• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Day Three] - What is Your Preferred Gen I Starter?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • [Day Three] - What is Your Preferred Gen I Starter?

In Red, Blue, Green, FireRed and LeafGreen, there are three starters to choose from: Squirtle, Bulbasaur, and Charmander. In Yellow, you start off with a Pikachu instead. All that being said, what was your preferred starter pokemon to use in the games from Kanto? Why did you prefer using that starter over the others, and how has it helped you during gameplay?​

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I always went with Charmander or Pikachu. I'm not sure if I ever tried using Squirtle.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Being that I've only played Yellow for most of my Pokemon career, I did play Blue version via a friend(also had Gold version so I got a taste of Generation 2). Anyways, whenever I played Blue, I typically got Squirtle because 1) It was mascot of version and 2) had decent movepool plus the ability to learn Ice moves that also countered rival's Venusaur. A third reason is that getting a Spearow early on countered your rival's Bulbasaur and made for getting through the early game quite easy.

Overall though I got to go with my Electric Mouse in Yellow. Knowing a STAB move from the start combined with an advantage over early route Flying Types(and Double Team + Thunderbolt) made for an interesting adventure(even if you couldn't evolve it).

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • I usually went with Mewtwo after I had learnt to change the starter. Before that I went with Bulbasaur or Pikachu.

Last edited:

Midnight Umbreon

Life is a conundrum of esoterica
    Years
  • Charmander every time. In FR it learned metal claw really young, and in red... Well, it's the mascot.

Years
  • I don't have preferred starter. I always go with the one I feel like starting with. I started with Charmander for many Challenges this year just for its Flying ability, but I plan on using Bulbasaur for my next playthrough. I also used Squirtle in my last run of Fire Red.

I feel like all of them are good enough to use in Kanto.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • Bulbasaur is my favourite in terms of how cute it is, but I choose Charmander most of the time since I prefer Charizard over Venusaur. :b

Back