• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Bon Voyage ✈ The PC Travel Club

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
  • Hey everyone. I'm SS01. I'm from Ottawa, Canada - yay boring city! I've been to loads of places across Canada - I don't exactly love it here but there is some interesting stuff. What stood out the most to me was probably Québec City, the Rocky Mountains, and the East Coast + Newfoundland. Not a ton to see here in Ontario. Also been to Paris, France, Barbados (it's -17 here as I type this, I could go back there ;P) and will be going to either the Czech Republic or Romania in June for a meeting, not sure which country yet though. I'm pretty sure I'm banned from the United States (Cuban travel) but I've never tried to visit so I can't say for sure.

GUYS HE TRAVELS TOO MUCH. Welcome, Shiny!~

I love how you IM me about your travels, Shiny. I mean, I known you for what.. two years now? And you were heading somewhere for business. It's amazing to know someone who travels in some parts of the world for work purposes. Not only you'll be able to work, but you'll also have some opportunities to expand your passport book and explore many places you never thought possible!

I do have a question for you though: out of all the places you visited, which one would be your most favorite? I never got the chance to ask you in IM but I'm asking you now. :P

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • Alright, do allow me to set up a new topic for the entire club. let's say you have $ 500.- (US Dollars) to spend on a trip. how'd you plan your trip? Note that $500.- is the limit for transport, accommodation and major activities (like theme park entrance fees), so don't worry about spending money for drinks and shopping and the like. (Though I'd like to know how much you are planning to spend on that too. XD)

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Alright, do allow me to set up a new topic for the entire club. let's say you have $ 500.- (US Dollars) to spend on a trip. how'd you plan your trip? Note that $500.- is the limit for transport, accommodation and major activities (like theme park entrance fees), so don't worry about spending money for drinks and shopping and the like. (Though I'd like to know how much you are planning to spend on that too. XD)
    Having no knowledge of airfare prices, I'd probably head out on a road trip out west (US). Not sure how far I'd get with $500 worth of gas - $ used for other stuff, so I guess it'd be just one of those go with the flow road trips. Probably stop and take a look at the scenery, assuming I pass some interesting scenery. I'd like to make it out to the west coast, but I don't think I'd be able to on $500.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Anyone is allowed to set up a topic, Arma. No worries. :)

Let's say you have $ 500.- (US Dollars) to spend on a trip. how'd you plan your trip?

$500 won't cover airfare, unfortunately, since I want to travel far and long. Most cheap way I'd go somewhere far would probably be by train or by bus. $50 or so bucks for a ticket round-trip, so I'd be left with $400 or so bucks for souveniers and food. Might have enough to rent me a car too. :D It's all about being wise by checking for alternatives without having to spend half of that money on gas and car repairs. :x

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Let's say you have $ 500.- (US Dollars) to spend on a trip. how'd you plan your trip?
    I'd try to save as much as I possibly can on transportation, because, honestly, who wouldn't? xD" If it were free, then it would be even better. If not, then I guess I'd spend about $50 on it. As for rest, those would go under tickets, food, and all that stuff. If I were to shop there, then I'd spend at least $200.

SS01

#PoC Collab
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    GUYS HE TRAVELS TOO MUCH. Welcome, Shiny!~

I love how you IM me about your travels, Shiny. I mean, I known you for what.. two years now? And you were heading somewhere for business. It's amazing to know someone who travels in some parts of the world for work purposes. Not only you'll be able to work, but you'll also have some opportunities to expand your passport book and explore many places you never thought possible!

I do have a question for you though: out of all the places you visited, which one would be your most favorite? I never got the chance to ask you in IM but I'm asking you now. :P
    I loved Paris. The history there is incredible, especially coming from a country as, ahem, dull as Canada. :P
    Alright, do allow me to set up a new topic for the entire club. let's say you have $ 500.- (US Dollars) to spend on a trip. how'd you plan your trip? Note that $500.- is the limit for transport, accommodation and major activities (like theme park entrance fees), so don't worry about spending money for drinks and shopping and the like. (Though I'd like to know how much you are planning to spend on that too. XD)
    Bus to Montreal airport - $30

Flight Montreal, Canada - Havana, Cuba = $170 with Cuba de Aviación

Lodging at one of the Cuban casas particulares for a week = $20/night? at most

That leaves $160 for other stuff. I have experience travelling cheaply. :P

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Slightly off-topic, but I'm heading to Florida for a week! Thought it was somewhat relevant since this is a travel club haha. Haven't spent much time there beyond a day or so, so it should be fun. Definitely going to run us more than $500, but I imagine most trips do lol.

Bus to Montreal airport - $30

Flight Montreal, Canada - Havana, Cuba = $170 with Cuba de Aviación

Lodging at one of the Cuban casas particulares for a week = $20/night? at most

That leaves $160 for other stuff. I have experience travelling cheaply. :P
    wowwww teach me your ways.

SS01

#PoC Collab
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    wowwww teach me your ways.
    Cubana and Aeroflot are probably the cheapest airlines in the world. Obviously there are drawbacks - you're flying on a plane built in the 1960s in the Soviet Union, everything is only in Spanish or Russian, and you can forget amount a TV or anything like that - but hey, it gets you where you need to go. XD Sadly Cubana is barred from serving Americans :(

Years
  • I would've made a post-trip post (heh.), but I forgot so here it is:

I actually took out about $500 CAD in pesos for my trip to Mexico. Excluding accommodation (cuz that was expensive as ♥♥♥♥) I probably spent $200 on food, $60 on alcohol, $50 on taxis and transportation, $50 on souvenirs (and random stuff like a pair of shorts, pencils and paper and Mexican hair gel which is freaking awesome and oh so inexpensive). I lent my friend nearly $100 (in Canadian!) that I probably would have otherwise spent on alcohol >> nah jk. I'd spend most of the money on food, and not a lot on attractions x: I get a lot out of exploring a city on foot. Also, when you're in a place called not America, the government actually subsidizes historical attractions because history and culture matters. So there's plenty to see and do and eat at a low cost :P

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    It's been a little quiet here lately, so thought I should throw in a new topic. n_n" If you were given the chance to fly to any country of your choosing for free, which would be your pick? Why would you select this? What are some things that you would do here? How long would you plan to stay? If you were allowed to take one person with you, who would you go with?

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    If you were given the chance to fly to any country of your choosing for free, which would be your pick?

I'd probably pick Australia. Besides Antarctica, Africa and Australia are the only continents I haven't visited. And since I wouldn't be able to decide on just one country in Africa (I'd imagine you'd want to visit a lot of them on a visit to Africa), I'd pick Australia. I don't know much about what there is to do there to be honest, where to visit, etc., so I wouldn't know how long to stay. I hear a majority of the mainland is uninhabited, but I'd still imagine that there's a lot to do and see.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Slightly off-topic, but I'm heading to Florida for a week! Thought it was somewhat relevant since this is a travel club haha. Haven't spent much time there beyond a day or so, so it should be fun. Definitely going to run us more than $500, but I imagine most trips do lol.

Unless you can try to come up with a budget, but it's most likely you might blow it anyways. xD HAVE FUN IN FLORIDA. I know it's gonna be so amazing in terms of weather.

I would've made a post-trip post (heh.), but I forgot so here it is:

I actually took out about $500 CAD in pesos for my trip to Mexico. Excluding accommodation (cuz that was expensive as ♥♥♥♥) I probably spent $200 on food, $60 on alcohol, $50 on taxis and transportation, $50 on souvenirs (and random stuff like a pair of shorts, pencils and paper and Mexican hair gel which is freaking awesome and oh so inexpensive). I lent my friend nearly $100 (in Canadian!) that I probably would have otherwise spent on alcohol >> nah jk. I'd spend most of the money on food, and not a lot on attractions x: I get a lot out of exploring a city on foot. Also, when you're in a place called not America, the government actually subsidizes historical attractions because history and culture matters. So there's plenty to see and do and eat at a low cost :P

Mexican hair gel is the shiz man. Even I use it, I must admit! And that was generous of you to lend your friend $100 for them to spend on anything. You might have made their trip 20% awesomeness. I'm so glad you had a muy excelente time over there, John!

It's been a little quiet here lately, so thought I should throw in a new topic. n_n" If you were given the chance to fly to any country of your choosing for free, which would be your pick? Why would you select this? What are some things that you would do here? How long would you plan to stay? If you were allowed to take one person with you, who would you go with?

Thanks, Ashley!

oh dang, i love these "all expenses paid" trips. I just.... hnnggg.

If anything I'd give Japan a try, just to see what it's like. I could take my cousin over to check out the culture and atmosphere that Japan has. Japan is almost an 18 hour flight or so, and it costs more than $2000 for round trip, so I'll take that! :D

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Personally, I've always wanted to visit England; London, to be specific. One of my friends had visited that place before, and according to her, it's a very beautiful location and has people of many cultures. Should be fun to see what it's like living over there, haha. Aside from that, Japan would be a good option, too, and also Singapore.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • Better late than never, right?
    let's say you have $ 500.- (US Dollars) to spend on a trip. how'd you plan your trip?
    Well I'd go somewhere within driving distance like Detroit or Chicago so I would have enough money for a decent hotel. I'd use the leftover money for food and excursions. Everything at that point depends on the location I'm at.
    If you were given the chance to fly to any country of your choosing for free, which would be your pick?
    Greece. I would say Italy but it's more expensive to fly to Greece so saving more money ftw. I'd land in Athens and eventually take a ferry to Santorini or Mykonos (although Mykonos might have an airport). Really any of the islands would be fine with me :3 I'd use the thousands of dollars that I saved from the free flights to stay at a really nice resort for a week (which would cost ~€2.500/$3,000).

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • ^$500 + all the money you saved = smart traveler imo. xD

So, my dad just left this morning on a business trip to Louisville, Kentucky. He's been traveling a lot ever since he landed that District Manager job, so he's been traveling frequently out of state. I'm really glad that the company he works for pays him everything he spends, like food, personal items, and equipment he needs in order for him to work. I stayed up with him till 3 am this morning because he was stressing out on where he needed to go and who he needs to meet. I mean, he's already been to Louisville before, don't know why he needs to freak out. xD

He already learned the lesson to "prepare" before going to travel. He's running on 2 hours of sleep. xD

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • He already learned the lesson to "prepare" before going to travel. He's running on 2 hours of sleep. xD

Did he travel via plane? Because imo the less sleep you get before a flight, the easier it is to sleep during the process. Unless you're flying over places you've never been before, like when I flew over the Grand Canyon a couple years ago. It was cool seeing it from an aerial point of view.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Did he travel via plane? Because imo the less sleep you get before a flight, the easier it is to sleep during the process. Unless you're flying over places you've never been before, like when I flew over the Grand Canyon a couple years ago. It was cool seeing it from an aerial point of view.

Yes he did! He did say that he slept for quite a bit on flight but he had to land in Denver for a flight change. He's going back next month, actually. I already ordered a map online. xD

He did fly over the Rocky Mountains at one point and the view from above was breathtaking.

Back