• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Battle Tower (Information, Discussion, etc - like your neighborhood Ursaring)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    First of all, the basic set. 1: Ape wants a Life Orb in this case. 2. you have 598 EVs posted. The maximum number of EVs is 510. The EV set I recommend is 252 Spe/ 232 Spa/ 24 Atk, although you can tweak those around to your preference.
    The moves themselves are a nice choice, if you can get an Ice Hidden power, though, put it over Thunderpunch. Otherwise, the set is fine.

Fix'd

eww hp electric.... hp ice please

FinalPaladin

役 フロンティア
    Years
    garchomp@lifeorb
    sandveil
    adamant nature
    atk252/spe252/HP6
    earthquake
    crunch
    dragon claw
    swords dance

milotic@leftovers
    marvel scale
    modest nature
    SpD252/spA252/spe6
    hydropump
    icebeam
    hypnosis
    recover

i added the evs.who else should i put in.

i was thinkin of

electrode@focussash
    static
    ????? nature
    spA???/atk???/spe???
    explosion
    light screen
    thunderbolt
    ????????????

could i use this.please correct the ??????????s

TIC TAC

Xbox Live GamerTag:iDESTRUCTx
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Dec 25, 2017
    So yeah, I've been using this Machamp along side other pokes to see how it fares, rate it? *I made this up uber quickly*
    Machamp @ Expert Belt / Life Orb (Usually LO)
    No Guard
    252 Atk / 252 Speed / 6 Hp
    Fire Punch
    Ice Punch
    Thunder Punch
    Dynamic Punch

Has worked Miracles with D-Punch!! Rate away! I give it 9.5/10 as it doesn't really cover everything, but it covers a lot and enough!

Zetta-Chan

Shuckle Is A Goofy Goober. :D
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2012
    I would never use a No Guard 'Champ in BT ;_;. With all the OHKO moves around Sheer Cold, Fissure, Horn Drill, and others he gets eaten up. Guts is defiantely the way to go in BT, Rest Talk with Guts is the way to go. :>

Machamp @ Leftovers
    Adamant Nature / Guts
    252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Spe
    Cross Chop
    Stone Edge / Ice Punch
    Rest
    Sleep Talk

Stone Edge Vs. Ice Punch is just what kind of coverage you need. From lots of experience in BT I can say when you get to the higher numbers at least 1/2 of the trainers use OHKO. Personally though, I would prefer Swords Dance Luke > Champ.

Lucario @ Life Orb
    Adamant Nature / Inner Focus
    252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
    Swords Dance
    ExtremeSpeed
    Close Combat
    Stone Edge / Crunch / Ice Punch

This lets you have a better chance of evading OHKO's, and removes flinching because of Inner Focus. Stone Edge Vs. Crunch Vs. Ice Punch is all about coverage really.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
    Ooh I have a question about making a Battle Tower team.
    Would it be wise create a BT team based around Sandstorm so you can get the SP Def raise and the accuracy decrease on Pokemon using Sand Veil?

TIC TAC

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Dec 25, 2017
    I'm pretty happy with my champ as it is, been working miracles.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Well this is for the battle frontier's battle tower in emerald (that's third generation for those who are clueless), and I haven't tested it but whatever, it couldn't be any worse than my noob teams. In no particular order, my planned team:

Metagross @ Choice Band
    Trait: Clear Body
    EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Def
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Meteor Miss
    - Earthquake
    - Explosion
    - Rock Slide

CBgross was awesome enough in adv competitive, but the advantage in this is that the slow stallish teams will lose two members to this (one from the appropriate CB attack and another from Explosion). good defensive typing and Toxic immunity is amazing. Yea, Rock Slide is a filler but Gyarados could be a problem otherwise.

Starmie @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunderbolt
    - Recover

This is really fast (and trust me, I have the breeding resources available to make this have max speed. I mean it's pretty standard LOstar minus the LO because this is the previous generation lol.

Regice @ Chesto Berry
    Trait: Clear Body
    EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 56 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunderbolt
    - Toxic
    - Rest

The staller. Regice was actually really good when SR didn't exist for those who didn't know. Boltbeam is cool with 100 base SAtk and Toxic/ChestoRest is a good temporary staller.

-----------

i'm building up a whole army of competitive pokemon for the entire frontier, so I can make tons of switches between pokemon if necessary...which means feel free to move stuff around. I would like to keep Meta though since it's pretty damn awesome.

TIC TAC

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Dec 25, 2017
    Yeah, they're decent one thing, I think Zen Headbutt might hit more pokemon for a SE hit or neutral damage than Rock Slide.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
    Anti:
    "Meteor Miss"? lol.
    Do you mean Choice Band or something else because there were no Choice Bands in the previous generation.

Ambient

FC - 3438 3267 6705
    Years
    Anti:
    "Meteor Miss"? lol.
    Do you mean Choice Band or something else because there were no Choice Bands in the previous generation.

There were actually, take a look here:

https://www.smogon.com/rs/pokemon/metagross

Anti - Why not Psych Up instead of Toxic on Regice, it'll allow you to copy those annoying double teamers if their giving you a hard time, as well as giving calm minders something to think about.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
    Reply:
    Oh woah there were to!
    Well I never did the BT in Gen 3 so I suppose I wouldn't know would I? :P

Item : Leftovers
    Nature : Impish
    EV's : 252 HP / 16 Atk / 152 Def / 88 SpD
    Moveset :

• Yawn
    • Slack Off
    • Toxic
    • Protect
    Ok this is based off the set on Smogon for a Physical Wall with my own tweaks to the moveset. Basically I am wanting to abuse Sandveil in a BT team and I need someone to set up the sand. I intened to come in and start a sand storm, Yawn on Turn 1 and then switch to an attacker. I haven't used this in action yet but I presume it will be able to come in later (if need be) and toxic stall later on. Protect + Toxic = Stall fun and Slack Off is there for healing purposes and to help me stall.
    I am all ears for removing Protect for an attacking move, perhaps Ice Fang so that I can hit things. I can still cripple Pokemon with Toxic while dishing out damage and aiding the stall with Slack Off.

Yes this is a lead set, no I have no experience in the Battle Tower so I am all ears to suggestions.

TIC TAC

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Dec 25, 2017
    I may be rong, but I would recommend taking out yawn for EQ, two reasons :
    1. EQ can take down Steels that Toxic doesn't hit.
    2. You don't need two status moves, just keep toxic and wear them down ;)

Hope I helped!

moments.

quixotic
    Years
    Well I read that Yawn leads are effective and that is basically why I chose it.
    I have a question about that though. If I use Yawn in the Battle Tower, will the opponent be likely to leave his or her Pokemon in the Battle or switch to avoid sleep?
    I haven't done a BT battle before and I am inclined to think that the AI's reasoning might be different to a person.

TIC TAC

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Dec 25, 2017
    I don't use yawn, but I don't think they switch, but EQ is kind of a must have here, otherwise it's game over for your Hippo when a steel comes out.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Specs and Scarf didn't exist but CB did.

Double Teamers are hardly annoying though since they're easy to stall out or kill right away. Besides, copying their evasion doesn't really solve the problem (lack of ability to hurt them) and it destroys regice's ability to really stall. I actually I had to make the Sleep Talk vs. Toxic decision on my own since nobody said anything when I posted in in the sticky lol

You know even in 4th gen Regice is pretty legit. SR (as far as I know) probably isn't a problem in the BT and it can just ChestoRest it off. I mean, SR was essentially THE reason of Regice's decline (amog others but that was 3/4 of it).

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    Well I read that Yawn leads are effective and that is basically why I chose it.
    I have a question about that though. If I use Yawn in the Battle Tower, will the opponent be likely to leave his or her Pokemon in the Battle or switch to avoid sleep?
    I haven't done a BT battle before and I am inclined to think that the AI's reasoning might be different to a person.
    Just remember it's not the only strategy out there, when you're in your secret lil' lab, there's countless possibilities when it comes to an effective Battle Tower strategy / team. I merely use Yawn because I A) look up to the person who uses it a heck of a lot more effectively than myself, FastHippo. And B) It's fun for me. X)

To your question, in my experiences, unless it's something like a U-turn Infernape (because Uxie was weak to it), they won't be switching out. (They don't really predict sleep) I've had rare moments where a Glaceon would switch out after I used Yawn, but it's rare enough to say don't worry so much about it. The AI will fall asleep (bar berries / items! Annoying lum berries can be annoying D:) and you'll get some time. What you do with that time, however, is completely up to you.

Ack, sorry for the page wipe guys. D:

moments.

quixotic
    Years

Moveset :

• Yawn
    • Slack Off
    • Protect
    • Earthquake

Nature : Calm
    Ability : Water Absorb
    EV's : 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
    Moveset :

• Refresh
    • Toxic
    • Surf
    • Ice Beam / Haze

Item : Brightpowder
    Nature : Adamant
    EV's : 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Moveset :

• Substitute
    • Sucker Punch
    • Leech Seed
    • Focus Punch
    Ok this team are all based off the Smogon sets but I have tweaked them according to what I think is better suited to the Battle Tower.
    Hippowdon sets up a Sandstorm and Yawn's on the first turn. He then protects to save himself from damage next turn as the opponent falls asleep. I can then either take them out with Hippo or switch to a suitable other member of my party preferably Cacturne who is my attacker of sorts. Leech Seed, Substitute and Focus Punch all there to reap havoc while I evade using Sand Veil and Brightpowder. Politoed is my filling Special Defender and can do some Toxicing to soften the opposing team.
    I'm not sure if I should go with Ice Beam or Haze. Ice Beam gives me better coverage which I probably need more, but Haze is very tempting to prevent Pokemon setting up on me.

I haven't used this team yet, but I want some advice before I start training it to see how it fares.

Zetta-Chan

Shuckle Is A Goofy Goober. :D
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2012
    Do have any purley offensive Pocket Monsters in here? Leftovers on Poli and Hippo can't do, 1 of the same item per team. What's the point of Protect on Hippo? Put Ice Fang or Stone Edge over it. Cacturne could be replaced with Garchomp, who will make great use of the Sandstorm with Brightpowder or Lum Berry.

Garchomp @ Lum Berry / Bright Powder
    252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 HP
    Jolly Nature / Sand Veil
    Swords Dance
    Substitute
    Earthquake
    Outrage

Anyways.

So after ending my streak earlier today at 109, I decided I would give BT another go. Why? Because I am totally hooked now and want to know how to come up on top. So, I wanted to focus on one team member this time around, and Uber tier dragon by the name of Latias. Why not Latios though, I've heard many people ask. He has higher SpA. The reason behind this is because I wanted to run a Calm Mind set, one that Latias totally outclasses Latios in. Her spectacular SpD allows her to last longer, and power up even more. The following set was found on Smogon University, and is located here. I need help designing the team round her though, to the lead and the Physical Sweeper. I would prefer Yawn lead, but whatever you think is right. Also, I need a nickname for Latias ;_;. Thanks~

Latias @ Soul Dew
    112 HP / 204 SpA / 192 Spe
    Timid Nature / Levitate
    Calm Mind
    Recover
    Dragon Pulse
    Grass Knot

Last edited:

FinalPaladin

役 フロンティア
    Years

Moveset :

• Yawn
    • Slack Off
    • Protect
    • Earthquake

Nature : Calm
    Ability : Water Absorb
    EV's : 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
    Moveset :

• Refresh
    • Toxic
    • Surf
    • Ice Beam / Haze

Item : Brightpowder
    Nature : Adamant
    EV's : 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Moveset :

• Substitute
    • Sucker Punch
    • Leech Seed
    • Focus Punch
    Ok this team are all based off the Smogon sets but I have tweaked them according to what I think is better suited to the Battle Tower.
    Hippowdon sets up a Sandstorm and Yawn's on the first turn. He then protects to save himself from damage next turn as the opponent falls asleep. I can then either take them out with Hippo or switch to a suitable other member of my party preferably Cacturne who is my attacker of sorts. Leech Seed, Substitute and Focus Punch all there to reap havoc while I evade using Sand Veil and Brightpowder. Politoed is my filling Special Defender and can do some Toxicing to soften the opposing team.
    I'm not sure if I should go with Ice Beam or Haze. Ice Beam gives me better coverage which I probably need more, but Haze is very tempting to prevent Pokemon setting up on me.

I haven't used this team yet, but I want some advice before I start training it to see how it fares.

i was thinkin.if you send out hippo and use yawn on the next turn(if ur fighting a water poke) switch to politoed,use water absorb to take the hit and the opponent will sleep due to yawn,that would be my combo.skarmory would be a problem to the team. i would give cacturne focus sash.oh yeh take leftovers of hippo or toed cus u cant have 2 of the same item.good team u have

oh yeh,zetta-chan protect is there so u can use yawn on the first turn then protect on the second so u dont take any damage.it makes perfect sense
    it works like hypnosis.it can work with wish to.

finally,how much attack would a fully attack ev'd ,naive,infernape at level 50.thanx

Last edited:
    Years
    yawn then the pokemon will not switch in the bt...better to yawn and setup another poke like chomp,luke or scizor.EQ>ice fang as the extra power and stab is needed.if you face a flier.just yawn and switch!the bt pokes rarly or never switch!iv just gottten into the third gen battle tower
    thanks to anti pop so expect some Qs from me since you seem experienced in that area!
    zetta chan:soul dew dont work in the battle tower!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back