• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Could a delay or cancellation happen?

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
Years
  • tbh idk why you're so convinced SwSh is going to get cancelled

The backlash is big yes, but I don't see it as strong enough to really cause something as major as the cancellation of a main series Pokemon game (it's survived this before). Game Freak and Nintendo, as far as I know, haven't really given any sign that they have interest in cancelling the game. At most it will be delayed, and even that's not likely.

While the backlash is big now, this is probably just the start, this is mild compared to what's going to happen. Any new announcement will only aggravate the fandom, this outrage is only the start. The fandom is going to be volcanic in a couple of announcements, It's all over. Sword and Shield's fate is sealed. Everyone is complaining, things can only get worse, and it's time to say goodbye. I'm sorry.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i highly doubt they're going to cancel it. it's pokemon. it's gamefreak. it's one of the biggest ips of our time. backlash about the dex is not going to be the nail in the coffin on these. people are still excited for the game, preordering the game, deciding what starters to use, etc. i can't fathom why they would cancel.

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
    Years
  • i highly doubt they're going to cancel it. it's pokemon. it's gamefreak. it's one of the biggest ips of our time. backlash about the dex is not going to be the nail in the coffin on these. people are still excited for the game, preordering the game, deciding what starters to use, etc. i can't fathom why they would cancel.

This isn't the nail in the coffin, this is the beginning of the end. We haven't gotten any info since E3, and they usually would have given us something by now. I'll give it till the end of this month before saying anything definitive. I'm looking at the long run, these games have the potential to not come out at all. I'm sorry to say that, but that's a very real possibility.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • You say 'fandom backlash', but how much of it is it really compared to the actual whole?

People, especially children, are going to pour money into these games. I kinda find it hard to believe it's gonna be canceled anytime soon. x:

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2023
    I don't think that GF would cancel the games over fan outrage. There's still a bunch of people who would buy the game anyways.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • yeah i'm. really baffled about the adamancy on that they'll cancel when there's no substantial sign of it. of course, you're entitled to think that, i'm just. at a loss. lol

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2023
    The outcry over Dexit is not going to get the game delayed or canceled like that. It would be a sales disaster if Sword & Shield did get either delayed or canceled.

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
    Years
  • Denial, everyone is in denial. That's good, that's the first of the 5 stages of grief. Next is anger, the last bout of anger that will be felt towards these games. After that is bargaining, but no amount of bargaining can bring back the dead. Afterwards comes depression, we shall feel sadness towards these games for the first time. Finally acceptance, where we accept that these games are gone, and we can all go on with our lives. We can all move on, that is if we can make it through the depression phase. Denial is the first step, you have 4 more. Good luck.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I am sure delay won't even going to happen, what are we going to do with for all the removral of previous Pokemon games will not work, also, another problem is that 3D Animation are completely recycled from the previous Gen games, look at this video:

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
    Years
  • I don't care how wrong people keep telling me I am.
    I will keep posting about cancellation until:
    A. The games are released
    B. My prophecy comes true
    I can't take this anymore, these games must be canceled.

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2023
    There are people out there who really want to play this game despite all of the fan outrage. Everyone loses if the game is cancelled.

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
    Years
  • I will talk about cancellation until my last breath.
    No one can silence my voice! I will keep talking about it.
    I cannot be silenced! I cannot!
    People's lives are on the line here!
    These games will be canceled and that's final!

Taste of Tea

Hoenn confirmed
    Years
  • Of course they won't cancel the games, nor delay them. That would cause Game Freak and Nintendo to lose money and since all they care about is money in the first place, they're not going to sabotage themselves. As ****ty as the games look right now imo, I'm sure they'll end up becoming the best selling Switch games by the end of their run regardless, which sucks but kids don't care about the whole "Dexit" thing the way that the 20+ year old fans do.

Last edited:

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
    Years
  • Of course they won't cancel the games, nor delay them. That would cause Game Freak and Nintendo to lose money and since all they care about is money in the first place, they're not going to sabotage themselves. As ****ty as the games look right now imo, I'm sure they'll end up becoming the best selling Switch games by the end of their run regardless, which sucks but kids don't care about the whole "Dexit" thing the way that the 20+ year old fans do.

But what if, and hear me out here.
    The outrage from these games becomes too great, and it put's people's lives in danger. Then the would have to can it, for the greater good.

Last edited:

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
    Years
  • Danger from what? Ain't nobody doing anything to put the lives of Gamefreak's staff in danger; literally all of the complaints about these games are limited to fans making pointless petitions, whiny Youtube videos, image macros and memes on 4chan and Reddit, and the occasional troll who spams a Gamefreak employee's Twitter account. Oh no, someone stop the horror! 😱

Well, some fake twitter account accused Masuda of the R word.
    Maybe let that be a preview of coming attractions.
    So, if the games get canceled. It's because of the fans' hubris.

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2023
    Well, some fake twitter account accused Masuda of the R word.
    Maybe let that be a preview of coming attractions.
    So, if the games get canceled. It's because of the fans' hubris.

That is not an accurate representation of the BringBackNationalDex group. There are still a bunch of people who will play this game regardless.

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
    Years
  • That is not an accurate representation of the BringBackNationalDex group. There are still a bunch of people who will play this game regardless.

Even if it isn't, who's to say that group won't exhibit those behaviors in the future.
    I'm sorry to say this but, this is the only time I've hated a fandom with a burning passion.
    I just can't take the whining and the anger and the talk of GF being "Capitalistic". Yeah, you head me right.
    I just believe I have been mentally unwell because of fallout from this controversy, and yes I want these games to come out. But if these games continuing to exist is taking a toll on my sanity, I would prefer them to be cancelled. Money shouldn't be a priority if there's an even bigger controversy brewing.
    Graphics don't matter, because Pokemon has never been that graphically advanced. It gets by on being fun, this ain't Battlefield or COD, kids, and before you say "BuT It'S On An Hd CoNsOlE", let me tell you something. Pong was made before the advent of HD, and people still love it. Minecraft has pixely blocky graphics, but people still love it. SCP containment breach had graphics that looked simple in it's alpha stages, but people still loved it in those alpha stages. The order 1886 looked pretty, but people didn't like it that much, because it wasn't good in the gameplay department. Do you see where i'm going with this? Graphics don't matter if the game is fun or interesting, and Pokemon has always been fun and interesting.
    It doesn't matter to me that there's no national dex, because I don't transfer mons, and frankly the meta game could use some stirring up. You can lambaste me all you want, you can not buy the games if you want, it's your prerogative. But when you attack people for buying a game they like and call them "Capitalist sympathizers" that's where I draw the line. Because frankly, that's some (and I don't want to have to use this word here) communist talk right there.
    What does matter to me is my well being, and if me being mentally unwell, and ranting in the shower (Yes i'm serious, I've been doing that) can be stopped by these games being canceled, so be it. If it means the sanctity of my mental health and the safety my physical well being, I'd be happy if they got canceled.
    I don't want to get a mental illness over some games, and if they have to be canceled to save me from losing it. I would prefer that over going insane.
    So if these games are indeed cancelled, just know: It will be for the greater good, at least for me. Because at the end of the day, they are just games.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2023
    Delaying would not be a good idea either, because it would interfere with the other aspects of the franchise such as the anime and TCG and leave Nintendo without a big holiday seller in 2019. This game is coming out Holiday 2019 whether you like it or not.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I just believe I have been mentally unwell because of fallout from this controversy, and yes I want these games to come out. But if these games continuing to exist is taking a toll on my sanity, I would prefer them to be cancelled. Money shouldn't be a priority if there's an even bigger controversy brewing.

If you at any point feel like your mental wellbeing is being jeopardized by a Pokemon game, you're taking it far too seriously.

Relax. It's just a game. It's meant to be fun.

Back