• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best Pokemon main game story? Spinoff Game?

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2017
    I'm not sure if there has already been a similar topic started but I was wondering which main Pokemon game had the best story in your opinion? I can't remember from the ones I've played and I'm really into story. I was also wondering which spin off had the best story.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Emerald has the best story in my opinion. Both villains manage to succeed in their plans, but without realizing it, they start a war between Kyogre and Groudon that causes all kinds of problems, only for you to call upon Rayquaza to save the day. It's extremely unique in its nature and I really enjoy it.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Hmm, tough one. So I'll ramble on points I jotted down on every so often over the last couple hours between work!

The first two gens are probably the most simplistic. The first game has you training to become a champion, and meanwhile you fought TR because Giovanni wanted power/money via the Game Corner operations, Siph takeover, etc and by exploiting Pokemon. And in GSC, you fight people trying to put TR back together by (besides cutting Slowpoke tails) experimenting with radio waves that forced Pokemon to evolve, and then taking over the radio tower to both exploit this and call their former leader Giovanni back to help them lead again.

But I don't think this is a bad thing. Sure, it's not the deepest, but it's decently done, it's understandable, and there's a clear plot and motivation for both TR and for stopping them. Throw in some touch ups and details in HGSS like more from Silver (including that Celebi event) and some more for the Ho-oh/Lugia parts of things (plus Eusine and Suicune extending across both regions!), and I'd say it's actually pretty well rounded.

RSE... I will agree with flight that the base for it is great. We have two different teams that are basically eco-terrorists fighting to in their mind help the environment! You have grander events too - you climb volcanoes in a race to stop them erupting, you travel under the sea to chase a hijacked submarine, you even have legendary Pokemon directly involved in the plot! That's actually pretty darn good.

The downside however is the execution of the bad guys' action. 'I'm going to erupt the volcano with the energy of this meteorite, and this will help the environment! (Even if they were team aqua).

Uh... what? I'm sorry, things don't work like that, not even in the logically inconsistent Pokemon world. And then there's fallacies in groudon/kyogre as well (hotter conditions will evaporate water... forming rain clouds, while making more rain means you're needing to take that rain from land-level water anyways...). As grand as it tried to be, even as a kid I was not convinced.

Fair play to the remakes in ORAS tackling these issues. Not only is stuff expanded on (mega stones, Steven, etc), but stuff is changed. There's more difference between Magma and Aqua now (as well as their respective leaders!), Mt. chimney isn't planned to be erupted, etc. Sure, some things could be improved yet, but this was much more well rounded, so ORAS may actually get my nod. In part because they also added that additional Delta episode which is pretty darn awesome with events too, and Sea Mauville and the additional elements associated with that were fantastic additions. More story telling like that, please!

DPPt... they were alright imo overall. Cryus' plan is pretty darn extreme, but I could believe his motivations and how he basically lead his grunts blindly behind creating a new world... different to the one he wanted to make anyway. The build up was fine, and Platinum also rounded things out a bit better, along with new characters (Looker!). This story was more grounded if you ignore the finale than the RSE plot events were imo, which can be both a good and bad thing.

BW is right up there. Yes, it also has a number of flaws, but I feel that it was the best effort until *maybe* ORAS, and it did one thing better than the hoenn plot did in involving characters. Nearly every Gym Leader was involved, and the theme of Plasma's ambitions was around from the beginning. N I disliked as a character, and how the story was presented at times was too one-sided, but compare it to other games and how you first learn about their respective groups. TR grunts... steal the Dig TM, or cut tails off some dim-witted Pokemon. Not much direct relation to their grand plan. RSE - guy tries to steal Devon stuff, which is related to an aspect but you don't quite get the team's major ambitions from those incidents until finally you get to the museum. It goes on. Here you first encounter them with Ghetsis giving a town speech telling everyone what Plasma wants! And as silly as the final surprise was (and annoying how they had mentions of hacking the PC system yet doing nothing with it - that's a great plot idea!), it was a fine way to end things.

B2W2 may be more 'epic', but it was a worse story imo compared to BW. Your rival was just plain irritating and painfully obvious with his motivation and interactions with you. Using a pokemon-powered ice cannon is cool... but nothing much then came of it! And then stuff got a bit too muddled...

XY. Well, frankly this was disappointing. Again, like RSE it had neat basis for themes. But it was so darn condensed. You battle the big bad three times between the 7th and 8th gyms! The ending is so ridiculousness I had to laugh at it. Unlike BW, the rivals were all plain unlikeable despite being made to be nice. The Gym Leaders... well, unlike BW/B2W2 I struggle to remember more than a few names because most don't offer anything to the plot or even appear outside of their gyms and be noteworthy in said appearence (something that at least a couple Gym Leaders have done per game since gen 2... well, RSE wasn't great with it either to be fair. ORAS did better with e.g. Wattson). It's just frankly a mess.

Epic? It tried to be, but the execution is all over the place. (And then there's more obvious flaws. This well meaning leader has a set up that only the rich will be able to survive and enjoy a new beautiful world. That's not a beautiful thought at all, yet this appears like a plot hole rather than a feature. Then the professor speaks about how passionate he was, honhonhon. Despite his attempted genocide.)

So... uh. tl;dr - Kanto/Johto games - simple but imo actually pretty decent with the stories, because they're sensible and believable.
    Hoenn - RSE lacked in execution of the plot, ORAS did well to address many aspects and flesh it out.
    Sinnoh - actually fairly solid overall imo.
    BW - great attempt at involving many more characters and sideplots into the story and being consistent in its pacing. B2W2 - grander attempts, some neat themes but less enjoyable for myself due to rival/some plot points.
    XY - potential but alas, so much wrong with the execution, plot and supporting characters.

tl;dr again - ORAS or BW imo.

I'll ramble about what I know of spinoffs some other post. Because you know I have something to say about Colosseum at least. Got work to stop procrastinating on. =p

Bay

Years
  • Going to agree with bobandbill over ORAS and BW. ORAS improved some aspects of RSE's plot and the characterizations are better. I quite like the primal Kyogre/Groudon and the Delta Episode stuff too. The gym leaders being involved are what I love most about BW and you at least have an idea of Team Plasma's motivation right away. So yeah, I think I'll go with ORAS and BW as my favorites storywise.

B2W2 may be more 'epic', but it was a worse story imo compared to BW. Your rival was just plain irritating and painfully obvious with his motivation and interactions with you. Using a pokemon-powered ice cannon is cool... but nothing much then came of it! And then stuff got a bit too muddled...

I think one of my biggest problems with B2W2 is Ghetsis's motivation with just turning the world to ice and not much follow through with it.

XY. Well, frankly this was disappointing. Again, like RSE it had neat basis for themes. But it was so darn condensed. You battle the big bad three times between the 7th and 8th gyms! The ending is so ridiculousness I had to laugh at it. Unlike BW, the rivals were all plain unlikeable despite being made to be nice. The Gym Leaders... well, unlike BW/B2W2 I struggle to remember more than a few names because most don't offer anything to the plot or even appear outside of their gyms and be noteworthy in said appearance (something that at least a couple Gym Leaders have done per game since gen 2... well, RSE wasn't great with it either to be fair. ORAS did better with e.g. Wattson). It's just frankly a mess.

I already mentioned to you before about my problems with the gym leaders too, haha. But yeah, the pacing isn't great either. I was okay with the middle, but the beginning (the huge gap between first and second gym) and the ending where you go against Lysandre three times threw me off.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Not like any of the stories in Pokemon are writing gold, but Black/White and ORAS had the best stories in the main series games....I mostly agree with what Marcin said about those 2.

As for the spin-offs I can't really say much because the only spin-offs I've played are the Stadiums and Conquest, and Conquest's is nothing special.

I have always been of the opinion though that no villain team to date has ever actually completed their goal. Team Aqua and Magma's primary goal was to expand the sea and land, respectively. Awakening Kyogre and Groudon was just a means to that end. They never did expand the sea/land, they just invited catastrophic climate change to the world, which fortunately the player quickly puts an end to before any real damage is done.

Boured

The Guildmaster
    Years
  • I'm not sure if there has already been a similar topic started but I was wondering which main Pokemon game had the best story in your opinion? I can't remember from the ones I've played and I'm really into story. I was also wondering which spin off had the best story.

I don't know what main game has the best story considering that they all pretty much follow the same formula.

If you want a spinoff with a good story look no further than Pokemon Mystery Dungeon these games in my opinion are better in terms of story so much in fact that the ending literally made me cry so if you ever get the chance play it.

AquaMarine8

One less, one less problem~
    Years
  • I always thought that R/S/E had the best stories, as well. I love Meteorology, so of course an entire Pokemon game about it earns my vote.

As for spinoff games, I thought Colosseum had the best story. The whole Shadow Pokemon idea was so unique and cool.

Limbo

Basically, I love glasses
    Years
  • Generation V is definitely at the top of my list! BW in particular. I enjoyed BW2's plot mainly because it was engaging, but unlike that, BW's plot was actually thought-provoking. At least, compared to the rest of the games. It's true that it was one-sided in its approach, with the message clearly being, "The bond between Pokemon and trainers is the best!" I still enjoyed it because of the fact that they brought this up in the first place. Before playing BW I had thought about the ethics of keeping these animals trapped in little orbs and released to fight one another, so it was a pleasant surprise to see this hadn't slipped Gamefreak's mind.

I can see why others wouldn't like N, but personally I did. My first impression was that he was.. kinda creepy, but as the game progressed I noticed that he was basically a Pokemon sympathizer. His past and his ability to speak with Pokemon were a bit cliche, but I can look past that because of his overall impact on the story. He's the representation of the other side, of the side that believes using Pokemon is wrong. And really, his position is perfectly understandable. This also makes him an infinitely more interesting rival than Bianca or Cheren, or any others I can recall for that matter.

As for spin-offs, I'm gonna go with Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity. I really enjoy the Mystery Dungeon games because of their interesting stories and characters, but also because of the different gameplay mechanics and the fact that you play as Pokemon in a world of only Pokemon. Gates to Infinity is my favorite out of them all because of the many improvements made over the older games, which I at times found frustrating due to gameplay and the levelling up process. The story intrigued me as much as that of Time and Darkness (my second favorites) but the gameplay definitely sealed the deal.

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    Honestly, I never really cared for the games having a deep story. For this reason, I preferred Kanto/Johto's stories best.

Yes, there was a story, but it wasn't some epic adventure. It was more about the protagonist simply trying to be the best he can be while stumbling into some gangster's business unintentionally and getting wrapped up in a somewhat grounded event. The story here lends itself more to implication than induction. It's implied that the world is a deeper place through quick interactions: several characters referencing a past war, Rocket's experiments, etc...
    I guess I like this style of storytelling because it does not feel too forced, you can pretty much go about your business enjoying your freedom, figuring things out on your own rather than having it forced down your throat like post gen 3 games.

When I play gen 4+ games, I get bored with the plot and wind up mashing A to finish the dialogue to get to the action. I understand that the Gym Leaders are involved in regional events, and I appreciate that, but why are they enlisting my help? I beat them, yeah, but I'm just a kid.

One thing that I would like would be more interaction between the Gym Leaders and the protagonist in a mentorial relationship. You're supposed to learn something from a gym leader battle, that's the point, so teach the protagonist something more than "electricity is strong against birds".

rant

Colorado290

Lazy Grump
    Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2015
    Agreed, Black and White for me was so incredible in sense of story because instead of "world calamity monster of the week" that RSE and DPPt had, the legendaries were just really strong Pokemon that "represented" their aspects, rather than have sole control over it. That, and the story kept making so many twists and turns, and for the first time in any Pokemon game, I started questioning if capturing them and making them fight was truly right, and I was... what... 17? When these games came out, and I was very cynical. And unlike the other games, the ending wasn't so rinse wash repeat like the others, which I'm glad Game Freak is starting to implement with their After-Credit Battles, to make you feel surprised.

Black and White 2 were also good, but they followed too closely to the older formulas, imo. Still two of my favorite games, don't get me wrong.

Back