• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Covers or Original songs?

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2011
    Both, I like some original songs that are covered by some musicians but aren't that good, but I also saw some covered songs that in my opinon beats the original song.

HinaBaby

#1 Spongebob Fan!
    Years
  • I prefer Original songs, however, there are some covers that I like too. So I can't particularly tell.

Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2011
    30 Seconds to Mars - Bad Romance

way better then the original.

-inb4pplsayingitsucked,eventhoitsopinion-

Years
  • If it's a song I know and like then obviously I'm gonna prefer the original. That's not to say there aren't some really good covers out there, though. Sometimes the artist covering the song will modify it in someway so that it actually sounds better, and if that's the case, I don't even refer to it as the same song; in my eyes it's a totally different piece of music.

Years
  • Covers rock!!! I'd like to see songs with a male voice covered by a female and songs with a female voice covered by a male.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Covers rock!!! I'd like to see songs with a male voice covered by a female and songs with a female voice covered by a male.
    I wouldn't say that covers 'rock!!!' per se, but there's often something interesting about them in a purely aesthetic way. Why did the singer/band cover this particular song? What did they change about it to suit their own musical tastes/abilities? Is it merely derivative or has there been some genuine improvement?

Genuine improvements upon originals are rare; conversely, derivative adaptations are common, leading people seek out proverbial diamonds in the rough. Obvious ways of differentiation include switching up the sex of the vocals, slowing the melody down/speeding it up, changing the key, revamping all the instruments to blend genres. The best covers end up doing at least some of all of this, developing work of artistic merit rather than free riding upon the successes of others.

Two covers that I really like at the moment are both by Adele: 'Make You Feel My Love', originally by Bob Dylan, and 'Lovesong', originally by The Cure (of which I seem to be the only person that likes it). At times, it genuinely feels less like you're listening to a 'cover version' of a song' instead, it seems like you're almost discovering new stuff you've never heard of before.

Also, I'm surprised no one's mentioned what Glee has done for the permissibility of the cover version. A lot of their stuff I really don't like (mainly to drown everything out either in AutoTune or bland group vocals), but when they get their songs right, they often work wonders. (See: 'Maybe This Time', Journey medley, the whole episode entitled 'Duets')

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • Personally I prefer listening to the original of songs, however I do adore looking up acapella renditions / multitracks which I always appreciate more than the original. :P

Riku

Who cares to know, eh Bubbles?
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Feb 22, 2021
    I'm not picky, to be honest. I go based on whichever appeals to me most. Two simple examples: 'Simple Man'. I prefer the original version done by Lynyrd Skynyrd to the Shinedown version. However, conversely, I prefer the Green Day cover of 'The Saints are Coming.' I don't despise the other versions of either song, but... I prefer the ones I do simply because they are the ones that appeal most to my personal tastes.

Years
  • I prefer the originals, mostly because covers tend to incorporate new material and that sort of thing (see some pop/rock bands covering Lady Gaga and Britney spears songs) but I have a few cover songs in my Library that I like more than the original, so it just depends.

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
    Years
  • I do my own covers of metal and pop songs. And I love to see what twists people put on songs when they cover them.
    But I like the originals.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • Ok so I found another exception to my 'I like originals better.' Covers that show ridiculous musical talent, such as one person playing multiple instruments by themselves to create the whole song generally I can appreciate more than the original.

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2022
    Originals always did it first; while this doesn't necessarily make them "better," the original did work with an original idea, while a cover is just taking someone elses and changing it.

It really depends. Usually I'm inclined to say the original, but there are times where covers blow the originals out of the water. When a cover makes a mediocre song good, I always dig that, but if its a cover of an already awesome song, then its set to fail. In that vein of thinking, I'm going to say originals.

Back