• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

cheating, glitches, and you

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
    have you ever cheated (ie, gameshark, action replay, etc) or tried to exploit glitches in any game? What did you use them for?

I remember as a kid I borrowed an AR from my friend and managed to acquire approximately a trillion Bad Eggs. I was a dumb kid. Also lately I've been slowly getting into Pokémon RB speedrunning, which takes advantage of the fact that those games are glitchy as all hell.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    Nawp. Firstly it doesn't feel right to cheat, and I have no idea how the hacking/glitches thing works. And I don't want to know.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
    I only used them to get the event-exclusive Pokémon after I got back into the series in generations 3, 4 and 5.
    Now that there is a distribution of the event-exclusive Pokémon for the 20th anniversary, I don't have a reason to use it anymore.

I otherwise completed the Pokédex all fair and square, it just didn't feel right to be congratulated by the regional professor while having an obviously incomplete Dex.

Never used any cheating devices for breeding Pokémon for online battles, though.

Years
    Okay I've only ever cheated once during my entire time with Pokemon. I used my cousin's action replay to go to and capture Shaymin but in Gen 4, I wish I was clean but it was worth it haha.

Years
    I tried out some cheats on Pokemon soulsilver and pokemon platnium Erased my progress afterwards though.

I have used some cheats in gen 1 like the old man glitch and the mew glitch and got to the infamous glitch city.

Last edited:

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
    I have used some cheats in gen 1 like the old man glitch and the mew glitch and got to the infamous glitch city.
    Cool! ^__^ I've never been to glitch city but that's on the list of things I want to try out. Messing with Red and Blue is so fun, it's been consuming an increasing amount of my time lately.

Years
    Cool! ^__^ I've never been to glitch city but that's on the list of things I want to try out. Messing with Red and Blue is so fun, it's been consuming an increasing amount of my time lately.

Yea haha i havent really had enough time to try out that much glitches myself
    I acually dont know which one i should try out next Maybe the fight Professor Oak glitch

It's so hard to choose from them all!

So many glitches to try out and so little time.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Mostly obtain all recovery items, berries and TMS/HMS as well get infinite PP to avoid powerful move from unusable as well walkthrough codes.. good times

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
    Reminds me, I played through half of HeartGold with Infinite TMs + "all Pokémon can learn any TM" a few months ago. It was super interesting, really made it easy to plan out an interesting team with diversified movesets. I tried to avoid the super-overpowered TMs and instead focus on making an interesting team. I'll post the team+movesets if I can ever find that save file (played on an emulator so it's sitting somewhere on my laptop)

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    Like I said in my first post I never cheat and I don't like the idea of it. It doesn't feel right honestly. The closest thing I've ever done is trading hard-to-obtain TMs to my HGSS nuzruns(e.g. The elemental beams, cause VF too hard!), or stuff similar to that. That's only so that my mons can get a usable moveset, so I don't know if that counts as cheating. But I've never done glitch-cheating.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I've never used a cheating device, though I'll admit that I grabbed some missing event Pokemon off Pokecheck before wifi went down for the gen V games. I've exploited some glitches, though I tend to try to avoid any of the potentially dangerous ones. I remember finding out about the Missingno glitch and showing it to some friends, but I quickly began to feel guilty about all of my newfound rare candies and master balls, and nervous about the effects that glitches could have on my game (especially after a friend had his game corrupted). I tried the Mew glitch once in RBY, but the game in question stopped working at all shortly after I used it (would freeze whenever you talked to anyone or loaded any text box), and I tried to avoid glitching for a while. I did end up caving and doing the Mew glitch on my eshop RBY games, though, with no consequences thus far.

I did a lot of RNG exploitation back in gen IV, and a little bit in V, but I don't really consider that to be cheating. Now that breeding is so much easier, I don't need to do that anymore, though.

I suspect my 6 IV Ditto is hacked (so in that sense, I'm cheating in the origin of my Pokemon), but as I can't prove that it's hacked (I got it in a trade), I don't worry about it.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
    I used to cheat a lot when I was younger. Never on multiplayer, though. I don't think utilizing glitches is cheating, but I really only use the Missingno. glitch for Rare Candies. I think cheating for events is fine. Not everyone lives near a GameStop. I really don't have a problem with cheating as long as it's in single player. I do think cheating is really unfair in multiplayer, though. Seriously, if you're gonna cheat, keep it to single player only!

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    oh my lord. i abused the missingno glitch in Red so many times. the only reason I've used an action replay/gameshark was to get all the tms. other then that, I didn't see a need.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
    I used to have a GameShark. I remember using it to get Celebi in Silver and change the species of the Red Gyarados (since I didn't have a Wild Shiny Pokémon code). I also used it to teach my Pikachu Surf in Yellow so I could play the mini-game. In Red Version, I used it to change some of my Pokémon into other Pokémon (like a Snorlax into Moltres), but they mysteriously reverted back into the old Pokémon after using them in Pokémon Stadium (resulting in weird move-sets, like a Snorlax with Fly). I also used the Battle Prof. Oak code, but I didn't talk to the right Trainer and it ultimately corrupted my GameShark.

In middle school, I borrowed an Action Replay from a friend to get Jirachi and Deoxys. I eventually got an AR of my own, but I honestly can't remember what I used it for other than accessing islands that required tickets (Birth Island, Navel Island, etc.), changing my player's name, and making some fan-made events for websites and holidays (like Thanksgiving Farfetch'd).

I got an Action Replay DS sometime in highschool, but all I can remember doing with it is cloning my Pokémon, getting to the event-exclusive areas (like Newmoon Island), and making a few fan-made events. I haven't used it on any games since Pearl and finally gave it away earlier this year.

As for glitches, I've exploited nearly all of them in the GB/GBC games. The infamous MissingNo. was the whole reason I got Red Version (I started with Silver). I also did the Mew Glitch to get Mew and a few others that normally couldn't be caught (including some other glitch Pokémon like LM4), but most of the glitches were just for fun/curiosity.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    One I did forget about was the cloning glitch in Emerald. I was the only one who knew how to do it so all my friends had me clone their Pokémon lmfao

Back