• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chase and Mr. Ratburn's Very Blue Adventure

Sirfetch’d

Hello friends! I have decided to do a run of Blue Version inspired by a challenge that I saw on YouTube. I am going to attempt to beat the game with just a Rattata. I am doing this as a journal instead of challenge logs because I am going to be playing at my own pace/rules and want to document things in more of a journal format. I anticipate this challenge to be extremely difficult but also extremely fun! The rules for this are very basic, I will only be using Rattata and cannot use my HM slaves in battle. If Rattata faints I must let them faint as well and black out. I will not be evolving my Rattata at any point in this run. And with that, let's get started.

Entry 1:

Our journey begins. I wake up, start my new adventure, and after some quick early game dialogue I finally obtain some Poke Balls and am able to catch the star of this run, Mr. Ratburn. He is extremely excited to join me in my adventure. After getting to know each other some more we head out for some much needed training. We have a big adventure ahead of us and we have to make sure we are ready for every challenge ahead.

Mr. Ratburn
Spr_1b_019.png

Lv: 3
- Tackle
- Tail Whip

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
ngl I have to wonder if it's even physically possible to beat the game with just a Rattata, but I guess we're going to find out

Sirfetch’d

Mr. Ratburn and I set out on our adventure! It didn't take much training until we were confident enough we could take on Viridian Forest. While we did have to backtrack some and heal off the occasional poison, it was really a breeze. Mr. Ratburn was just too powerful for the small bug Pokemon of the forest. After clearing out all of the trainers and grinding on whatever wild Pokemon we encountered, we decided to head back to Viridian City and head west towards the Pokemon League for a battle with our rival. Being a level higher it was not much of a challenge and we took him down with ease. It was now time to head to Pewter City. As we arrive the first thing we do is head to the gym. I knew we were not ready for Brock yet as we were only level 11 upon arrival but I figured we should at least battle the gym trainer for some quick exp. Turns out this was a mistake. His Diglett posed no problems but his Sandshrew managed to get off about 4 Sand Attacks on Mr. Ratburn and he just could not land an attack. I didn't want to waste the few Potions I had so we accepted defeat and tried again. The second battle went much better and we won. I knew we still were not ready for Brock though and headed back to Viridian Forest for some more training.

It was now time for Brock. After grinding for about 20 or so minutes Mr. Ratburn had reached level 14, the same level as Brock's Onix, and we felt it was time to give it a shot. I fully expected this to go pretty badly considering we only knew Normal typed attacks but this battle was....a breeze! His Geodude caused the most problems by spamming Defense Curl and forcing us to use what seemed like 20 attacks just to take it down. The Onix however was very easy to defeat. He continued to make Onix use Bide and we would just stall that out with Tail Whip and attack with Hyper Fang when we could. We got out of this battle only using one Potion and that was incredibly surprising. One of our biggest hurdles in the game is now behind us. Mr. Ratburn and I are the proud owners of the Boulder Badge!

Mr. Ratburn
Spr_1b_019.png

Lv. 14
- Tackle
- Tail Whip
- Quick Attack
- Hyper Fang

Last edited:
Years
As someone who successfully finished No Faint Solo Rattata run on Fire Red I approve this run!

I only fear that you will have to do a lot of planning for E4. Agatha will be immune to your STAB moves and Bruno will be pain to get through. If it helps, my final moveset was Return, Shadow Ball, Dig and Ice Beam, but since Rattata can't learn most of these moves in Blue and after checking what it can learn, I suggest Double-Edge, Thunderbolt/Thunder, Blizzard and Quick Attack/Mimic/Double Team/Dig for E4 moveset.

Also move this to Challenges, I need new blood there.

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

Update time!

After taking down Brock we begin our trek to Cerulean City. First thing in our way? Mt. Moon. The journey to Mt. Moon was largely uneventful. We battled about 7 or so trainers looking for a fight but they were no match for Mr. Ratburn. We defeated all of them with relative ease and gained quite a lot of experience doing so! Once we arrived at Mt. Moon we explored a bit and found a TM for Water Gun. While not a great move it certainly came in handy for all of the Hikers ahead. We made our way through the cave rather quickly and arrived in Cerulean. Before we took on Misty we beat our rival, took down Nugget Bridge, and helped Bill at the Cape. This all provided some much needed training before we took on Misty. Once we healed up we arrived at her gym and took it down...super quick. It turns out Hyper Fang is still incredibly powerful for this point in the game. While her Starmie was bulky enough to survive a hit, we managed to live a Bubblebeam and take it down the next turn. We now have the Cascade badge!

Mr. Ratburn
Spr_1b_019.png

Lv. 27
- Hyper Fang
- Tail Whip
- Bubblebeam
- Quick Attack

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
i don't have any experience soloing a rattata, but i did have a while in yellow where all i had was rattata/raticate and he was a very good boy. you'll be missing that stat boost from evolving, but rattata is still a Force. he will Do This. i have faith.

Sirfetch’d

After leaving Misty's gym we had our eyes set on the next stop, Vermilion City. The trip to Vermilion was rather short and uninteresting. We beat all of the trainers for some quick exp and the only thing of note was catching a Bellsprout to use Cut for us later. After arriving in Vermilion City we checked out what the city had to offer and got a free Bike Voucher! We made our way to the route east of the town and took out some more trainers there before heading to the S.S. Anne. Once we finished training up we then boarded the ship and earned ourselves the HM for Cut! We could now take on Lt. Surge.

We arrive at the gym and solved his trash puzzle easily. Lt. Surge himself was also pretty easy considering we picked up the TM for Dig earlier. We sweep his team with rather ease and obtain our 3rd badge!

Mr. Ratburn
Spr_1b_019.png

Lv. 35
- Body Slam
- Dig
- Bubblebeam
- Thunderbolt

Sirfetch’d

There is not really a whole lot to say in this entry. After we left the gym in Vermilion City we quickly captured some more Pokemon to get our Pokedex up to 10 captures so we could grab the HM for Flash to make navigating Rock Tunnel much easier. We did that and then headed east from Cerulean to the cave. After a very long trek through Rock Tunnel we arrived in Lavender Town. Since we don't have the Silph Scope we decided not to explore the Pokemon Tower just yet and instead headed to Celadon City. Once we arrived we headed straight for the gym and took down Erika for our 4th badge!

Mr. Ratburn
Spr_1b_019.png

Lv. 42
- Body Slam
- Dig
- Bubblebeam
- Thunderbolt

Sirfetch’d

There is wayyyyy too much to report since the last entry to type out as usual so I am going to list it all with bullet points!
  • Went to the Celadon Game Corner and took out Team Rocket to get the Silph Scope.
  • Took out Team Rocket at the Pokemon Tower and saved Mr. Fuji and got the Poke Flute.
  • Headed down Cycling Road to Fuschia City.
  • Beat Koga.
  • Explored the Safari Zone to get the Gold Teeth and Surf HM.
  • Went to Saffron City and put a stop to Team Rocket one last time.
  • Defeated Sabrina and the Fighting Dojo.
  • Went to Cinnabar Island and defeated Blaine.
  • Flew back to Viridian City and defeated Giovanni to get our last badge.
  • Took down our rival before Victory Road.
  • Trained in Victory Road and used all of the Rare Candies we found on our journey to power up Mr. Ratburn a bit more before the league.

In short, Mr. Ratburn and I powered through the rest of the story and now we are about to take on the league! The only bit of trouble we had was our rival battle at Silph Co. in Saffron City.

Mr. Ratburn
Spr_1b_019.png

Lv. 77
- Body Slam
- Dig
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt

Sirfetch’d

Spoiler:

We did it! The league was actually a breeze, aside from our rival, with how over leveled we were. Mr. Ratburn is now a Champion. Good job, Mr. Ratburn!

Mr. Ratburn
Spr_1b_019.png

Lv. 80
- Body Slam
- Dig
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday