• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Creative and underrated movesets

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Have you found or created any that you want to share? Please try to test it out a little beforehand so that you know it works well enough. Also mention what format it is for and include images (1 2) and an explanation if possible. Smogon movesets are fine, but please avoid posting common ones.

Example:

Ferrothorn @ Choice Band
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Gyro Ball
    - Power Whip
    - Bulldoze
    - Spikes / Explosion

CB Ferro is useful because x, y, z. Forfeit if Scald burns ya.

rob_thijs

Trick Room Master
    Years
  • Stupid but once defeated a scrub with it.

Mew @ Binding Band
    Ability - Synchronize
    Nature - Timid
    EV's - 152 HP / 104 SpA / 252 Spe
    - Hypnosis
    - Dream Eater
    - Infestation
    - Substitute

Max speed investment and Timid nature to be as fast as possible. Substitute, Infestation and Hypnosis in that order. Leach HP back with Dream Eater. Enjoy watching your opponent cry. (unless it's a Dark type)

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Creative and underrated movesets

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
    Ability: Sheer Force
    EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpA / 12 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Sludge Wave
    - Earth Power
    - Fire Blast / Ice Beam

This Nidoqueen is able to serve as a decent offensive tank thanks to its excellent defensive typing, which allows it to check fairies and steels, as well as access to Stealth Rock. It's no slouch offensively, either, despite what that 75 special attack might suggest: with LO and Sheer Force it reaches 461 Special Attack, which is higher than Mega Diancie's. You can either use Fire Blast to defeat Scizor, Skarmory and Ferrothorn or Ice Beam for Hippo, TankChomp and Dragonite. You can always move the 12 EVs from Spe into Def.

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Just a nitpick.

Id probably put that if you're posting a set it has to be actually not aids (see: Specs Gyarados is aids) and it must have some sort of practical use i.e what does your set do that the standard doesnt? Does it beat its checks and counters? Is it still useful throughout the match outside of being a one turn gimmick? etc. The reason i said this is cos i remember posting something like this way back in the day and it descended into essentially "you guys suck my specs Medicham could kill you all" lol.....

Smogon movesets are fine, but please avoid posting common ones.

...or people copy and pasting from smogon. :P

Also your CB Ferrothorn wants Knock Off in that last slot cos its sexy. :)

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • unfortunately i am hardly the innovator, but when i threw together a bad team to give hupa a run with, i led with this landorus-t (which had as far as i know been a thing for awhile now) and quite liked the results:

landorus-t @ earth plate
    trait: intimidate
    i don't remember the evs and nature but i know it had hefty (probably maximum) atk investment and enough speed to at least beat stuff like jolly bisharp, maybe a little more for exca idr
    - earthquake
    - stone edge
    - stealth rock
    - swords dance

very straightforward set. knock off is perfectly usable over sr or even stone edge, but the team i was running was talon weak enough so stone edge was a must. besides the surprise factor, a lot of teams just really can't take strong ground attacks very well at all now that its big incarnate brother is out of the tier. its issues are predictable enough but despite it being an easy rk target for numerous mons, it tends to get free turns b/c people think lando can be a free turn to set up hazards, when lando-t can kinda mow down hippowdon/ferrothorn/tankchomp etc. it was especially useful for "he is obviously gonna lead with chomp, im just gonna get a free hit on it" scenarios.

idk if this counts as underrated but it's certainly usable etc etc.

otherwise, i can't think of much unusual that i've been running lately, rip. i did run sd zard x for a bit but usually was longing for dragon dance except in very specific match-ups like slowbro.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • In UU I use Roserade. I dont know how common this set is, so sorry if this isn't very original. The set works perfect with my team and it functions well:

Roserade @ Life Orb
    Nature: Modest
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EV's: 252 sp. att/252 speed/4 hp
    Substitute
    Leaf Storm
    Giga Drain
    Sludge Bomb

Functions well as a wall breaker, destroying bulky water and ground types that threaten my team. Modest nature is for extra firepower + I already have enough speed in my team for a nice clean-up late game. I run substitute because it works ok with giga drain and it allows me to pick off defensive threats. Leaf Storm for wall breaking of course.

The set is different because substitute is less common (I have 2 fire mons and fire coverage on another mon, so HP Fire is unnecessary) as well as the lack of spikes/toxic spikes.

2Fruit

Aka 2Fruit
    Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2019
    Serperior @ Leftovers
    Ability: Contrary
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Leaf Storm
    - Substitute
    - Leech Seed
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Subseed Serperior. This thing often forces switches, giving it the oppurtunity to set up substitute. This lets it sap the opponent's health easily, whitling down opponents that would otherwise beat it like Heatran. Also annoys the @%$() out of people.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • Heyyyyyyy now this is a cool surprise of a thread, I'll throw this in here as my conribution- for now, heh more maybe later.

Lickitung @ Eviolite, doing that doubles harassment/trapping and hit sponging
    Careful Nature
    EV's: 252 Def 252 Sp Def
    Bind
    Toxic
    Rest
    Sleep Talk

Eviolite Lickitung's bulk is real with full defensive investment, and while it lacks protect and bears a fighting weakness it has enough staying power, especially with rest to hang around far longer than it needs to be allowed to by any opponent. Toxic limits things lifespans and provides chip damage that can help teammates who bear offensive options and spread moves, BIND - makes the toxic damage absolutely withering, melting things in a matter of turns - as well as trapping them and preventing switches. Rest-talk is self explanatory, and allows it to potentially trap things while sleep still. It's dangerous to ignore and sponges hits decently well if you want to focus on it.

Years
  • Something I've been toying around with in my mind for doubles, going to start breeding for it and see if it actually works:

Chansey @ Eviolite
    Bold Nature
    EVs: Undecided, considering 252 HP / 252 Speed / 4 sp atk.

-Softboiled
    -Aromatherapy
    -Skill Swap (?)
    -Toxic / Seismic Toss

Shuckle @ Leftovers
    Calm Nature
    EVs: 252 Def 252 Sp. Def

-Guard Split
    -Power Split
    -Swagger
    -Protect

By now you probably realize where I'm going with this. At this point, I'd lead with Chansey and Shuckle, have Shuckle perform Guard Split with Chansey and have Chansey become a monster tank.
    I think this set up would be fine as is, but I was thinking of adding another layer to it. It's probably too much and unnecessary, but testing exists for a reason, don't you think?

So now that Chansey has a massive bulk of 168 Def and 118 Sp Def base, boosted up to 232 Def and 177 Sp Def by Eviolite in base stats, I was thinking to add Wonder Guard to her defences by having Shuckle switch out for Shedinja (provided the enemy doesn't check it) and Skill Swapping Wonder Guard from Shedinja over to Chansey.

This comes with two problems:
    1) Taunt
    Taunt can easily counter my entire setup. A Taunt on Shuckle in the first turn and a Taunt on Chansey in the second completely negates any tactic I want to go for. And since Prankster Taunters are pretty common in doubles, and my entire set-up is very telegraphed (anyone knows what's going to happen if they see Shuckle/Chansey out) makes it easy to counter.

2) Shedinja
    Not saying Shedinja is THE problem, but it's the fact that he will be useless without Wonder Guard. I'm essentially playing with only three out of four Pokémon. He also shares bug type with Shuckle, so if the enemy decides to use a Rock Type move on my switch in, Shedinja is gone. Hence I'm wondering if it's even worth Skill Swapping Wonder Guard.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • Something I've been toying around with in my mind for doubles, going to start breeding for it and see if it actually works:

Chansey @ Eviolite
    Bold Nature
    EVs: Undecided, considering 252 HP / 252 Speed / 4 sp atk.

-Softboiled
    -Aromatherapy
    -Skill Swap (?)
    -Toxic / Seismic Toss

Shuckle @ Leftovers
    Calm Nature
    EVs: 252 Def 252 Sp. Def

-Guard Split
    -Power Split
    -Swagger
    -Protect

By now you probably realize where I'm going with this. At this point, I'd lead with Chansey and Shuckle, have Shuckle perform Guard Split with Chansey and have Chansey become a monster tank.
    I think this set up would be fine as is, but I was thinking of adding another layer to it. It's probably too much and unnecessary, but testing exists for a reason, don't you think?

So now that Chansey has a massive bulk of 168 Def and 118 Sp Def base, boosted up to 232 Def and 177 Sp Def by Eviolite in base stats, I was thinking to add Wonder Guard to her defences by having Shuckle switch out for Shedinja (provided the enemy doesn't check it) and Skill Swapping Wonder Guard from Shedinja over to Chansey.

This comes with two problems:
    1) Taunt
    Taunt can easily counter my entire setup. A Taunt on Shuckle in the first turn and a Taunt on Chansey in the second completely negates any tactic I want to go for. And since Prankster Taunters are pretty common in doubles, and my entire set-up is very telegraphed (anyone knows what's going to happen if they see Shuckle/Chansey out) makes it easy to counter.

2) Shedinja
    Not saying Shedinja is THE problem, but it's the fact that he will be useless without Wonder Guard. I'm essentially playing with only three out of four Pokémon. He also shares bug type with Shuckle, so if the enemy decides to use a Rock Type move on my switch in, Shedinja is gone. Hence I'm wondering if it's even worth Skill Swapping Wonder Guard.

Hey just a heads up, and I'm fairly certain this is accurate, if you use guard split on a pokemon holding an eviolite, it divides the defense between the two after the modifications of eviolite. Not splitting the base then applying eviolite's 1.5 x afterwards. So your Chansey's Def would just go from its natural defense after eviolite, to the mean between that and shuckle's, and not get the 1.5 again from eviolite on top of that.

Years
  • Hey just a heads up, and I'm fairly certain this is accurate, if you use guard split on a pokemon holding an eviolite, it divides the defense between the two after the modifications of eviolite. Not splitting the base then applying eviolite's 1.5 x afterwards. So your Chansey's Def would just go from its natural defense after eviolite, to the mean between that and shuckle's, and not get the 1.5 again from eviolite on top of that.

Hmm, I'll have to look into this then. I was fairly sure Guard Split simply switches the base stats, after which Eviolite recalulates them.
    Going to look into this some more, thanks!

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I'm developing a bulky Garchomp for Doubles, it hasn't been priority so it's still in the works but this is the general idea of it:

Garchomp @ Assault Vest
    Adamant
    Rough Skin
    EVs: 252 Atk / ???
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - ??? (considering Stone Edge for Rock-type power, Poison Jab/Iron Head for Fairy-type coverage, also... idk)

I still need to do some damage calcs to determine the rest of the EVs to see how much it needs in what stats to survive specific attacks. Anyway, it's quirky and I'm trying to work with it, so we'll see.

Also, I have this Clefairy that's pretty standard but it has a few little quirks, as well.

Clefairy @ Eviolite
    Bold Nature
    Friend Guard
    EVs: 236 HP / 212 Def / 60 SpDef
    - Dazzling Gleam/Icy Wind
    - Heal Pulse
    - Follow Me
    - Protect

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • Back when I was running Mega Alt/Mence in VGC this was the Support Lucario that I used to sponge Ice Beams and Stone Edges, scare off unwitting Sylveon, and put pressure on Sand teams.

Lucario @ Chople Berry
    Ability: Steadfast/Inner Focus
    EVs: 252 HP / 28 SpA / 228 SpD
    Careful Nature
    - Vacuum Wave
    - Follow Me
    - Protect
    - Helping Hand

Helping Hand to compensate for Intimidate and pick up KO's that were otherwise calc'd against. 28 Special Attack EV's allowed Vacuum Wave to OHKO Bisharp, which was important on a team with Mence and Lando-T.

My team for this season so far leans towards goodstuffs so not much to report.

Back