can anybody remember the first movie?
    Irrelevant, the anime was never meant to be tied in with the games, unless you really think it's possible for a Pikachu to KO a Rhydon with electric attacks by aiming for the horn.

Where mewtwo and mew were claimed to be the most powerful pokemon in the world of pokemon?
    Times change >__>
    It does if you are following the most popular method of the chronological order, which is that Kanto and Hoenn are roughly set in the same period and Johto and Sinnoh are roughly set in the same period.

Well what happened to that quote? Johto managed to stick to that with Lugia and ho-oh.
    They serve different purposes.

Hoenn did untill Deoxys came out, but i haven't looked up on deoxys enough to see whether or not he is more powerful.
    ^

rockshock28

Salamence Fan Club President.
    Years
  • Hoenn was my favorite, then Johto, Kanto, and Sinnoh. I am a little biased due to the fact that my first game was Emerald, so it was completely original to me, but it had a decent plot. Emerald was much better than R/S, because of the new story, and the epic cutscene mentioned above. And, I don't really get what is so annoying about water routes. There's a magical thing called a Repel that can make the Wingulls and Tentacools go away. And, for the record, Sinnoh was awful. I can't speak about Platinum, because I only played Diamond, but it just sucked. The thing that I hated the most though, is how they tried to make it all 3D. It looked horrible.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • Hoenn was fun. It wasn't my favorite, thats Johto, but its like, 1000000000000x better that that garbage dump they call Sinnoh. I liked a lot of the pokemon that were introduced. The surfing really wasn't that big of a problem, I think you people are just lazy :P .

I liked the Dive thing too, that was fun (and really over looked). Contests were fun I guess, I never really did them though. They were the first games I played with a Battle Tower (didn't buy Crystal until around December), and it was fun to me.

Those are the Pros.

The Cons:

Super-Lame and super easy Elite 4 (Blaziken anyone?).
    The legendaries were kinda lol.
    This is when the bad guys started getting pretty lame.
    Winonna's Altaria likes many mans, and walled me like a mother.

Overall, it was a pretty good Gen. I rank it 3rd overall (wow coincidence?). They had some pretty cool Pokemon (Walrien, Wailord, Flygon, Absol, etc) and the Dive HM was fun. But the difficulty simply wasn't there.

Johto > Kanto > Hoenn > Bowel Movements > Sinnoh ( I really hated Sinnoh)

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Ruby/Sapphire were okay with me. Not the best game, and not nearly as good as the remake Emerald... but it really didn't exceed my expectations. And it lacked the cut scene Moltres111 was talking about. : P

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
  • Well...

The problem with Pokemon games (the ONLY problem in my opinion) is that after the Elite 4 there is nothing to do. Of course prima always says "Y0u can c0ntinuu teh ADDv3nture after u b34t teh Gamez! LOLZ WHARFLE?!" But that isn't always the case. This is especially true for R/S, where after you beat the game there is literally NOTHING LEFT TO DO!! And that is why Johto was so succesful. You explore an entirely different region after beating it! There is still a plot left! And that's what players crave. A good plot. If there is no new plot it gets boring. I'm sorry you didn't like the game, but it happens. In my opinion the games are like this:

Johto > Kanto > Sinnoh > Hoenn. I slightly (ever so slightly) like Sinnoh better than Hoenn.

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2010
    Actually, i love Hoenn region, and of course i like Ruby and Sapphire Versions although you said there are nothing to do if we already beat the elite four. When Emerald comes out, it made me more excited :D

Last edited:

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I love pokemon in general and I am sure many others do as well, but there a few thigns I do not quite like.
    Although most people like Gen III I personally have to agree with you on sayig that Gen III R/S/E were the worst games I have ever played. I just didn't find it fun. At all.

Bela

Banned
    Years
  • It's been pretty much said already, but I strongly agree with R/S being the worst main series games.

After having played Blue, Yellow, and Gold, R/S was just really disappointing for many reasons. The first and foremost reason was that it was this generation that you could not trade with previous versions, so essentially we had to start all over again without having access to any of the Pokemon previously owned.

Second, the game lacking the palette changes for day and night seemed really strange considering they managed to implement this in GSC.

Third, the designs of some of the Pokemon seemed highly associated with the version's color. Camerupt is a good example of this. Red body, blue circles on its side. Yes, it's Ruby and Sapphire you're playing! Something about this just made me feel like Pokemon was being bastardized.

The regis were big, awkward, and uninspiring. They seemed like really dumb counterparts to the other versions' legendary trio. Legendary birds, legendary beasts, legendary animated pieces of earth? Which doesn't belong?

Pokemon Box, Game Boy Player, Jirachi Bonus Disc download, e-card battles. Ruby and Sapphire also was the first generation where they tried to supplement your playing with several extras, that way they make even more money off of you without having to create anywhere near as good a sequel as games like Gold, Silver, and Crystal would otherwise demand.

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2021
    It was good at the time, having all the upgrades and all from GSC, but yeah it was pretty weak over all. Battle frontier was legit though.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • Someone didn't bring max repels...

If you need to repel half the game, then you're only left with... half a game. Besides, there's not really any reason too. In Hoenn surfing wild Pokemon rarely appear. You'd find more trainers than Tentacool.

The surfing really wasn't that big of a problem, I think you people are just lazy :P .

How's that lazy? Surfing isn't difficult, it's harder to get through a grass route.

Also, I don't really see what was so good about Dive. It had some potential, but it certainly didn't meet that potential. Most of it is just one random, empty, straight line cavern, no Pokemon, scenery, or people. Then the rest has a bit of coral, but nothing much really.

Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2010
    I have so many favorite Pokemon from the Hoenn region, but I do agree with most of the people saying that R/S was the most lacking out of the series so far. D'X

empty streets

Ace trainer ★
    Years
  • Don't know what your problem is, but I never was so excited while playing a newly released game as I was when I was playing Ruby/Saphire. Maybe because of all of those new pokemon.

Nightrider434343

Intermediate Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2010
    FRLG were worse than R/S/E in my opinion. At least they showcased some new pokemon.

~Hot n' Cold~

is too good for a title.
    Years
  • No way.
    Hoenn rocks.
    Good Pokémon, nice levels.
    I don't know what you're talking about, especially with Emerald.

Amarantine

The psychic baritone ♠
    Years
  • I personally think (and i've said it before on other topic) that the game i hate the most is the 4th gen, Sinnoh. To start with, the starters. I always preferred the fire starters, it was a flawless win line. Typhlosion, Blaziken, Charizard...and then they come with a freaking monkey? i don't know why, but i hated chimchar since the very beginning.

But not only they're weird, most were ugly as hell...The only ones i save are Empoleon,Lucario, and some others i can't recall, but there wasn't a lot. Also the "Legendaries" or whatever.

I hated Emerald because of the bouncing sprites. It was ridiculous. I mean, if you're going to add animations to the pokémon, do like you did on CRYSTAL and for god's sake, work a little harder for your money like you used to do.

About Hoenn...well, i think it was ok. It wasn't the best ever (i think that was the second generation) but it wasn't the worst at all, it introduced some really cool pokémon.

My favorite pokémon game was without a doubt Crystal. The animations were great, the sprites were good, the story was fun, and i really enjoyed it. I guess that's all i have to say about it.

Back