• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Delete an older move, to make room for ____?"

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Your Pokémon just leveled up, and oh look - it wants to learn a new attack!

A new attack that's fairly epic, by the way.

Problem is that it's moveset is already awesome, and works really well. D:

Do you get stuck, and stare at the screen for a few minutes, torn over which move to delete, and calculate things to the max? Do you just easily erase a move without caring, or maybe you just skip learning the new attack altogether?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Depends on what I have planned for the final moveset! If it's a really good placeholder, I'll probably take it, til I get the move that I want in the final set. This usually isn't much of a dilemma for me. XD;

vudw

Nocturnal Insomnia
    Years
    I'm always under the impression that I'll be changing the moveset in the future to fit something else and keeps things a bit fresh, so I tend to replace a move whenever I can. It's a nice reassurance knowing I can use Heart Scales to relearn past moves. :3

And in B/W and the reusable TMs, I tend to replace TM moves, then reteach TMs to avoid messing up current movesets~

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    This would be one of the most difficult moments I had to deal with when it comes to that. When a Pokemon has an amazing moveset, and all of the sudden it learns another epic move, I have to make sacrifices. I only eliminate the move that I used less, and make room for that epic move recently learned. That way, I'm good, and so is the Pokemon I was using. ;)

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
    Years
    I can usually decide very quickly what the best move is for my Pokemon at the time. If I end up making the wrong decision, I either reteach it with a Heart Scale (or in B/W's case, TMs as well) or I just make do with what I have. Things usually work out for me in the end. :3

Cathar

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    I'm not giving this half as much thought as I used to.

With reusable TMs and more or less unlimited Heartscales in B&W, no move is lost forever.

Back in the day in Red, I often stared at the screen for ages before deciding.

It was especially annoying when you had a useless HM move you couldn't get rid of...

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Normally, it's straight to Bulbapedia to try and work out if the move is actually better than anything else in the Pokemon in question's arsenal, as - especially in Gen V - I don't know a lot of what all the moves mean in general/physical and special divide and all that stuff. If I don't have access to the internet, normally I'm my risk averse self and just play it safe. As many people have already pointed out: thank god for Heart Scales!

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Bulbapedia? that's a new one. Never heard of anyone wiking the move sets when deciding.

Not that it's a bad idea at all. xD

I do the same thing as Meganium90, I just sacrifice if the move is good enough, and usually delete a move that I notice I'm not using much. No point in having it sit there when it could be replaced. Unlike a lot of people, though, I don't bother with Heart Scales.. like.. ever. o_O

angel

Kairi's Nobody
    Years
    It depends on what the Pokemon's moveset is and what the new attack is. If I feel that the new attack is better then one of the already known attacks I'll switch them. I usually look at the decription of the new asttack and then look at the descriptions of the moveset.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Bulbapedia? that's a new one. Never heard of anyone wiking the move sets when deciding.

It's less a novel idea and more an example of my complete ignorance when it comes to moves and what they do. Gen I-II moves I know pretty much off by heart, but anything above I have a hard time remembering, so every time a member of my team learns something new, I pretty much go there by default as I have no clue of its meaning!

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I usually don't have much trouble deciding, but... damn, Daikenki's moves are all things I would use and they're good and I want more than 4 slots because I can't decide. ;-; But I think that's the only Pokemon I've ever had trouble deciding with.

Years
    When it is just for going through the game, I will just go off face value. However, if it is me training up a competitive team, I already know what moves I want it to be, so I just go by that, because I have already researched them to the max! XD​

blue

gucci
    Years
    Yup I always get this, and another problem is if I have a HM which you can't delete which becomes very irritating and makes me want to goto the Move Deleter that instant.
    I also if I my Pokémon doesn't want to learn a new move I click the wrong thing I can't remember what the phrases are but it repeats the sentance again asking if I want to learn the move

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011

I do as well; today I was on the bus and didn't have my comp handy so had to go through my phone. Found out that the app I use for wikipedia (wapedia) also has a pokemon wiki. super useful.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I usually stare at the screen blankly, weighing its old attacks and the new ones, before eventually coming to a decision. Fortunately, I have a stock of Heart Scales at the ready in case I later regret teaching the move, or if I have to delete another good move for it.

Daikenki

Water Trainer
    Years
    If it sounds good, I'll delete a move to use it. If the move has more attack, more accuracy, and has no side effects to the pokemon using it, chances are it's going to replace a really crappy old move.I know what most moves work with anyway. Not because I google it or anything. I've learned from my mistakes. I do make sure that one pokemon always has one powerful move that can turn them into a sweeper easily. So as long as they have that one move, everything else can be changed and I could care less.

I guess I'm not very strategic.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    If that move is part of my planned moveset for that Pokemon, I'll replace one of my lesser-used moves with that. Other than that, I don't make my Pokemon learn the move if I think it's not that useful.

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years

I do the same actually xD Bulbapedias an incredibly useful tool :3

I usually just weigh up its accuracy and power/effect against the old moves and take it from there. There's nothing more annoying than a HM move sitting there that can't be deleted :/

The only move-replacements I have ever been totally certain of straight off the bat are ones that are the more powerful version of another: i.e. Absorb ->Mega Drain ->Giga Drain.

Back