• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Could a delay or cancellation happen?

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
    Years
    I see people complaining about there being no national dex.
    I'm thinking that there could be a delay to 2020 or even 2021 because they'd want to implement the national dex. Or cancellation, because it can't be done.
    I hope not, I want the games this year.
    But I understand if there is a delay or they get canceled.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    In theory a delay wouldn't even be necessary, just a patch to correspond with Home's 2020 release. The problem lies more with Game Freak not wanting to do it rather than in capability to do so.

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2022
    There isn't going to be a delay. Pokemon is more than just a Nintendo IP, it's a global franchise that's got the TCG and the anime to think about, not to mention the rest like movies, general merch, spin offs, etc... TCG sets and the anime are probably being drafted/finalised right now there's no way they can feasibly delay the titles without messing up their other divisions. That's probably why they made the cuts because they need to meet these deadlines otherwise their franchise will start to crumble.

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2019
    Probably unlikely, it's not a huge majority complaining, so it's unlikely to change

Years
    Highly doubt a delay would happen. The games follow a schedule that ties in with the anime series, merchandise, TCG, etc. It's not as easy to delay them as it is with, say, Animal Crossing, since it'll mean pushing back every other part of Pokémon (not so simple and requires lots of communication/efforts between many different groups of people managing various aspects of the franchise).

I'd be very for a patch though, which makes the most sense.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2023
    Absolutely not. They would have to delay everything else, including the anime, TCG, manga, and other merchandise.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I mean, anything is theoretically possible. Game Freak could move their operation to the Moon, idk.

But I find it unlikely that's we'll see a SHSW delay. Or GF on the moon, for that matter.

Years
    Nah. As much as people are annoyed about this decision, it would be more of an asinine decision not to take advantage of the holiday sales. Pokemon's usually a holiday system seller and everyone knows it, and delaying it would be counterproductive to that goal.

I suppose, much like Jo has stated above, anything can happen, though. I personally don't think a delay is likely, though.

Years
    I can't see it happening, don't get me wrong I would rather wait another year and get a better game out of it than rush it out and not be that good, if they did a gen 4 remake to buy them some time then I don't think most would complain about it.

Years
    I doubt a delay would happen. The games usually release to coincide with other parts of the franchise, like the anime, and a delay would knock things off schedule.

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2023
    I doubt a delay would happen. The games usually release to coincide with other parts of the franchise, like the anime, and a delay would knock things off schedule.

And, it would cost GF a lot of money and leave Nintendo without a big seller this holiday season.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    Welp....looking at this letter from Masuda himself....probably not. Or I wouldn't hold up too much for a delay. Pokemon games are on a tight knit time constraint schedule so I kinda doubt they'd delay it.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    What Treecko said. Masuda here demonstrated that they don't listen to the fans, they're too busy squeezing out rushed titles to care d:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Nope. It probably can't be. Serebii said something awhile ago about the tcg needing to come out, and the anime, too, so they can't just delay the game. I also agree. Having seen that letter the other day, too, I can't see a delay happening at all, they're just going to release it the way it is. :x

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    don't foresee a delay. i don't recall gamefreak ever delaying lol. pokemon seems to be on a pretty tight schedule and even with the backlash, they're clearly not going back to amend any of that. which i mean that's not a big deal to me, but i'd personally not mind a delay either. if it takes longer to make a better game, then by all means -- especially if it gives developers a rest.

Years
    A cancellation definitely not and a delay is almost certainly a resounding no too. Too many things are interlinked in this franchise to delay one part of it.

The only thing that could happen is a patch for (and that is a big if) the game to be released later. The only way I see that happening is if the game is a complete flop and I don't think it will be. Although I wouldn't be surprised if it did under perform to a degree.

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2023
    Absolutely not. Delaying it or cancelling it will drastically interfere with the other aspects of the franchise, like the anime or the TCG. Nintendo will also be left without a big seller for Holiday 2019, which will cause Switch sales to go down. Everyone loses in this scenario.

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
    Years
    I'm just gonna say it, these games are going to be canceled. I've given up at this point, it's time to say goodbye to Sword and Shield. There was no info at the trade show, so there's obviously no game to show off any more. It's over folks.

R.I.P Sword and Shield
    February 2019- July 2019

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    tbh idk why you're so convinced SwSh is going to get cancelled

The backlash is big yes, but I don't see it as strong enough to really cause something as major as the cancellation of a main series Pokemon game (it's survived this before). Game Freak and Nintendo, as far as I know, haven't really given any sign that they have interest in cancelling the game. At most it will be delayed, and even that's not likely.

Back