• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Complicated or simple storyline?

What storyline do you like?

• Total voters

Larsie13

So, I've been wondering... What do people like better in a hack? A complicated storyline, with lots of side-quests and/or subplots? Or a storyline that's kept nice and simple?

Personally, I like storylines that are a little complicated, at the very least.
    So, how about you?

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2011
    I think storylines shouldn't be too simple but not overcomplicated as well. Complicated enough, you know.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    Although I like simple, I don't think a simple storyline will keep PLAYERS interested in your games. It's like, after they read the storyline of your hack, they'll be like, 'okay, I think I know where this is going' or something related to that.
    I prefer a complicated one, 'cause it'll keep PLAYERS' interest running trying to figure out the mysteries of your storyline.

Last edited:

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
    Years
  • I agree DJG, your storyline has to have some kind of substance to it. You also have to keep it a mystery, and make it compelling for the player to wonder "what happens next?" I've seen a lot of hacks with pretty good storylines who blow it all in their thread. Wow, great story, thanks for posting it and saving me hours of my life that I would have otherwise spent playing your hack.

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
    Years
  • Keepin' it simple here, let's just say Simple story with not much thought put into it = Failure of a hack, eventually.
    What I noticed was that some people make stories, and forget all about them during their hack creation. They start to make events to get recognition or to make their hack look good rather than coincide with the story.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • I like hacks that have a story in the midle story line something I can read in a paragrah and understand everything not something not has 5 spolers with a ton of information
    I also want to see lots of sidequest
    sidequest is what made legened of zelda such a popular series( pluse the puzzels accorse)

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • Well, I prefer simple storylines because, like most people in our modern age, I don't want to have to think.
    You said that stories with sidequests and subplots are complicated but I believe that you can have those aspects in a storyline and still keep it fairly simple and easy to follow. I have always enjoyed mini-quests and other non-storyline related goodies in games and so I try to implement as many as possible into my own creations. However, having them in a game doesn't have to complicate the storyline, unless you really want them to, in which case they can be used very effectively to do just that.

Ven

Tyrian
    Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2011
    On a hack? Simple.
    Most of the time when a hack has a complicated storyline, it's either never finished or comes out horrible.
    Though I do like sub-quest/plots, it's like a little break from the main story :p

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    It all depends on the game.
    With games like pokemon and Dragon Warrior/Quest, since the main enjoyment in those games are the gameplay. Games like Earthbound and Final Fantasy heavily rely on their story to keep my interest in them.
    The exception of hacks is that they should be fairly simple, but not "beat X amount of gyms, destroy Y evil team, beat game". I'm all for complicated storylines, but they are so...complicated >_<

TehBazzard

Main creator of FireRed+
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2009
    To be honest a simple storyline is enough for me. Anything that changes the usual Pokemon plot formula will alienate me. I might find it cool, but it just won't feel like Pokemon to me really. However some additional side-quests are always welcome for me.

Larsie13

Keepin' it simple here, let's just say Simple story with not much thought put into it = Failure of a hack, eventually.
    What I noticed was that some people make stories, and forget all about them during their hack creation. They start to make events to get recognition or to make their hack look good rather than coincide with the story.
    Yeah, that's the problem with a lot of hackers these days. They don't really hack for fun, but mostly to, as you said, get recognition.[/offtopic] Also, yeah, what you said is probably true in most cases, but there are probably also good hacks that have a (very) simple storyline. (Which, then, probably owe their success to graphics, minigames, etc.)

But, yeah, for most hacks around here, your statement is very true.
    It's got to be complicated I want something that will last more than a few hours.
    Indeed. That, IMO, is the problem with the official games. The storyline is always the same, and usually not a very interesting one either. [/wishesnintendowouldgetanoriginalidea]
    To be honest a simple storyline is enough for me. Anything that changes the usual Pokemon plot formula will alienate me. I might find it cool, but it just won't feel like Pokemon to me really. However some additional side-quests are always welcome for me.
    Well, you could, of course, keep the regular plot formula, and add other stuff, like... I don't know, maybe some mysteries or something..., so the plot formula stays intact, but the storyline gets complicated. Two birds with on stone, as they call it.
    It depends. Too complicated will be very hard for the Hacker to do, while too simple will make the Hack boring. So, let's say, it will be in the Middle.
    You think so? Well, first, some hackers like a challenge, and second, a complicated storyline doesn't neccesarily have to be hard to make. It all depends on the imagination and skills of the hacker whether they can come up with a good, complicated storyline, and also being able to implement it in the game.

As you could probably conclude from this post, yes, I prefer a complicated storyline myself. Though, a simple storyline isn't always bad. I've played games with a simple storyline before, though those where mostly games that didn't really depend on their storyline, or had a lot of extra's. But, in hacks, I would probably not play a game with a simple storyline that quick. Simply because that's really the thing that most hacks rely on, IMO. Bad storyline = failure.

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
    Years
  • For a hack I believe they have to be a little bit in between
    The hack can't be too simple or the player will lose interest yet the hack can't be too complicated or the player will be confused about the story
    You need the hack to be balanced to have a truly successful hack in my opinion~

DA-Kizemaru

The Real Kizemaru-Kurunosuke
    Years
  • Less is more.
    I don't like hacks that are complicated, but keeping the player on his toes is a good thing. If you make a hack, make it look like something Pokemon would produce.

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2021
    I prefer complicated stories over simple ones but what I really want to see is a creative story.

negative

Life returns. Life prevails.
    Years
  • There is a diffirence between Complicated and creative, so I like a little complicated and VERY creative...I don't like the original " GET THE BADGES TO BE THE CHAMP" story...

masterhacker445

Pokemon Northern Lights Owner
    Years
  • I agree w/ DJG and Arcade Star

Complicated enough to be them running around.

And complicated but original.

Someimtes, not always, simplicity can be a down factor in any game [personally I think]

ThePastaThrower

...Is adding extra meatballs..
    Years
  • It's all about how it's executed. If it's a complicated storyline, but it's just something there on the side running along the boring main quest, no.

If the whole story with all the events relate to the story, not just side-quests going along, then it might be pretty awesome. Sadly, I haven't seen many of those kind of hacks finished.

So I vote for simple. Overcomplications just make things worse. If it's a weird storyline with things that don't make much sense except if you're a hopeless nerd, then heck no. Simple storylines are usually better executed, and work better overall in a Pokémon game. Pokémon games are not meant to have a super-complicated storyline.

Back