• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive Gaming

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
Years
  • From the likes of LoL, Dota, Call of Duty, Street Fighter and Smash Bros. and many more, quite a selection of the worlds most popular games are played competitively for the chance to win big sums of prize money by competing in tournaments. If you' follow any of the games mentioned about there's no doubt you've come across the competitive scene.

Are you a follower of the competitive scene in any of the games you've played before? Do you watch tournaments online? Maybe even play competitively among your friends? Do you think esports as whole could be comparable to 'real' sports?

Years
  • I only watch competitive Melee, partly because I love watching it and partly because of the personalities that play it. I tried watching some other stuff but I just don't care enough to stay interested. I'll watch the large tournaments, like The Big House 5 recently and Smash Summit that'll be coming up.

Years
  • Actually, I've almost gotten into a competitive tournament for both Halo 4 and CoD Black Ops 2 (never play this game unless you accept any and all tournaments that they offer). But due to me not being 18 and my parents declining me the right to go into the tournament, I had to decline. xD

I don't really follow any competitive scenes, but I am interested in joining one, should I get the offer again.

Mainly I am hoping to get an offer for Halo 5. When it comes out I'm going to be spending A LOT of time on it mastering my skills. xD Hoping to keep a 3.0 K/D ratio the entire time through. Heck, I'd also do Star Wars Battlefront if I can, but that's not my top priority.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I play Pokemon competitively, that's about it.

I love watching Street Fighter matches. It's a spectacle.

TY

I play Destiny competitively, used to play StarCraft II on a competitive level.

I still watch competitive StarCraft since I'd like to get back into it one day... (and not be stuck in a low league)

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Regarding the last bit, sports are sports. A think of football as no less of a sport than video games (as a whole) or Chess. No more, either. So, naturally, I think of esports much the same way. And on the same note, I consider esports no more or less sports than average gaming.

But I'm not really into the competitive scene. It's not that I don't inherently like it, but as a player, I'm not really competitive. Losses don't sting and winning was more about the fun during than anything else, but I always enjoy a challenge so it's more about achieving goals to me than winning or losing. In other words, I don't care about the outcome, I care about what I get out of the experience. It's why I do most things video game, after all, and is largely why I don't just pick up and play competitive multiplayer games. Osu is a good example of this, since my goal is to "get better" and not to "be the best", because I don't play to stand atop the other players, it's because I enjoy the thrill of the challenge that the songs present (among other things).

And as a spectator, jumping back to esports, it's just not enough of a varied experience. A friend of mine, some time ago, said that he didn't like Osu! that much because it was too "repetitive", which I found odd considering he was massively into MOBAs, a genre that, currently, is very static thanks to its meta (though it ripples with developer updates). And those are the games that are big in esports. Some FPS as well, but I need to see the scene get more experimental.

Rocket League is an example of a game I'm glad is popular because it's, by nature, dynamic. Because of this and the fact that, visually, it's a very reactive, on-the-nose experience, it's fun to watch and fun to play. That's the type of dynamic I like to see. Hell, I'd even say strategy games (some of which are very popular in this scene) are dynamic as well in that despite being similar to MOBAs in various regards, they're far more reactive. That's what I like, that excitement. The uncertainty of who will win or what someone will do, and those involved having the avenues to make several logical, efficient choices while also maintaining synergy with their team (assuming it's a team-based game). And it doesn't always have to be static. Osu and other rhythm games (and hell, speedruns, various score-based games, etc.) have you striving for perfection, but what makes these exciting is that the stakes increase as the game goes on, and failure is always a step away.

There's a lot more I could say about this. I haven't touched competitive card video games, Fighters (which are textbook examples of the whole "several logical, efficient choices" deal), and yada yada, but I don't want to text wall this thread anymore than I already have, so that's my piece.

Lord Scalgon

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
    Years
  • Games I used to be competitive in:
    • Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (80% win record...sadly this account's been dead for a good 6 years)
    • StarCraft II (original, was once top 60 in Americas region and top 200 in the world in 2v2 arranged; still wearing the Team Top 8 Master achievement to this day, the most prestigious icon for team matches thus far...I was never competitive in Heart of the Swarm due to lack of motivation)
    • If card games count, Yu-Gi-Oh (I just don't like this format at all...don't even get me started on dragon rulers or TeleDAD)
    I still compete in Clash of Clans, though. Even though the grand spotlight is taking place in Helsinki soon, sadly I'm not attending since I'm in the US region...

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I used to play a lot of LoL, although I wouldn't say I was competitive at it. I still casually follow the competitive scene, and I think it's really entertaining. There's always something going on and unlike sports where it's 40% team huddles, 50% commercials, and 10% actual playing.

After doing some research into the daily lives of some competitive gamers, I have to say they're practically athletes. They practice 8-12 hours a day, live together as a team, and professional teams have to have a coach. That sounds like a sports team to me, and given the popularity of esports and how they're continuing to rise, it's getting harder and harder to argue otherwise.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Sports demand way more than video games. They require phsyical exertion. To assert that playing and practicing street fighter is as demanding as boxing, mentally and physically, is absurd.

And this is coming from a street fighter player AND a boxer. By definition, sports require physical exertion, and video games only exercise your fingers, so they're not sports. And please, god, don't call pro video game players athletes. I admire competitive gaming and I follow it more than sports, but that's ridiculous. Pro game players don't have to go through half of what actual athletes do.

Last edited:

天 (Caine)

Flower Child
    Years
  • Sports demand way more than video games. They require phsyical exertion. To assert that playing and practicing street fighter is as demanding as boxing, mentally and physically, is absurd.

And this is coming from a street fighter player AND a boxer. By definition, sports require physical exertion, and video games only exercise your fingers, so they're not sports. And please, god, don't call pro video game players athletes. I admire competitive gaming and I follow it more than sports, but that's ridiculous. Pro game players don't have to go through half of what actual athletes do.

I agree with you to an extent, but video games, especially fighting and RTS games, do require a fair bit of skill and you do have to practice for hours at a time if you want to be able to hold your own against other players. From one Street Fighter player to another, you have to spend a good amount of time in training mode to work on your reaction time and to land the advanced "one frame" links and combos, and that's not even mentioning the purchase of a fight stick. I may be misunderstanding your post, but to make a broad claim that competitive activities that rely in intelligence aren't sports is a bit unfair. I'm not saying that Guilty Gear should be an Olympic sport, but to say that a game like chess isn't a sport because you aren't beating the other player with the chessboard is really unfair.

As far as competitive gaming goes, I rarely play online unless it's a game that I want invest time into. I'm horrible with FPS games but I do reasonably well with fighting games like Street Fighter IV. I was never able to get above a "C" rank and I'd be devastated in a tournament, but it's still fun.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I didn't say any of that, all I said was that video games don't exercise your body.

Which is a big factor.

Years
  • Pro game players don't have to go through half of what actual athletes do.

Albeit I haven't been a spectator of the eSports genre for very long considering I only started seriously playing League 3-4 months ago, I can attest to your opinion about not having the same physical exertion as athletes do, but I wouldn't doubt that pro gamers spend copious amounts of time into becoming better. In either case, it takes a great deal of mental strength to continue doing what you enjoy regardless of the results.

Back on topic, I've only started following the competitive scene this past summer, starting with the League World Championships this month.

Back