• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Compliments from Strangers

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Do you find it sweet when a stranger compliments you at work, school, on the streets etc? Does it make your day better when you receive compliments? Or does it creep you out and make you uncomfortable for a couple of minutes?

Do you feel better about the day if you get a compliment from a friend rather than a stranger instead?

One time when I was riding the subway, there was a middle aged guy with shades standing underneath the stairs and he said that I looked good. Of course that creeped me out to no end cause he was probably some pedo-rapist.

Although when I was at the mall, I got a compliment about my TMNT t-shirt and that brightened my mood a bit.

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Specific compliments that are on things I do to myself, like clothing and makeup, make me happy. Compliments on my body or how I look in general make me uncomfortable, both from strangers and friends. From friends because I don't really like attention, but from strangers it's the discomfort that comes with feeling vulnerable and at risk.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Specific compliments that are on things I do to myself, like clothing and makeup, make me happy. Compliments on my body or how I look in general make me uncomfortable, both from strangers and friends. From friends because I don't really like attention, but from strangers it's the discomfort that comes with feeling vulnerable and at risk.

Yeah I can imagine it would be more uncomfortable for a female. D:

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
    Similar to Oryx, but I don't like compliments from strangers at all about anything. I don't get many, but when I do, I feel extremely vulnerable and literally wonder what the person wants, and whether or not they'll leave me alone or approach me or whatever.

I don't make eye contact when I'm outside by myself for the same reasons. I don't want to give people the idea that I'm looking to start a conversation because we made eye contact.

It's uncomfortable with friends, but it doesn't have the same feeling as I get from strangers. It's more disbelief and "they're just trying to be nice" that is my reaction. I don't take compliments genuinely, which may or may not be part of the problem. I always think people who compliment me are just subtly bullying me because, as I've experiened in my youth, I don't have all the goods, and that sets me up for ridicule.

Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2016
    The only thing strangers compliment on is my bright red hair. (not dyed.) My mother has been trying to get hers to be the same as mine, but no matter how many dyes she tries, it never matches. My mother says my hair color is unable to be replicated with a bottle. So a lot of woman like my hair. ^_^

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    I find myself very unattractive, so whenever I get complimented I get both excited and kinda concerned for the person. If I get complimented I distance myself from the person because they seem weird to me. Doesn't matter who it is. I get complimented on my eyes a lot, sometimes I don't even know how people notice though. Like one time at school my freshman year I was sitting at a lunch table and then these two girls came up to me and said they saw my eyes through the windows and wanted to say how pretty they were. Like, what. But they do look pretty good, especially when I put on some eyeliner and a little bit of shadow. They just really pop out and are bright.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I used to get so uncomfortable when people would compliment on my body/looks I guess because I was so used to hearing bad things. I would walk into a public place and be terrified to make eye contact in the fear that someone would start a convo with me. Now though idc who is giving the compliment or what they are complimenting me on I just love it all. It's especially great when you're a girl and you realize you have magical powers over men using eye contact that you can harness with time. Shower me with compliments peasants~

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    I used to get so uncomfortable when people would compliment on my body/looks I guess because I was so used to hearing bad things. I would walk into a public place and be terrified to make eye contact in the fear that someone would start a convo with me. Now though idc who is giving the compliment or what they are complimenting me on I just love it all. It's especially great when you're a girl and you realize you have magical powers over men using eye contact that you can harness with time. Shower me with compliments peasants~

As I was scrolling through PC I saw this thread again, but this time I thought it said "Compliments from Strippers." So I mean, by my brains logic I can give you all the compliments you want baby. For a price.

Compliments from strippers are much better than those from normal peasants.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    As I was scrolling through PC I saw this thread again, but this time I thought it said "Compliments from Strippers." So I mean, by my brains logic I can give you all the compliments you want baby. For a price.

Compliments from strippers are much better than those from normal peasants.

The best compliments are free

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    Well you get all kinds of things for free when you hang around a stripper. Or any girl of questionable employment and/or background.

Mirri

ємвяα¢є тнє ѕтσям
    Years
    I adore getting compliments from anyone. :D They always make me feel much better. It's a plus when they compliment me while I'm feeling good about my appearance that day. It really eases all my doubt and insecurity. One of my favorite kind of compliments are the ones that are directed towards parts of you (physically or personality-wise) that you didn't even notice.

Compliments with strangers are usually 50/50 for me. It's either someone commenting on my appearance because they enjoy that particular thing and don't expect anything beyond that and then there's those people who DO expect something in return for their compliment. There is a pretty big difference between friendly complimenting, flirting, and hitting on someone. I've had my experience with all of those and timing, attitude, and the way you approach someone about it means everything. Catcalling is also not a compliment and never will be.

I have a particular friend who seems to know exactly the right times to compliment me and make me feel better. On days I'm not feeling too great about my appearance, whether or not I express it, they usually give me a compliment. Even though I shut it down most of the time (mainly insecurity and anxiety) I really do genuinely appreciate being told those things. Some days I believe compliments more than others, despite knowing they're true on my good days. It really just depends on how I'm feeling.

It just feels so great to be appreciated and shown some sort of affection from others. I believe most people have decent and honest intentions. When someone takes the time out of their day to brighten mine, I really appreciate it and I try to do the same for as many people as I can. If a thought ever runs through my head "wow, their dress is so gorgeous!" or "the way your hair falls today is lovely!" I will try to express it. The world is clouded with so much negativity already, so why not try and be someone's little ray of sunshine? You never know what could be going on in someone's life, so always treat friends and strangers with a kind heart and open mind.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    I tend to get them fairly often from drunk people whenever i'm out drinking, and yeah, I do the same.

I sparked up a 10 minute conversation with someone one night because he was wearing a t-shirt with a picture of the stegosaurus from ASDF Movie on it, and i'd told him I loved it.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I mean an honest compliment is always appreciative to me, whether its from a stranger or someone I know. Builds my self confidence that day, boosts my mood, and generally makes me feel pretty good. I can't think of a compliment I've ever gotten from someone that makes me feel uncomfortable.

I kind of feel bad for the people who get uncomfortable when they get any old compliment. Their self esteem is probably very low, and they probably have some identity issues and are battling an internal battle to love themselves, which I wish them all the luck in the world.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I mean an honest compliment is always appreciative to me, whether its from a stranger or someone I know. Builds my self confidence that day, boosts my mood, and generally makes me feel pretty good. I can't think of a compliment I've ever gotten from someone that makes me feel uncomfortable.

I kind of feel bad for the people who get uncomfortable when they get any old compliment. Their self esteem is probably very low, and they probably have some identity issues and are battling an internal battle to love themselves, which I wish them all the luck in the world.

Word. I feel the same way to be honest. I don't like compliments if it's coming from a creepy middle-aged man but a compliment from anyone else about my appearance or clothing always brightens my mood. :D

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I love getting compliments from strangers, especially on days where I'm just not feeling top percent (lol). It really helps. I also like when people get my shirt references. My Daxter shirt doesn't net too many so I'm still waiting on someone to be like "OMG YOUR SHIRT" for that one, but my Banjo Kazooie one gets compliments. :>

Years
    I can't take compliments from strangers or even friends. If a stranger compliments me I kind of shrink away and sulk a little for a while. Yes, I'm weird.

Years
    I can't remember the last time I was complimented by a random stranger *le sigh*. I usually only get compliments from family, friends and coworkers. However, when I go out with my husband I get to be amused at him fuming over other men checking me out.

I like compliments. Who doesn't like to have their ego rubbed?

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I don't like the vibe in this thread that if a man compliments you he's a creepy rapist. Lose the victim mentality, most likely he means it in a platonic way or if it is sexual he's going to be consentual and respect you if you aren't interested. It's very sad that you take the lowest common denominator of strangers giving compliments to be representative of all men. Seeing middle aged men demonised is also sad, the assumption that because they're older and they so much as open their mouth to a younger person they're a sexual predator.

Etiquette on receiving compliments from strangers:

Is it open ended and not specifically sexual? E.g nice dress, nice eyes, you look pretty. Say thank you, consider that they may not be a criminal then move on if you don't want to talk to them.

Is it sexual and predatory? E.g I'd tap that, nice tits sugar. Say nothing and walk away calmly.

Be concerned for your wellbeing if you're in a secluded area late at night, regardless of what a person says. Still, I'm sad that I am not allowed to attempt to talk to someone I don't know because I'll automatically be labelled creepy. I have no interest in hurting anyone but society has made it that there's no way to meet new people spontaneously without being weird. Try to open a conversation with all that is available to you, the physical realm? It's predatory. Observe the person a little bit so you can comment on something a little more meaningful e.g hey you're playing pokemon I like that too! Stalker.

Women want to 'play it safe' when a stranger compliments them but they're really fostering a hyper paranoid society where an unknown person can't relate to another unknown person with their basic humanity without being demonised. It makes me very upset and brings a feeling of isolation even when surrounded by people.

Evidently I take compliments by strangers positively, saying thank you and smiling. I will admit it throws me a little off balance when I don't expect it but in retrospect it seems to me that they meant nothing by it or just wanted to talk.

You need to keep in mind that I live in New York City, a place where strangers can hardly be trusted if they're loitering in a subway station in Manhattan. Too much crime going on in the MTA for me to feel safe.

Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2015
    Strangers complimenting? Not where I live. The only compliments I would ever expect are those from friends, and I love it when they do it ^^"

Often enough I get shunned and insulted/shout at when walking down the street, skating, cycling or whatever. :/

Back