• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Changes to the Bag

#isthenumbersign
Years
  • I noticed some subtle changes to the bag that didn't really affect the game much, but were interesting nonetheless.

The first thing was the Free Space. I had no idea what it was at first, I was sending stuff to Free Space and like freaking out when I couldn't find them.

One of the other things I noticed was the tms and hms. They weren't automatically organized, which I'm not actually sure if this was introduced in this game btw, but it was pretty annoying. I mean I could just organize them myself, but I was so used to having them all in order.

So what are your thoughts on the new bag?

Sirfetch’d

Yeah, I am not too crazy about the new bag. It was fine as it was. I don't understand the Tms not automatically organizing, that was weird, but all of the awesome other features make this slipup seem like nada.

Crescend

Breeder
    Years
  • Yeh I do wish I could set stuff to automatically organize itself, but the free space pocket is Brilliant. I moved repels, fresh water, and casteliacones in there, registered the bag and now I can access all of the items I use on regular basis fast without scrolling past all the other useless items.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I agree that TMs not instantly organizing is kind of irritating, but I think having the option to organize them between number and name is great. I prefer them being in number order, but not everyone feels the same and options are better than no option.

I don't use the Free Space all too often but I have my Lucky Egg, Exp. Share, and Max Repels in there for easy access. I think it's actually a clever new feature and I hope to see it again.

Giovanni Boss

Team Rocket's Head
    Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2023
    I actually use free space the other way around. I keep there things I don't want to see while scrolling. Things like balls, which I'll access only during battles.

Years
  • I actually use free space the other way around. I keep there things I don't want to see while scrolling. Things like balls, which I'll access only during battles.

This. It makes life easier when I'm looking for like a held item or something. Overall I don't mind the new setup, the option to organise TM's is a bit of a waste since they're going to be organised anyway but other than that it's fine.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years
  • This. It makes life easier when I'm looking for like a held item or something. Overall I don't mind the new setup, the option to organise TM's is a bit of a waste since they're going to be organised anyway but other than that it's fine.

Dont see the need for Free space. I just moved the Plasma card over there

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I actually use free space the other way around. I keep there things I don't want to see while scrolling. Things like balls, which I'll access only during battles.

That's actually quite clever! When I boot up my game again I might try that, it actually seems like it would be a bit more helpful in some situations.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I haven't used he free space pocket at all through my journey. I actually don't mind scrolling through to find my important items, as it reminds me of items I could use (that I find while scrolling) in the future.

The bag as a whole was great, and I loved the fact that you could organise it based on a number of different options.

Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2013
    I haven't decided on how I wanted to use the free space. Either for junk or more important items. :x

Crescend's way sounded good, because I can just register the bag, but then again, I could clean the other bags by putting junk into the free-space that I don't use...

Years
  • I was wondering what the free space thing was about. seems useful to me I'll have to give it a try. Tm's not organizing that can be pretty annoying.

Years
  • I like the bag, actually! The TM/HMs not auto-organizing did confuse me, but it's nothing that's too hard to work around. The addition of the free space section was AWESOME though, I put all my useful items like repels there for quicker use. I don't use the stylus when playing Pokemon games so scrolling through the bag takes a bit longer by just holding down/up, so it's really convenient for me.

Years
  • Since I don't have the games yet, I had to rely on YouTube to see this.

The TM/HM's not being organized automatically might cause confusion but I do like to keep a lot of useful ones up first anyway. As for the free space in the bag, it might come in handy for storing Repels and items for selling to those item maniacs.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • The TMs not automatically organizing was kind of weird, I agree, but I actually kind of like the Free Space, though I had no idea what it was at first. I put the Super Repels, Revives, and Hyper Potions in there. :3 Very useful, I don't like sorting through the dump that the bag has become to find stuff.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    They had the right idea with giving us options on how to organize it (by type, by name) but they should have it auto-organized by type just to save us the hassle...

I do like Free Space though, I don't use it now but later on in the game I'm going to be using it for Lucky Egg, Exp. Share, and Max Repels, most likely.

LassLaura

Pikachu Ga Gotoku
    Years
  • I think the best addition is being able to register the bag (and Pokedex habitat list) for quick-select so I don't have to keep turning my Dowsing Machine back on. I think Black and White added that ability and I just overlooked it until now though. But yeah, putting newly acquired items and TMs at the bottom of the list instead of the top (or just auto-organizing them) gets on my nerves.

Syltti

Lilligant's Loving Trainer
    Years
  • The Free Space was a very nice addition. All my (Super/Max) Repels, Fresh Waters, Lemonades, Moomoo Milks, and basically anything that got stockpiled by fans or Join Avenue got tossed in there.

Quick access to items you use most; whoever thought of this is gets a hug from me~

Years
  • There were a few changes to the bag that I had to work around, but it wasn't too bad. I'm a very organized player so I always make sure my items are neat and tidy. I'm pretty OCD about it, and I love it!

I was so disappointed that the Pokéball pocket was missing this time and I actually started using the Free Space for my various Pokéball types, but soon decided it'd be better used for all my held items.

I actually didn't mind that the TM/HM pocket no longer organized itself, since I find my method much easier. I put the HMs at the top (in order of number) and the TMs are placed in alphabetical order. I find it much easier to find a certain TM when it's organized by name, rather than the TM's number.

I actually use letters as dividers to separate the items in the "Items" pocket, since they have the tab on the left. The "categories" I went with were Pokéball, evolutionary stones, shards (includes Heart Scales), all other items, battle items, and then my Repels and Escape Ropes at the very bottom.

I still think Diamond/Pearl/Platinum had the best bag, since almost everything had its own section!

Back