• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best villain group in game and anime

Which team is your favorite?

• Team Rocket

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Team Magma/Team Aqua

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Team Galactic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Team Plasma

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Team Flare

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bestintheworld

Capo de tutti capo
    Years
    For me being a total genwunner I found team rocket to be the best and most interesting group. I mean Jesse, James, and meowth enough said.. Add in the evil Giovanni who was the viridan city gym leader in gen 1 and it's spells trouble. From their tactics to personalities I would definitely say team rocket will always be my favorite villain group in pokemon and maybe in all games/anime. So who was your favorite villain group in either the games or anime.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    The most villainous goes to Teams Magma and Aqua for me in the Anime and the games, but for the overall best (in the anime at least) I'd say Team Rocket's #1. I love how they wrote Jessie's, James', and Meowth's characters to be supposed cold crooks that have really big hearts for others. That's just so sweet. :)

GhastlyGastly

Crazy Pokémon Lady
    Years
    I have a very nostalgic attachment to Team Rocket; I love them so much. Jesse and James and Meowth are embedded in my psyche forever.

However: as for the best villains, Team Rocket can't possibly win, they're too silly and incompetent. I have to vote for Team Plasma as the best villains: because theirs is a subtle villainy. They succeed because of demagoguery: their arguments and their ideals actually make some degree of sense, for a while anyway (up until they decide to forcibly take people's Pokémon away, and use them for their own purposes once they've left everyone else defenseless).
    They're the Pokémon equivalent of a terrorist organization, basically: their ideas are actually reasonable enough that they can get people to follow them and comply with them, even though secretly they're total hypocrites and have a covert sinister agenda. Yeah, as villains go in Pokémon, Team Plasma is well-developed and plausible. So they have to be the best for me, hands-down.

Bestintheworld

Capo de tutti capo
    Years
    I have a very nostalgic attachment to Team Rocket; I love them so much. Jesse and James and Meowth are embedded in my psyche forever.

However: as for the best villains, Team Rocket can't possibly win, they're too silly and incompetent. I have to vote for Team Plasma as the best villains: because theirs is a subtle villainy. They succeed because of demagoguery: their arguments and their ideals actually make some degree of sense, for a while anyway (up until they decide to forcibly take people's Pokémon away, and use them for their own purposes once they've left everyone else defenseless).
    They're the Pokémon equivalent of a terrorist organization, basically: their ideas are actually reasonable enough that they can get people to follow them and comply with them, even though secretly they're total hypocrites and have a covert sinister agenda. Yeah, as villains go in Pokémon, Team Plasma is well-developed and plausible. So they have to be the best for me, hands-down.

Good perspective, team plasma is probably my second favorite after team rocket. They were also probably the best thing a about gen 5 in my opinion due to the lackluster pokes. Ghettis had a very strong presence and was a strong character much like Giovanni was in the game and anime. That being said, for me it comes down to pure nostalgia for team rocket, and although their "silly" and "incompetent", what other team has spanned multiple generations, captured pickachu multiple times, oh and genetically modified and created a pokemon(mewtwo)?

GhastlyGastly

Crazy Pokémon Lady
    Years
    Good perspective, team plasma is probably my second favorite after team rocket. They were also probably the best thing a about gen 5 in my opinion due to the lackluster pokes. Ghettis had a very strong presence and was a strong character much like Giovanni was in the game and anime. That being said, for me it comes down to pure nostalgia for team rocket, and although their "silly" and "incompetent", what other team has spanned multiple generations, captured pickachu multiple times, oh and genetically modified and created a pokemon(mewtwo)?

I agree about Ghetsis being a strong character; yeah, Generation V was a pretty disappointing generation as far as the new Pokémon, in my opinion. Team Plasma might indeed have been the most interesting part of the whole generation.

You make fair points about Team Rocket though. I admit, when I say "Team Rocket", I'm referring to Jesse, James, and Meowth; who are indisputably incompetent (their capturing Pikachu multiple times can't possibly count: the didn't succeed in keeping Pikachu, did they?). But yes, the greater Team Rocket, with all they achieved, is one of the better villain organizations. Giovanni was a deeply interesting and complex character, and easily an equal to Ghetsis. He managed to not only be (apparently) a brilliant legitimate businessman (as well as brilliant illegitimate businessman as well), but to found and head an enormous criminal organization whilst simultaneously acting as the Gym Leader of Viridian City. And the creation of Mewtwo is greatly interesting as well. I don't think that Team Rocket can be granted all of the credit for Mewtwo, since the Mew research which led to Mewtwo was only partly connected to Team Rocket, but their contribution is noteworthy, for sure, particularly when it comes to Giovanni's training of Mewtwo.

Chocolate™

Awesome Dragon
    Years

I personally agree with you. Team Plasma have some sort of sense while actually starting out. That's probably the first time people do something like that in a pokemon game. The leader is proably he best pokemon villain ever and is actually thinking that he is saving pokemon while doing all his stuff. Although their suits in the original black and white are ridiculous.

Years
    Echoing what has already been said in this thread, I'd go with Team Rocket (excluding the anime trio) and Team Plasma as the two best villanous groups within the series. Team Rocket's goal seems to be evil for the sake of being evil, while still staying in the public eye by running things like the Game Corner, and Giovanni being the Viridian City Gym Leader. As for Team Plasma, Ghetsis' diversion plan of freeing Pokemon from trainers to make it easier to take over the world is quite ingenious- much more clever than re-colonizing in space or flooding the earth.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Plasma for pretty much all of the reasons GhastlyGastly already mentioned. I'll even go on record as saying that Ghetsis is probably the best villain in the Pokémon main series games to date. His lopsidded and asymmetrical design, his duplicitous nature, his implied child abuse with N, the fact that he trains a Hydreigon...badass incarnate.

I'd say Team Rocket because they created Mewtwo.

I'm pretty sure this is only canon to the anime. In the games it was merely a private endeavor that may or may not have been funded by Giovanni, but nobody knows.

Years
    This one is kind of tricky.. I know pretty much nothing outside of Team Rocket as far as the anime is concerned.. and since the anime makes up it's own rules most of the time, I don't know how legit they are.

I think my favorites would have to be Team Aqua/Magma .. though the story, from what I remember, is written in such a way that it's hard to tell which one is really bad when they both have a certain degree of good intentions in mind. I would side with Magma, given Hoenns situation.. but if they get out of control and turn everything into a desert, that would be bad.. so.. I dunno I like complex "villians" I guess.

But for silly fun time non-sense, Team Flare and Team Rocket all the way. I imagine if all the teams got together in the same room, Rocket and Flare would be the life of the party while the others kind of just brood in a corner.

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
    Years
    I've always loved Jessie and James xD I loved them. They're the best villains. Plus they have Meowth.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
    Years
    If we are talking best villain group, then I would say Team Plasma. Ghetsis is a smart villain and his manipulation skills were definitely second to none. The way he created N is just brilliant and the most sinister thing I've ever seen in Pokemon.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    I find Team Galactic to be the best and most evil team within the shows and games. No other team's plans matched up against the sheer magnitude of Team Galactic's. (Perhaps...Aqua/Magma's in some respects.) I found Cyrus to be creepy sinister, especially since he wanted to erase the whole world and all of its inhabitants (including himself and his commanders) to build a whole new world. I also found them to be the most formidable team in the game; Cyrus was actually pretty hard to beat on several occasions.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    Nostalgically I really liked Team Rocket, but Team Plasma wins as most evil villain team in the history of Pokemon. If you played BW2, you can tell that Plasma has evolved from this newly formed team to a team ready to dominate.

Back