• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Covers or Original songs?

tkallab

Should have been in Dissidia
    Years
    When you're browsing youtube, there are of course people (like myself) who upload videos of themselves singing songs or playing them on an instrument. Is there anyone who watches that kind of videos? And my question to those: Do you prefer to hear covers of songs, or original songs written by the person who plays it?

I like covers of songs I know. I don't know that much music, and the songs I know is relatively unpopular. So when I see someone playing a song I know and like, it makes me feel not alone when it comes to music style.

Discuss.

Gabri

m8
    Years
    Original. Most of the covered songs don't have that typical feel of the band who originally wrote them.

institutions

ain't that a kick in the head?
    Years
    I like seeing peoples take on the songs, but I prefer the originals.

Whenever I find a new song that i'm in love with or want to learn to play myself, I look up covers on youtube. Some covers are laugh out loud bad, but most are at least decent.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I like to hear covers because I'm always interested in how artists interpret and choose to perform songs by other people. Sometimes, I enjoy the cover version, if it's something really different that the cover artist pulled of well. Rarely will I ever say that I like covers over the original though, because, hey, you can't beat the original in most cases. But sometimes I'll like covers as much or almost as much as the original.

tl;dr Original songs are better, but sometimes people can pull of some pretty good covers.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    You can't really beat the originals, overall. However, I saw Muse play "Feeling Good" on Glastonbury (I was watching it on TV xD and sadly, I missed a couple of songs) and thought it was brilliant. I don't know who did the original, but that must be one of the greatest covers of all time. I also like The King Blues' cover of Dizzee Rascal's "Bonkers". Dizzee's version is good enough, but I like the more guitar-centric TKB cover.

But apart from a few good covers, I'm generally a one for the originals.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    I like some of the nico nico singers' vocaloid covers... but on youtube, every cover I've ever heard was horrible. (No offense to anyone here, as odds are, I've never heard yours.) It's incredibly annoying trying to weed out all of the covers on youtube while looking for a song. I wouldn't mind so much if people actually put cover in the video title, but they never do. They make it seem like it's the real song, which is really annoying.

A professional band doing a cover, on the other hand, is fine. Assuming they don't completely ruin the song. :P

/totally wasn't just being pissed off by the millions of covers of a song I was looking for 2 seconds ago.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    For the most part I prefer the originals - the songs the way the original artist interpreted them to be. With that said, there have been a few cover songs that have impressed me over the years, but most sound... strange because you're expecting the original vocals and instruments and you don't usually get that with a cover version.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Original Songs. Nothing can surpass the feeling you get when you listen to the original song, in my opinion. But, I like listening to covers, and how artists interpret a song by the original artist. I'll generally browse youtube for covers if I'm trying to learn the song, or if I'm just bored curious.

Years
    I prefer the originals though I can't say that as a strict rule, as, for example, I prefer The Bangles' version of Hazy Shade of Winter, though Westlife's You Raise Me Up is just terrible compared to Josh Groban's, so I can't really say. Generally though, covers usually aren't as good as the original.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
    Do you prefer to hear covers of songs, or original songs written by the person who plays it?

It kinda depends who is the person in the first place for me. I go on youtube for music such as covers and originals more than anything else. Don't say I have a preference I just love them all XD

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    It depends. Sometimes, I find covers I like more than the originals (A Perfect Ciricle's version of Imagine I actually like more than John Lennon's) but for the most part, I'm gunna like the original better. Unless Kings of Leon did a cover, then I'd like that better...because it's Kings of Leon.

I rarely like any covers by random people on YouTube though...sorry. lol

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    I guess it depends on how the cover was done and how a great job the person or artist did. If the cover sucks, then I'd prefer the original.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    I'll listen to both. Mainly the original song, but if I can find some great covers, I'll watch them. :) One of my favorite cover artists is above92. His covers are amazing. :D WesWess, slickdan619, andrewroom409, and Grich26 are some other sick cover artists, as well. ;3

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I have no predisposed preference — whatever sounds nicer.
    Being the original creator doesn't really make one special to the point of overshadowing derivative works.

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
    I definetly prefer the original. Slightly off topic...Did anyone see Fergie in the Superbowl halftime show? Her version of "Sweet Child of Mine" was so terrible compared to the original. And she even had Slash helping her out!

Years
    I don't mind covers. Sometimes they're much better than the original (like Alanis Morissette singing My Humps), sometimes they're a lot worse, and sometimes they're just different. Although I'll probably always have a favorite version of any particular song as long as it sounds fine I'll listen to it.

Unfortunately this generally means no youtube covers for me. Not that I've seen many of those, but what I have seen makes me not want to see any more.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I like the original songs better because I can feel the song's general theme better when the person who originally wrote it sings it.

Drekin

We all live in a...
    Years
    I prefer originals but I know there are some covers that I've heard before that are pretty good compared to the original (I can't think of any at the moment).

Back