• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Battling with Legendary Pokemon?

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I haven't used many legendaries since early GenIII. I used Latias in Emerald and post-game Platinum, but that's about it really.
    This Gen I used Reshiram vs N/Ghetsis, but that was because I felt that it was what the story wanted me to do, although I boxed it straight after.

I'm tempted to use my Lvl 1 Shinjo Ruins Giratina in place of a starter on a playthrough of either Soul Silver or Platinum, for funs though.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2016
    I prefer not to use legends, but Latios, Cobalion, and. Raikou may be eventual exceptions.

I used to use legends, but in Diamond I realized they were overpowered. That team now has a Lumineon and Tyranitar on it, and I may or may not train a Lucario up to replace my Dialga (my last legend I actually use).

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I've never once used a legendary in my team - I don't find it realistic (lol at realistic when I'm playing pokemon, but you know) as I wouldn't catch a legendary if I actually was a Pokemon trainer. I find it a lot more satisfying to play non-legendaries, and I'll be honest that I get a bit of a chip on my shoulder when I'm battling someone who does have one on their team.

This. I don't use legendaries, and if I play a random person using legendaries I do get rather frustrated. Mainly because I know I'm not that great of a competitive player (it happens when you're so new at it), and although certain legendaries aren't banned because there are counters to them, I haven't been playing long enough to know the counters. Therefore, they kick me around the battle until I lose or forfeit, and it's a bit frustrating.

I'm actually giving my Zekrom to my boyfriend because I don't want to use it, and he would use it if I gave it to him, and the IVs in attack and defense are both in the very high 20s. I don't want that to go unused, but I don't want to use it either.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I always use the box legend in my final team. Sometimes I use a random member of a legendary trio instead.

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
    Years
    I think its comletely fair. They are no stronger than normal Pokes. Though if I can I don't use them but typically use the cover leg.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Casually, I wouldn't. When I just go play with my friends and stuff it's a lot less fun to use more powerful Pokemon like that.

Competitively, I do all the time. There are certain levels to "legendary" Pokemon (like, Jirachi and Celebi aren't Uber but Ho-oh and Kyogre are) and I only use the ones that aren't Uber. :>

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Honestly, in Secret Base battles (RSE) and GBA Link Battles, I didn't have that much of a problem with legendaries...I guess mostly because the teams of my friends and I were mixtures of "ubers" and "non-ubers"... "Sceptile used Leaf Blade!", and Groudon and Kyogre were pretty much done for in two hits. Sheesh. I despise the ideas of Pokemon tiers, but occasionally some sort of regulation is needed...

For some reason, the purported "OU Tier" is the one I hate the most. Essentially, if it's not one thing, it's another. (if "ubers" can't get overused, then these Pokemon will. Either way, there's still a set of Pokemon that are overrunning the metagame with their power in virtually ANY tier). :\

I won't rule out battling with or against legendaries, though it would be nice to have advance warning if the foe chooses to use them...

Meinfoo

Spelling error? Spelling win!
    Years
    Ledgendaries aren't that gamebreaking. I mean, specialized counters like Ariados can easily counter Darkrai in competitive play. But you can't really have a mixed battle of ubers and non ubers unless you have a limit on how many ubers you can use. Most ledgendaries are really weak/useless compared to other non-ledgendary Pokemon anyway.

Look at:

Moltres, Articuno, Ho-oh, (lol all three are 4x weak to SR) the regis, Mespirit, Shaymin (not sky), the tornado genie and Kyurem.

Compared to:

Ferrothorn, Burungel, Skarmory, Blissey, Tyranitar, Gengar, and many, many others.

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    I don't do competitive. But I still don't use legends, they are trophies to me. I like to go out and train the Pokemon I want. I like to be able to customize them so that they can fill certain rolls. You can't really do this with legends because you usually get them at level 40+, plus I just find something really unsettling by using this Pokemon that is at least statistically more powerful than most others. For me, going out and getting a super tank right before the 8th gym/ E4 and then using them takes the fun out of it.

Plus, by the time I get the the legends, my team is usually more powerful than the legends themselves.

And another thing, I love taking down N's legendary with my team of normal Pokemon.

Nashton

A Trainer Of Great Skill.
    Years
    in terms of competitive battling, if the rules allow for it, fine... I don't care use your legendary.

but I, myself, will not use them... 'cause my team can take them out fine... :/

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
    I only use darkrai as my team before that i have never used a pokemon in my team for gameplay or wifi battling.

Legendary are not much more powerful than a reg pokemon in-game. Its fair and i think they should be aloud in competive play.

pokehskfmn

Casual Trainer
    Years
    I normally don't like using pokémon that are termed as Legendary because as an RPG gamer at heart, it feels like I'm not being true to the plot where the legendary pokémon maintain like...the Earth's balance, I feel like catching them and using them would send the planet spiraling into the sun or something, lol!

I don't like to use Legendary, but after ash got defeated by ( I don't rememberer his name) in the champion league by Latios and Darkrai ( I feel like using legendaries)

Although I am somewhat tempted to agree with this. When Tobias cheated Ash out of his Sinnoh League victory cuz he used an Action Replay (:paranoid:), I didn't feel as bad about it...

P.S. - I envision there to be multiple Darkrai, Heatran, the three Regi Golems, even Celebi. But pokémon like the 5 legendary birds, Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza, and the 3 beasts (Entei, Raikou, Suicune) to be one-of-a-kind, and therefore feel awkward about using them...

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Normally I try and kill the legendaries whenever I encounter them... so, I don't really care for using them in battle. When I had to capture Reshiram, I almost didn't use him in the battle against N, but then realised that would be a suicidal idea!

If I do capture legendaries, it's pretty much off to Box 1 in Someone's PC for them to live their lives forever more.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    I don't use any legendaries in any team for any battle, except Zekrom. He actually helped me a lot when battling against Ghetsis. But I boxed him ever since. I just feel that I'm not actually a person worthy enough to command them.

Years
    I don't use any legendaries in any team for any battle, except Zekrom. He actually helped me a lot when battling against Ghetsis. But I boxed him ever since. I just feel that I'm not actually a person worthy enough to command them.

Aww don't put yourself down lol! :) Quite refreshing though, never heard such a humbling attitude before :) Usually it's "That Legendary WILL be miiiiine!!" :D lol but yeah I see where you're coming from, what with the myth that surrounds them, perhaps it's better that they should be left to roam, who knows :)

West the Hardcore Nerd

Giggles at the ghosties!
    Years
    Honestly, there's nothing more fun than destroying a field of Ratatta with what is essentially a god, but it might be a little unfair (i.e. pretty freakin' unfair) if you use them in a multiplayer battle. Unless, of course, they train Legendaries as well.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    I only use one legendary IF I need a Pokemon Party boost-up (i.e, hard trainer to beat, E4, etc). One legendary per party is fine. 2 or more is just... awful, to be honest. I don't think I ever "box" the legendary I used. (in FR/LG, I never boxed my Articuno, because it's an amazing addition to my team).

Geras

Roleplayer
    Years
    I don't use legendaries on my team, nor do I need to when i can KO my friend's Zekrom with a Durant. It doesn't seem very realistic either, as has been said, since you shouldn't be able to capture things like the GOD OF POKEMON in a small technological ball, much less even encounter it in the first place when they can create what they want to destroy you, freeze you eternally in time, or just plain get rid of you through space manipulation. IMO, only a legendary trainer should be able to command a legendary pokemon. Also, it's sort of embarrasing when:

-36/47 legendaries are susceptible to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJxvmtCwAZY

-and 46/47 legendaries are susceptible to THIS:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye7b3bOQ6lY

Back