• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Colour and color

What spelling standard do you use?

• The British Way.

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • The American Way.

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • The Canadian Way. A mixture of BOTH the British and the American Way.

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • I don't even know anymore.

Votes: 4 6.8%

• Total voters
    Years
    I spell it as color. Not only because I was taught to do so, but because it's how it should be spelled on papers here in the states. It sucks that it has to be spelled different than the rest of the world, but that's just how it is here.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    As an American, I spell it color. When I heard the British spelt it colour the first time, I thought it looked silly. Now I think colour looks neater. And yet we all have to spell it differently which I never got.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Since I live in America at the moment, I spell words the American way. So color, not colour. :p

Years
    Colour, since I'm from England. I still don't get how the difference originated... just one of those quirks of the English language, or something.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I use both spellings depending on the person that I'm typing to. Mostly, I do use the spelling "Color" though.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Being that I'm an American, I'm used to the American spellings.

Never really knew there were British spellings until I was already in high school. XD

Sirfetch’d

Well I am Amurrican so I say color! That said, I've been around enough people here who spell it colour that I almost do it myself now ;-;

Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2014
    I use color more often than colour. The other day our teacher wrote colour on the whiteboard and took some seconds to understand what it meant xD

Demon Wolf

American Wolf
    Years
    I spell it color its because im American n proud to support my country even though the government lately I disagree with my government on some topics but still my country to live in :)

\/

Grey Cat
    Years
    First of all, color is a Latin word, not English.

The original Latin spelling is color, the French added a 'u', the British copied the French, Americans copied Latin. A lot of American government-related phrases and mottos are in Latin.

Years
    Now that I think about it, I spelt it 'colour', unless I'm quoting someone, a title of something, etc.

Years
    I've been living in Canada my entire life and I've grown up using the spelling that includes the 'u' S: The only time I use 'color' is while writing CSS.

Years
    The Canadian way, for obvious reasons. And I honestly have no preference either, since I'll write or type it color/colour at almost a 50-50 split. One thing I do notice though, is that if I'm conversing with an American, I'll use the American spelling more often than not, otherwise I'll use the British spelling for everyone else.

Nillemi

Under my Rock
    Years
    Color
    Because 'Murica

First of all, color is a Latin word, not English.

The original Latin spelling is color, the French added a 'u', the British copied the French, Americans copied Latin. A lot of American government-related phrases and mottos are in Latin.
    Huh... I didn't know this.
    TAKE THAT REDCOATS! WE'RE THE SMARTER LANGUAGE!

Years
    I spell it color, but I don't have any objections to it being spelt colour. I actually think it looks slightly better that way.

Evanlyn

Kidneys! I've got new kidneys!
    Years
    I live in Australia where we use the British spelling, so yeah, that's what I've grown up using.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    As a Spaniard, I was taught British spelling/words because the UK is 1h30m away from my country instead of 17 hours by aeroplane :P

I'll be okay with your spelling as long as you don't tell me to take away my u's. Then I'll rage. A lot.

Back