• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can you catch your favorite Pokémon in the Alola region?

Years
  • I'm upset but not really surprised I can't catch my favourite Pokemon in Alola, Zoruas are pretty rare after all. Despite that, there's loads more Pokemon that I really like in the Alolan Regional Dex so it shouldn't be too bad :)

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2018
    No the Gardevoir line isn't in the regional dex, but that's fine as I'm transferring one over anyway. Also there's Popplio's line which is becoming my favorite starter line and Bounsweet line which is competing for favorite grass line.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Honestly a bit disappointed by the leaks. And no Mudkip :(
    At least there's Cutiefly and Ledian :/

Migit78

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • The dex seems a bit small for my liking, but oh well.
    I'm looking forward to using the Gen 7 mons anyway and they gave me the Lucario and Snorlax lines, so no complaints there.

Most dissappointing thing on this dex reveal was that they'd leaked like 95% of the new mons already anyways, I was really hoping for a much larger dex with how much nintendo had been willing to reveal.

And on that, Alola variations are great, but why only Kanto pokemon? I mean Johto is literally attached to Kanto, no Johto mons made it to Alola and changed with the climate?
    Leave the other regions out if you have too, but I feel Johto shouldve gotten more love.

But maybe im biased, I have been playing since the release of Red and Blue, but Gen 2 and there remakes are still my faviourite games

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    These might not be the actual numbers but here's what the Melemele Dex is looking like:
    Spoiler:

Unfortunately that's only half of my planned team (Raichu, Lycanroc, Popplio final evo) for this first island, so I may have to use random previous-gen Pokemon as fillers until the later islands.

Do you think we'll get Lapras surf before leaving the first island? The only new Pokemon I'm really interested in using here is the "Crown of Thorns" Pokemon (well maybe Crabrawler too) and it's probably only accessible by surfing...

I feel like it's possible we'll get Lapras surf early since the Sharpedo one seems like more of a late game thing since it can break rocks.

In a way it seems kinda crazy to me that Rufflet and Vullaby are available so early, I remember them being REALLY late in the game back in gen 5. Too bad I'm picking Rowlet I guess.

MKC

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2023
    Surprisingly many of my favourites are there, I can't believe Klefki made it considering how little 6th gen Pokemon are there, I hope you can find them early in game.

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
  • A lot of my faves are missing, which is a good thing because I never repeat Pokemon that were in another region's party. So Im encouraged to try new ones or use old Pokemon I could never fit into my other teams. One that I am thankful is in the game is Garbodor. In the last few years I have grown to absolutely love it but refused to sacrifice the Poison type I had in my Unova team (Scolipede), so I can finally add him to my crew. =)

Florges

The Garden Pokémon
    Years
  • THERE'S MY BOY WHIMSICOTT

Plus, Clefairy is available. I plan on using it in Moon. I don't plan on using Whimsicott since I plan on using Rowlet3, Tsareena, and Lurantis.

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    Going by that datamined list, currently, no.

But my favorite Pokémon is a starter (Swampert, to be exact), so I'm kind of used to it by now. :(

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • In a video I've watched about them being interviewed-- They said that only Kanto Pokemon were given Alolan forms because they're more recognised amongst the older generation of Pokemon players than the other generations. Probably their way to try pulling back the oldest generation to play Pokemon again. That being said, my friends all expressed interests in Pokemon again ever since I'd been posting on Sun and Moon on Facebook. I guess it does help, afterall my generation was the one whom grew up with Kanto!

Solar Snivy

#TeamRowlet
    Years
  • Sadly, my absolute favorite pokemon never had a chance, being a starter pokemon.

However, I do like Pichu, Phantump, and Shellos. The latter two don't matter though, as I'm planning on using exclusively new pokemon anyway, but Pichu will make it on the team because of Alolan Raichu.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    Well they completely shunned Oddish so no Vileplume, and Ninetales got an Alola form which is pretty rare, though regular Ninetales is my favorite Pokemon and it's only available by trading as well.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • Love that Scizor is in. Disappointed that Hydreigon didn't make it, being the only pseudo-legendary not shown any love. At least Tyranitar has a Mega Evo.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I found this picture on 4chan and uploaded it to imgur. It lists Pokemon by the island they first appear on. I've found it handy to get an idea of what I might want to catch.

https://imgur.com/a/zLK7q#DZslJIK

Yellow is Melemele island, pink is Akala, red is the bottom right (3rd island) and purple is the leftmost region with the Pokemon boats.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I found this picture on 4chan and uploaded it to imgur. It lists Pokemon by the island they first appear on. I've found it handy to get an idea of what I might want to catch.

Yellow is Melemele island, pink is Akala, red is the bottom right (3rd island) and purple is the leftmost region with the Pokemon boats.

Seems like a pretty even distribution. Majority of my planned team can be caught on the second island which I'm happy with. There's also a text breakdown of the Pokémon for each island here.

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
  • All my top favourites are there, yes! Ninetales, Vaporeon & Whimsicott.

If only Houndour/Houndoom was available too, everything would be perfect.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    I found this picture on 4chan and uploaded it to imgur. It lists Pokemon by the island they first appear on. I've found it handy to get an idea of what I might want to catch.

This looks weird, why has the smallest island the most Pokémon? And the most frustrating is that the Pokémons that I want to capture and put in my team are on the third island.

Back