• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Bike vs. running shoes

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    What do you prefer to use, bike or running shoes? Personally, I prefer to use running shoes, I feel more in control and I especially prefer it on Heart Gold/Soul Silver versions as I like having my Pokemon follow me.

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
    Years
  • What do you prefer to use, bike or running shoes? Personally, I prefer to use running shoes, I feel more in control and I especially prefer it on Heart Gold/Soul Silver versions as I like having my Pokemon follow me.

Soul Silver for the win my friend, and to answer your question. to get around town in, i use my running shoes. but when I'm hatching eggs. i always use my bike haha. if you are ever wanting to trade. just private message me. I'm sure we can sort something out. just a thought.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I always preferred the running shoes, and I'm thinking mostly about Ruby version here. It took me a while to realize that there was an Acro bike, so I kept getting mad about how difficult the Mach bike was to steer xD

The running shoes go fast enough. If they pokémon would follow you in HG/SS, it would totally be a bonus too :D I haven't played those games, is all.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • Running shoes all the time. Unless I'm trying to speed hatch.

But with the shoes your random encounter chance goes down and you have much more control.

With the bike you get attacked within 2 steps and you, well, as it was implied from above, you have less control.

Sirfetch’d

I always prefer the running shoes as they are available earlier and honestly just more convenient. Also I feel sometimes the bike goes too fast and it's harder to navigate. I really only use the bike for hatching eggs.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • I got used to using the bike so I use it all the time. My only exception is my Soul Silver game, where I walk (no bike no running shoes) I really love interacting with my Pokemon.

Paulthagerous

Master of the Dragonites
    Years
  • Bike most of the time. It's just quicker. In HGSS I prefer walking, so I can talk to my Pokemon. Otherwise shoes are just slower.

Years
  • I think each one have theirs pros and cons.

Runing shoes: Gives you more precision to your moves, and are better to avoid undesirable, like you're in caves. other advantage like Mackened said is in pokemon SS/HG your main pokemon can follow.

Bike: For breeding!. Do you imagine try to hatch eggs just running. That will take a lot more of time. Other reason is in most of the pokemon games the running shoes only work meanwhile you press button B, and that is some tired after some time.

So i say for me its a draw.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I'mma move this to Pokemon Gaming Central, as it's specifically about features present only in the games.

Moving on up

gSpartan150

Intermediate Johto Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2013
    I think that Running Shoes are easier to handle. But like said above, I do think that for hatching Eggs you need a bike.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I like the Running Shoes! I find them more precise than the Bike, though the Bike definitely has its uses, like hatching eggs and when you're really in a hurry. I'm not normally in a hurry though, so running is fine with me. I don't understand why you need to receive them as an item, though. Always seemed silly to me. Hopefully you just automatically have them in XY and future gens!

Years
  • I like using both, but I use the Running Shoes more often. The only time I use the bike is mainly for hatching eggs. It may be annoying having to hold down B all the time to run but I hope X & Y might bring back the auto-run feature that HG/SS had.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I mostly use the running shoes, since I find them easier to use, especially when running around towns and in-and-out of buildings. If I'm traveling a long distance and need to get there in a hurry, then I pull out the bike and head straight there.

Like everyone else, hatching eggs pretty much asks for the bike.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Running Shoes, yes! I love using them, they're far more convenient than the bike, and it's accessible button-wise. xD

ISNorden

Teddiursa
    Years
  • The bike is a major pain, to be honest...especially when those 4th-gen games put bike ramps in a dungeon or cave, and don't include enough space for the bike to jump over nearby obstacles. (I can't count how many items I've left behind because the bike landed squarely between two ramps, both pointed the wrong direction.) Give me the shoes any day!

Years
  • Up until the fifth-gen games came around, I always went with the running shoes, hands down. Now that we've got the quick select menu that can store multiple key items, I use the bicycle a lot more, but even then, it's still only half as often as just using the running shoes.

Years
  • When I'm grinding, I usually use running shoes, I ecounter Pokemon with them faster. I'm only using bike for breeding, waiting for egg to hatch.

Back