• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Corocoro (release for July) and E3 Speculation and Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Shocked that they gave Steven Charizard. There's a point where they need to forget the marketing aspect and maintain some level of realism. Sure, it makes some sense seeing as he is in the hunt for information regarding Mega evolution, and Charizard has two of them, making him a primary specimen for research, but that's not enough for me to warrant them breaking away from his typing specialty.

May does look abnormally skinny, although the angle and contortion of the picture may have something to do with it. No major alterations, but from what I can tell they look good. I was hoping Brendan's hat would come back :] Personally, I'm still going to go with May. I may prefer the original designs just a bit, but not a negative change at all.

Team Magma and Aqua look awesome with their redesign. It's great to see that they're paying some special attention to them, their concepts deserve to be fleshed out a bit more.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • I highly doubt he'll keep Charizard. I feel like they are using it as a filler Pokemon to replace what they really plan to use. Mega Skarmory, Mega Metagross, etc. The picked Charizard to create the biggest buzz which would explain why he didn't use another Mega Steel-type.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • Wow I just noticed that Steven has a Mega Charizard X. Well that's sad honetsly. I have to agree with some people here. Charizard has been getting too hyped lately, it's kind of annoying. I'm hoping at least some of his original team is in-tack. And if he's interested in Mega Evolution, then maybe he'll have some other mega of his other team members. I.E. Mega Metagross.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I highly doubt he'll keep Charizard. I feel like they are using it as a filler Pokemon to replace what they really plan to use. Mega Skarmory, Mega Metagross, etc. The picked Charizard to create the biggest buzz which would explain why he didn't use another Mega Steel-type.

This. It's likely Demo only. It's high level hints at it too as no one has ever used a Lv. 100 in a battle...

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I bet Steven will have the Charizard for one reason, and that's to show you how Mega Evolution works. They wouldn't change up his team, they'd have no reason to do so.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Although Tabitha looked rather similar to the male Team Magma Grunts of Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire, there are other ways to make him look a little more distinct than just going "LOL he's fat now." I mean, not to knock people of that type of girth, but the portly redesign of Tabitha just seems insulting to the original design of Tabitha. And on the fandom side of things, he's going to get so much grief from both his name (Tabitha seems to be a usually-feminine name) and his size (in that it starkly contrasts his original leanness).
    Absolutely. I actually welcome more characters of varying body types, but we've had a fair amount of portly male characters (and Wattson comes back for these games, too!), and no overweight female characters. Maybe the Chefs from Unova are, a little? But no major female character has been of heavier weight, which I think is a shame...

My main gripe with Tabitha's redesign is...they kept Courtney practically the same, except they gave her a mini-skirt instead of her original longer one. Why change Tabitha so drastically? He wasn't important to begin with, and even though he looked kind of like the Grunts, so did Courtney. Changing the Leaders is one thing but this just seems like a pointless change to give him a less appealing design. And it has nothing to do with his weight--Wulfric had a very unique, memorable design. At this point it just seems like he was made larger to make him "stand out" without giving it much more thought, which is a shame, if you ask me.

As for Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver, to my knowledge, the 4 Rocket Admins didn't really have any "old" designs from Generation 2 other than generic Team Rocket Grunt artwork (which practically everyone uses for Team Rocket bar Giovanni, IIRC. Additionally, I don't even know if there was any female Team Rocket Grunt artwork prior to Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen, so there's that.) In my opinion, the designs granted to the Rocket Admins with the advent of HG/SS mesh well with the standard Rocket Grunt designs anyway (lean design, usage of dark colors for the most part, with the white colors receiving precedence in other Team Rocket outfits). Ariana retains red hair (possibly looking even more imposing/elite than the Generation 2 design) and Archer still looks menacing, so that's not too much fuss. Archer, Proton, and Petrel all looked rather similar, so I guess people were in favor of them being "redesigned" (which wasn't too drastic, in my opinion); and at least you can still take Proton and Petrel's redesigns seriously.
    Gen 2 did have female Grunts, but that honestly has no bearing on this--because you're right about the Admins' redesigns into HGSS. Petrel and Proton used the standard Grunt sprites, so they had to be redesigned from scratch (at least they still kept their black Grunt uniforms). Archer's hair color changed but I can see the similarities with the original Admin sprite. Ariana looks a lot more different but keeps her red hair as you've said (and you could argue that her new hair is shaped more similarly to Silver's in an attempt to get people talking about who his mother could be---!). Tabitha looked a bit similar to the Grunts, yes, but as I've said, so did Courtney, and her design is barely changed, with the exception of giving her a shorter skirt.

However, with Team Magma, we apparently now have, for lack of a better word (ugh, and I hate to indulge into stereotypes too much >.<) , a "nerd boss" and a "fat Admin". Regarding the former, although I guess a "nerd villainous team boss" is somewhat new, Pokemon has enough "nerds" as it is (Bug Maniacs, Collectors, Colress (who was somewhat part of a villainous team himself), Clemont, Scientists). I know there's more to those people than just being "somewhat-tall intelligent people with prominent glasses", but it's possible to be smart without glasses. As for Tabitha, going from "lean" to "portly" is just about the most jarring change you could make in terms of a visual redesign. None of the HG/SS Rocket Admins had that happen to them, so I don't see why Tabitha was redesigned like that. Also, essentially being Maxie's right-hand man, Tabitha has to do a lot of walking/traveling around (from Mt. Chimney to areas ranging from Seafloor Cavern, Lilycove City, and Mossdeep City, depending on how the storyline unfolds; IIRC, the anime even portrayed him as an agent/scout of sorts), and a "fat" Tabitha doesn't seem inclined to be doing stuff like that.
    Absolutely. The more I think about it, it looks like they're trying to make Team Magma seem like "a bunch of nerds" while making Aqua seem more "cool." Matt was seriously buffed which also kind of came out of nowhere, but it wasn't as out-of-left-field as Tabitha. But taking that into consideration, I don't see why Game Freak would want one team to seem "nerdier" than the other--and it's honestly not nice to include a chubbier person amongst those nerds. Unless they want to teach us the "evils of bullying" and give Tabitha more of a role in these games, it's just not a redesign that will sit well with me.

As for change, I don't think people necessarily disagree with it; people just want good/sensible change. I mean, you didn't see someone like Silver's or Whitney's lean Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal designs suddenly becoming fat for no reason in Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver; their redesigns more or less retained the leanness of their original designs. There's ways of updating things adequately while still remaining faithful to the original designs (as opposed to drastic, out-of-nowhere changes)..
    Very good way to sum it up!

Corocoro (release for July) and E3 Speculation and Discussion thread
    ROFL; you are the first person I've seen who has called Mega Swampert an "Egg" (the design isn't that bad in my opinion, though!). XD Totally agree with you; it feels like the "HOENN CONFIRMED" hype train is either hitting some bumpy areas or taking an odd detour of sorts... The thing bothering me the most is the redesigns of Tabitha, Brendan/May, and Teams Magma/Aqua in general. I don't like prejudging stuff so negatively either, but it's not that different compared to the people who are already lauding the changes with positive prejudging. :/ I mean, unless Tabitha goes on an intense exercise regimen during the events of OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire, I highly doubt that any amount of waiting will make me warm up to his design.
    Lol, I am starting to warm up a bit to Mega Swampert's design (Swampert is my favorite Pokémon so I really want to like it!), but the few in-game screenshots of it we have...the silhouette just...it's an Egg.

Yeah this kind of thing is bound to happen--I remember with the reveal of Mega Evolutions...at first it wasn't stated how they would work, and all I could think was, "This seems cool, but if there starts to be four stages of evolution the game balance would break and the power creep would literally be irreversible..." But once it was confirmed to be in-battle only I was much happier with it. There's nothing wrong with having a critical mind about these kinds of things. If anything, if fans are able to professionally express their opinions, it could even help developers create better games in the future.

This. Although Steven Stone doesn't exclusively use Steel-type Pokemon (with the presence of Armaldo and Cradily), at least the Hoenn fossil Pokemon are mineral-based unlike Mega Charizard X. :x
    Yeah, his teams are almost always 50% Steel and 50% Rock.
    Better use a Pokémon that is weak to Rock, then!

I'm hoping this is the case, but again, there are plenty of Hoenn-species Mega Evolutions that could've been used for a demonstration, let alone a Steel/mineral type that matches Steven Stone's modus operandi.
    Something else I'm finding weird about this "demonstration" is that the scan shows the Mega Charizard to be Lv100. ORAS confirmed to be difficult, I guess?

May looks lanky as heck; her legs seem longer than her whole upper body!
    I'm also not enjoying that "bow-legged" look that she and Diantha have... @@;

Years
  • I bet Steven will have the Charizard for one reason, and that's to show you how Mega Evolution works. They wouldn't change up his team, they'd have no reason to do so.

Hopefully this is why. It really irks me when monotype trainers like gym leaders and elite four have Pokemon that aren't of their type specialty. Simply giving Steven a Charizard to raise publicity would be an abysmal way to promote ORAS. Thankfully, giving him one to explain how Mega evolutions work makes a lot of sense, so there's a solid chance that's what it is.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • As other said, Steven with Charizard is probably the demo people can play at E3. I don't think they would give him Charizard, plus Charizard isn't catchable in game and I doubt he will be.

Calamity

Just for the love of the game.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2020
    Mega Charizard? Jesus christ Steven it's not even a mineral!

As for the new mega's, I really do like both of their designs! But both of their new abilities do seem a little odd. I'd like to know what base speed they're going to give Mega Swampert now he has Swift Swim. The new "prehistoric" forms for Groundon and Kyogre surely shows we're going to have a completely different storyline? I'm also looking forward to see if Mega Diancie will get implemented to the storyline.

Years
  • Mega Diancie seems so... random, for lack of a better word. Maybe it's because I'm so hyped about ORAS that my brain isn't functioning correctly, but I can't make any connection to it and Hoenn, whether it be storyline or environment or what. Could have something to do with Groudon and Kyogre's prehistoric forms.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I'm thinking Diancie will play some sort of role in these games having some involvement with the Mega Evolution storyline. I can't imagine them holding out until 2015 for a third game to XY if there is going to be one. Either that or they will just release as an event and make it so you can find a Diancite in Hoenn.

Years
  • I think Diancie getting a Mega in time for ORAS is similar to Deoxys being in FrLG and having one forme for each one. It's just there for fans, and will likely not serve much of a purpose. Though I hope that it'll get some story like the Arceus-CT event in HgSs. Like take Diancie to some new area with undergrown crystal ruins with nothing but the Rock/Fairy it mutated from (Carbring?) which will activate a chamber that contains the Mega Stone for it.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I personally like the new designs of Brendan and May, at least they're still similar to the ones in Emerald and not extremely different like Ethan and Lyra. The proportions are so weird though. Just realizing how skinny they've gotten.

Spoiler:

Pokemon characters never really had good proportion though. I mean what 10-year old has breast that big? I'm gonna remember though, they'll probably look way better in the games themselves so I'm not complaining. And they will hopefully allow for customization again and could (hopefully) have outfits similar to the older designs.
    tbh the only thing I have a big problem with is the poses. Mostly May's. I mean they seem to be based more off the RSE art than Emerald art but like. May's pose was so much more balanced; her center of gravity looks all messed in the new art. And their Emerald poses were very balanced and action-ready, what happened to that? Brendan looks like he's going to fall over again. Or get stiff muscles from standing so awkwardly. Bleah. Also not a fan of May's double-layered shorts lol but Brendan's bottoms are a heck of an improvement.

Years
  • What do you think we'll see at E3 that we didn't get in Corocoro? I'm hoping that they explain the Ancient De-evolution, or provide some clues into how we activate it. Also a trailer would be good.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • tbh the only thing I have a big problem with is the poses. Mostly May's. I mean they seem to be based more off the RSE art than Emerald art but like. May's pose was so much more balanced; her center of gravity looks all messed in the new art. And their Emerald poses were very balanced and action-ready, what happened to that? Brendan looks like he's going to fall over again. Or get stiff muscles from standing so awkwardly. Bleah. Also not a fan of May's double-layered shorts lol but Brendan's bottoms are a heck of an improvement.

I can kind of see that, but only cause of how their feet are positioned. Their shoes just look a bit odd. Brendan still looks battle ready imo. And he still has that cheeky grin haha. I'm gonna wait for clearer art/game models for a better opinion though.

Years
  • I'll like to see how MegaSwampert looks on all fours. I think that it's round body and it having Swift Swim could mean that it's actually faster seeing how round edged cars and other vehicles are faster than sharp edge vehicles.

Harmonious Fusion

over the rainbow, there's a glorious sight
    Years
  • My problem with the evil team redesigns is that it's not faithful to the originals. Taken on their own, they're decent enough designs that for the most part actually look pretty cool. But they aren't the Teams Magma and Aqua that I knew and loved growing up. On the other hand, I really want to like May and Brendan's new art, but something just seems off about it.

I love the new megas, at least! Especially Diancie, omg.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back