• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Boo! Wahahaha~

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    Here comes sort of.. discussiony-based pokemon discussion, just for fun. :3

Do you think ghost pokemon are real ghosts, or just living things with ghost like characteristics? Like for instance, do you believe that ghost pokemon resemble the "souls and spirits" of people or pokemon, or just pokemon possessing ghost-like characteristics?

Feel free to share your thoughts. o:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Some of them probably are spirits of people and Pokemon. Yamask's Pokedex entries say things like "These Pokémon arose from the spirits of people interred in graves. Each retains memories of its former life." Spiritomb is supposedly an aggregation of 108 spirits. Bannettes are forgotten toys possessed by a vengeful spirit.

But idk if they're all like that. Giratina and the Gastly line feel more to me like things with ghostly characteristics than being actual ghosts.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I prefer to think of ghost pokemon as pokemon, living born and dying creatures, with some ghost-like features. The original ghosts were part poison and were more like very sneaky gas clouds. Then came wizard-like Misdreavus and gem-eating Sableye etc. The first really spirit/soul-creepy ghost pokemon are Shuppet and Duskull in Gen 3, and it even gets worse in later generations imo. If not Dusknoir is the creepiest thing ever xD

But yeah, there are a lot of strange things in the pokedex entries. If all of it was true, the pokemon world wouldn't really function. So no, I'd like to think it's just stories.

Years
    If there's a Pokémon that I think isn't really a ghost, it'd probably be Shuppet. Maybe there is a ghost inside of it, but just the entire design of it throws me off; it kinda looks like a blanket floating in mid air rather than a ghost.

Twisted Cuteness

Always a team
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Apr 24, 2016
    I think it's a mix if both, because pokedex entries have said some are made from passed away Pokémon/objects as well as there being ghost Pokémon bread for everyday use

ChikoritaCheezits

The Green Leaf triumphs over all
    Years
    I always wondered if people die and turn into ghost Pokemon. It's kind of weird that you can hatch a ghost out of an egg. That implies that they have always been dead. In the games, Cubone's dead mother was just a ghost though so I think they're just living things with ghost-like features.

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2014
    I suppose i could see the people to ghost pokemon as a possibility. Even though i've thought of ghost pokemon as just their own type of pokemon, and would go through everything a normal pokemon would. Then there's also the thought that pokemon could turn into ghost pokemon when they die i.e. Dead Marowak from Gen. 1 I'm not so sure what I think though. At this point Id just call myself indefinite.

Back