• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: [COMPLETE][pokefirered] Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen+

Days
Ok I surely doing something pretty wrong, I don't have experience on modifying roms so I don't know shit, I downloaded the archives on github and they seem to be the rom completely dismantled, you don't have just an ''donwload and emulate'' archive to make it available here?

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Oct 29, 2023
Hello,

Great enhancement hack. Loving it so far playing it for YouTube. I was just wondering if Altering Cave works in the base build of your game. I did see on github a patch to get Altering Cave to randomly generate the specific Pokemon each time you enter and exit, but I was wondering if you put in a way to get Altering Cave to work yourself. The Pokemon caught from that patch previously mentioned are "illegal" when checked in PkHex.

Also, what are the level caps for the Elite 4 and Champion rematches? I am currently doing a Nuzlocke and want to take on the final rematches fairly (after just getting Lorelei to go back from Four Island in the postgame).

Thanks. Gotta say again, loving the game. You did an amazing job!

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jun 11, 2023
Hi is there a way to randomize this game? if not are you planning to add a randomizer option or something

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024
how about translating japanese only e reader battles in later version since some battle cards weren't localised outside japan

Days
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 14, 2023
Skimmed and tried searching the thread for answers to this, but can I not get TM10 Hidden Power through pickup anymore? Documentation doesnt seem to mention a difference in way of obtaining HP, ive been grinding with meowths for hours and im wondering if the EV down berries replaced the TM10 rates? Is it just bad luck?

PerceptioN95

ポケモントレーナ とみい
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 11, 2023
This hack seems good, but I have a few issues and this is just my opinion, OP can do whatever he likes.

- no physical/special split
- little to no battle upgrades / updated battle mechanics or learnsets
- only 386 pokemon and not all 386 pokemon are available in a single playthrough and some are locked behind trades? (who even trades via emulators)

The features that are there are nice but romhacking didn't come this far to have these issues in 2023 lol.

Years
This hack seems good, but I have a few issues and this is just my opinion, OP can do whatever he likes.

- only 386 pokemon and not all 386 pokemon are available in a single playthrough and some are locked behind trades? (who even trades via emulators)

The features that are there are nice but romhacking didn't come this far to have these issues in 2023 lol.

Bro, this hack aim to be an improvement hack maintaining maximum compatibility with official games. People still play these games on real hardware or like to have similar experiences even on emulators.

If this has any modern system implemented to the battle system for example, it would ruin compatibility, if u want games that change the entire game, or that adds mechanics from later gens, this, Throwback, Heliodor, Revelation and some other improvement hacks are definitely not for you. It's not that the author didn't wanted to add modern stuff, it's just that's out of the scope of this hack

Besides, the key system he implemented is only possible due to the modern hacking methods unlike the older binary hacking method.

Years
  • Age 67
  • Seen Jan 25, 2024

Imagine not having reading comprehension in 2023 lol.

PerceptioN95

ポケモントレーナ とみい
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 11, 2023
just my opinion though, no need to get defensive, don't like it, ignore it, it's directed at the OP anyways.

Days
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 3, 2023
Hey, wondering if anyone else has had issues compiling with Windows 10 and WSL1 - I can compile pret's pokefirered no problems with my current set up, but with this I'm getting some errors apparently with the berry fix? If anyone has time to check it out and point me to somewhere I might have issues in my set up, please let me know.

The following errors:
Code:
/bin/bash: arm-none-eabi-cpp: command not found
make[2]: *** [Makefile:151: build/src/agb_flash_1m.o] Error 127
/bin/bash: arm-none-eabi-cpp: command not found
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[2]: *** [Makefile:151: build/src/agb_flash_mx.o] Error 127
make[2]: *** [Makefile:151: build/src/siirtc.o] Error 127
make[2]: *** [Makefile:151: build/src/flash.o] Error 127
make[1]: *** [Makefile:169: payload] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:272: berry_fix] Error 2

Really looking forward to playing this!

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Dec 25, 2023
Hey I'm really digging the romhack! Great work! I was wondering if by any chance I you let me know what the Gym leader/Champion lv caps are in Challenge Mode? I've been trying to find somewhere that shows it in FAQ but I don't see it.

I hope you have a great day :)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 2, 2023
Hello deokishisu!

At the very beginning I wanted to say something that I haven't mentioned in this thread before. Thanks so much for the effort you put into creating this project. It's only while playing that I can see how much love you put into it. QoL changes make it more enjoyable to play than ever before, auto running and faster bike and swimming are game changers! Porting Faraway Island (and others which I haven't encountered yet) and legal creatures (in Safari and from other games) are a brilliant idea and execution. It makes me feel like this game is more complete, the real definitive edition of FireRed/LeafGreen. I really love this hack!

In my adventure, I encountered two bugs, visible in the attached pictures.

https://imgur.com/a/E85Bxxy

I still have some work to do as I only have one star on my trainer card. But I'll savor this work of art in every pixel, so I'll let you know if I find anything else.
I wish you all the best, good luck with CrystalDust and hopefully a future FRLG+ update!

Last edited:
Days
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 24, 2023
What "level" is Giovanni when you find him in the Team rocket base on challenge mod?

Last edited:
Days
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
I love vintage, for that reason I loved your project, because it has good taste, plus you managed to make an all in one with both versions of FR/LG, and improvements appreciable to the naked eye. Thank you very much and congratulations for your hard work. Another thing, I really like the appearance of the PKMN when they are Shiny, and I like to collect them. Could I use Gameshark cheats from PKMN Fire red Squirrels to get them?

Greetings from Latin America.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
I'm just going to rapid-fire answer these while I have the time, so apologies for being curt. Since this is a lot of quoting, I'm going to put it all in a spoiler.

Spoiler:

As for updates:

I haven't worked on FRLG+ in a while, as I am very busy in real life, but I do have some big plans for it. The next *full* release will definitely be incompatible with existing saves, but might not even come in 2024 so if you want to play FRLG+, don't let some looming save break deter you. I may do a small bugfix release (that will not break saves) sometime soon, but it really depends on how much time I have and what I feel like doing with it. None of the known bugs are gamebreaking.

Thanks for the continuing support, everyone.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 2, 2023
I saw one more graphical issue in Navel Rock, near entrance. I will to attach a screen shot later.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Dec 25, 2023

Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen+

https://github.com/Deokishisu/FRLG-Plus

Please read the FAQ located here before asking questions or opening issues.

Introduction

The intention of this hack is to be the definitive FireRed and LeafGreen experience, adding in many quality of life and gameplay conveniences to make the game more bearable to play in 2022 while attempting to make the postgame better. The main goals of this project are as follows:
  • Implement options that can make the gameplay more or less difficult, giving the player more choice over the type of run they'll have.
  • Optionally remove unnecessary time wasters in the gameplay (health bar animations, text delays, etc.) while adding in methods of speeding up basic gameplay.
  • Maintain full compatibility with all of the games that vanilla FireRed and LeafGreen can link with and maintain the core Gen 3 gameplay.
  • Make sure all obtainable Pokémon are 100% legal in Gen 3.
  • Make the postgame more robust and make each Sevii Island unique and distinct.
  • Step on established canon as little as possible.

Features

The full feature list can be found in the project's repository here. The list in that link is easier to read as well.
  • A Key System has been implemented similar to Black 2 and White 2. Accessed from the main menu, this contains several difficulty options as well as the version toggle.
    • 2-in-1. This hack includes both FireRed and LeafGreen in their entirety, played with one savefile. This allows to player to organically catch the version exclusives in one playthrough. The current version can be toggled from the Key System.
    • Easy and Challenge Mode toggles; a built-in Nuzlocke ruleset; IV and EV calculation modifiers; a "No Free Heals" mode that prevents healing by any means except items; and an Experience Modifier are all accessed from the Key System.
      • The built-in Nuzlocke implementation is a special version of the standard ruleset to allow for a semi-normal playthrough. Fainted Pokémon cannot be revived by any means (including with the PC), and the player can catch Pokémon other than their first encounter in an area, those Pokémon will just be automatically fainted so they are unusable. This allows a Nuzlocke player to still fill up their Pokédex normally.
      • With No Free Heals toggled on, the PC will not heal Pokémon deposited into it in addition to disabling heals from the Pokémon Center and other healing spots.
      • Press L in the Key System menu to access the help entries that explain each option more thoroughly.
  • Better Postgame
    • Faraway and Southern Islands ported from Emerald. All 4 event islands accessible through gameplay accomplishments.
    • More obtainable Pokémon. Alongside all Kanto Pokémon, 90% of Johto Pokémon and 5 Hoenn Pokémon are obtainable for a total of 246 Pokémon available in one playthrough without trading.
      • Special care has been taken to ensure that all obtainable Pokémon are valid and legal in Gen 3. (With the possible exception of English Faraway Island Mew.)
      • A new Pokédex mode, Extended Mode, lists all Pokémon available without trading and is given out instead of the National Dex. The National Dex is now only obtainable by trading in a Pokémon not in the Extended Mode. Never wonder again if blanks in the Pokédex are obtainable without trading.
      • Some new areas added to house the new Pokémon, including a Safari Zone expansion.
    • Master Trainers for the 151 Kanto Pokémon similar to the Let's Go games with earnable titles for defeating them. Titles can be shown off to other FRLG+ players in link battles.
    • Unlockable Gym Leader rematches.
    • The RS Battle Tower has been ported, and its Level 100 mode has been changed to Open Level like in Emerald so it is more accessible.
  • Quality of Life improvements
    • Instant text option.
    • Running indoors; toggleable auto-running.
    • Other travel speedups: a faster gear for the bike, hold B to surf faster, cut trees stay cut permanently, BW Repel system, boulder puzzles stay solved permanently, etc.
    • Expanded inventory space with two new pockets to ease bag navigation. The player can hold one stack of every possible item at once.
    • Infinite TM uses.
    • EV-reducing berries ported from Emerald and made available.
    • New settings in the options menu that can skip the field transition that leads into a battle, the slide-in animation at the start of every battle, animate healthbars faster/instantly, and skip in-battle text delays.
    • Move Tutors charge after the first time they teach a move, allowing infinite tutor reuses.
    • The Move Reminder can teach moves from a Pokémon's pre-evolutions (with some caveats, see the full features document).
    • Indicators for which stats are modified by a Pokémon's nature on the summary screen.
    • Press select on the initial Pokédex screen to open the last viewed entry. No need for excessive inputs to see where the roamer went.
    • No evolution restrictions: Pokémon will evolve regardless of whether or not they're in the Kanto Dex.
    • Trade evolutions can also be evolved with a Key Item obtained during the story.
    • All Deoxys formes included; they are implemented in a way that is link compatible with vanilla games.
    • No link restrictions. Trade with the other Gen 3 games the moment the Pokédex is obtained.
    • Softlock prevention mechanisms are in place.
  • Miscellaneous
    • All Revision 1 bug fixes are included here, and other vanilla bugs, localization oversights, and tile errors that were never addressed are also fixed.
      • The Roaming IV bug has not been fixed to keep the Legendary Beasts legal.
    • The summary screen can display the met location of any Pokémon obtained in Gen 3, including Pokémon from Orre.
    • Abilities have effects in the overworld, ported from Emerald.
    • The Day Care has been made more convenient overall, and Everstone passing down natures has been ported from Emerald.

Screenshots

Version%20Toggle.gif
Battle%20Tower.png
Dive.png
Four%20Island.png

EV%20Rematches.png
Extended%20Dex.png
Battle%20Anim%20Fast.gif
Mewtwo%20Master.png

Faraway%20Island.png
Key%20System.gif
Help%20Key%20System.png
Farfetchd%20Master.gif

Nature%20Indicators.png
New%20Option.gif
Main%20Menu.png
Master%20Title.png

Latios.png
Latias.png
New%20Move%20Tutors.png
Gym%20Leader%20Rematches.png

Downloads

The current version is v1.4.2 and was released on 02 May 2022.
The best way to obtain this hack is to build it yourself, however, a BPS patch is available for download here. Apply it to a clean copy of the FireRed Squirrels ROM (or another clean dump of FireRed V1.0) that is floating around with a BPS Patcher such as this one.

This hack is best played on mGBA. VBA is an extremely outdated and inaccurate emulator, and I cannot guarantee smooth play experiences on it.

Cheating

This is not a binary hack, and therefore everything has been shifted. Action Replay and other similar codes will not work and should not be used.

The preferred method of cheating is through save editing. The savefiles of this hack are mostly compatible with PKHeX. If you opt to save edit, do not under any circumstances open the Items submenu. Bag data has been significantly changed and attempting to edit it with PKHeX will corrupt your save. All other functions of the save editor should be fine. If you want to edit flags or variables, a full list of each is in the repository here for flags and here for variables, respectively.

Future Plans

I consider this hack to be feature complete, though there are still several small graphical things that need to be edited. I'm releasing now because I want playtesters to report bugs and give feedback.

Issues for a Future Release
  • Alter the cable car sequence so that it travels in the correct direction.
  • Add a location preview for Artisan Cave.
Long-term Plans
  • If someone else ports the backend for the Battle Frontier to pokefirered, I will include the Battle Frontier in a future release. The backend port job is more than I'm personally willing to do for this project.
Probably-Not-Happening Plans
  • Pokémon Contests ported from Emerald. I'm interested in this but realistically no one else is going to want to port this to pokefirered. If I get bored one day I may port it and implement all the needed infrastructure (Berry Blender, support for viewing contest stats, contest moves, and ribbons in the summary screen, etc.) but nobody hold their breath for this.

Credits

[h3][/h3]So many people from pret that I couldn't possibly list them all. The big names know who they are. Thank you.
Kurausukun - For an initial Nuzlocke implementation done on pokeemerald that I based mine off of.
The Accurate FireRed Overworld Sprite Resource - Some of the OW sprites that I edited.
This thread and this thread for some OW sprites that I edited.
ghoulslash - For the Dive implementation, as well as several quality of life improvements originally done on pokeemerald that I ported.
Josh/ShinyDragonHunter - Emerald hero OW sprites used in the link rooms.
Lunos - A few improvements originally done on pokeemerald that I ported, including letting the player only buy TMs once and LGPE-styled Premier Balls.
Revo - His pokeemerald Instant Text implementation that I ported.
SBird (I think) - Turning TM/HMs into a bitfield in pokeemerald that I ported.
Hiroshi Sotomura - For submitting a bugfix PR that got merged.
Loving the hack btw! I just got done with defeating all the master trainers but I can't seem to find the Super secret boss? I tried to talking to the one guy in Pallet Town but that didn't help

Back