• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Describe your ideal Pokemon game.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Auto-repel.
    Current EXP share.
    No HMs.
    Fun battle facility.
    Good music.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • I've noticed we don't have fully defence-based legendary(aside from Def Deoxys, of course.). It would be interesting to see one.

ElCabron

Su Cabronito!
    Years
  • Following pokemon is indeed great. I didn't think it was something 'till I actually played HG. Then it was a lot of fun, something I didn't expected.
    And what Alfieri said too.

PS: On top of that, I'd prefer sprites over models all the way. I hate the way X/Y/OR/AS look.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    My ideal Pokemon game would have many of the features HG/SS had, such as Walking Pokemon, the Safari Zone decoration, GB sounds, the Pokeathlon and Cameron the Photographer. I'd like these features to be improved on and expanded, such as maybe incorporating Pokemon-amie to the following Pokemon.

What I'd also like to see in a Pokemon game is choosing your own path, not limited to being a trainer. It would be great if we could be a Coordinator, a part of an evil team, maybe even a Pokeathlete or a Pokemon Ranger. Basically something like Skyrim. :p

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    My ideal Pokemon game would have a gripping plot with plenty of twists (not Pokemon B/W, the plot wasn't much of a step up).
    - It would do away with the current "obtain 8 badges to defeat the elite four while stopping bad guys" plot thing.
    - The Pokemon introduced have to memorable even if I don't like them.
    - The main characters, rivals, etc. must have good designs and actually have diverse personalities.
    - Trainers need a level scaling algorithm so over/under leaving won't be an issue. Also modify trainer's Pokemon's held items, movesets, IVs, EVs, Natures, etc. Also reduce type themed teams appropriately as it too easy to sweep through gyms.
    - Nice, clean presentation including a good opening (first impressions count), the introductory professor sequence being reduced to name and gender selection, good use of 3d cut scenes, with the music and graphics not being reduced in quality.
    - Get rid of HM moves as necessary for traveling the over world.
    - Add multiple save files.
    - Add further customization (stature, more default playable characters, etc.)
    - Give the players difficult choices that drastically affect the outcome of the story, your goals, the characters you meet, the Pokemon you encounter, romance, etc. (branching plotlines). This is so every player receives a unique experience from the game. Also adds replay value, extends trading as a way to catch them all, etc.
    -Make the maingame longer because post games are always barren and boring and include many sidequests.
    I don't see why Game Freak can't incorporate these. They likely have a high budget due to how successfully Pokemon games sell. Even the advance plotlines could be incoporated as most younger children spam the A button while more older people could enjoy the good plot. The concept of catching and battling with Pokemon is simplistic enough to draw younger audiences but is flexible enough to allow a real plot. As Pokemon is right now, I can't get motivated enough to play a game. The only reason I even pick a Pokemon game these days is for Japanese reading practice.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Black/White 2 with the current XP share and following Pokémon. I need nothing more.

Or at least a game like that: good story, lengthy post-game, the works.

Years
  • Would like to see more mature themes for Pokemon games like betrayal, corruption or death, not in a negative way, but in a creative way so as to deliver a good plot... cause almost all of the pokemon games revolve around fighting a crime organization and becoming the pokemon champion which makes it monotonous and repetitive.

Would also like to see the good features of HG/SS to be brought back such as the bug catching contest, pokemon walking beside you, and chance to revisit previous regions.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2016
    My ideal Pokemon game:
    • Introduces many Pokemon with attractive designs AND competitive usefulness. No more rehashed Raticates and Pikachus (although I admit while some of those are pretty cute, they are relatively worthless.) Wouldn't it be nice if you saw a leaked Pokemon design, loved it, and wondered "I wonder what role in competitive battling it will have" instead of worrying "I hope this Pokemon isn't completely terrible so I can at least battle my friends with it."
    • Has an alternative to HMs. Like, a boat service to get across bodies of water, an item so you can push/pull boulders out of the way, etc., Alternately, HMs could be completely eliminated. Instead, Pokemon have the innate ability to perform certain tasks (Pokemon with wings can just fly, you know?)
    • Has only a few (less than 5) legendary Pokemon.
    • Introduces new evolutions for Pokemon of previous generations (NOT mega evolutions.) Or it could update the stats of some older Pokemon to make them more usable (Delcatty's stats are a tragedy. If it didn't have such shitty stats, it might be worth something in battle with it's awesome Wonder Skin ability!)
    • Allows for one select Pokemon to follow you around outside of its Pokeball.
    • More post-E4 activities. I want to be engaged in this game until my team reaches level 100!
    • Decisions. If there were a few decisions we could make in regards to the story that create a different outcome, Pokemon would have replay value without doing a challenge like Nuzlocke.
    • Takes place in a region modeled after BC, Canada down to Washington state. Or just anywhere that has a lot of dense forests, some snow, and tons of rain!
    • Introduces at least one Pokemon of the dual types not released yet (Fire/Fairy and Ghost/Fairy please!)
    • Challenges the player more. A notable level gap between you and gym leaders. More puzzling caves (like, harder to navigate, easy to get lost.) No Exp. Share until after the main game is complete (I don't want it to be removed completely. It's invaluable when leveling up Pokemon post-game.)
    • Longer songs. The music in Pokemon games is average to good, but the songs are always short so the music becomes very repetitive. I find myself muting it a lot. I'd love if there were some songs that lasted about 5 minutes before looping.
    • Deeper characters. I'm not asking for every character to have a page long backstory and 10 minutes of dialogue at every encounter. But did no one else think that your crew in X/Y (Shauna, Tierno, Trevor) didn't have enough dialogue to warrant their existence in the game? It's like you met them and got a small insight into their interests, but you don't really know them. Bianca and Cheren at least talked a little more. I think it would be more interesting if rather than having multiple friends/rivals with shallow interactions, you get one with more appearances + dialogue, that is more involved in your story.
    • A more interesting enemy. Honestly, I would enjoy if there was no evil organization threatening our very way of life, but I doubt that will ever happen. Giovanni and N were both slightly interesting, the rest not so much. I was frequently rolling my eyes at Team Flare, I personally thought X/Y had the sloppiest story.
    • Custom characters. Clothes and stuff like in X/Y! More clothes! And more hair colors! And more hairstyles! (why the hell was there only one shade of brown, and two shades of blond? How many people in Japan are even blond?) I want pink anime hair, darn it!
    • An option to be older. I almost didn't even list this. Your character in Pokemon has always been a child, it probably always will be. But what if there was an option between an adult and child avatar. Or even the same avatar, but an option to put in your age, if only to stop bad guys from calling you a brat and everyone referring to you as a child (because, as an adult who wants to immerse myself in the game as my avatar, it is annoying.)

Years
  • My ideal Pokemon game:
    • Introduces many Pokemon with attractive designs AND competitive usefulness. No more rehashed Raticates and Pikachus (although I admit while some of those are pretty cute, they are relatively worthless.) Wouldn't it be nice if you saw a leaked Pokemon design, loved it, and wondered "I wonder what role in competitive battling it will have" instead of worrying "I hope this Pokemon isn't completely terrible so I can at least battle my friends with it."
    • Has an alternative to HMs. Like, a boat service to get across bodies of water, an item so you can push/pull boulders out of the way, etc., Alternately, HMs could be completely eliminated. Instead, Pokemon have the innate ability to perform certain tasks (Pokemon with wings can just fly, you know?)
    • Introduces new evolutions for Pokemon of previous generations (NOT mega evolutions.) Or it could update the stats of some older Pokemon to make them more usable (Delcatty's stats are a tragedy. If it didn't have such shitty stats, it might be worth something in battle with it's awesome Wonder Skin ability!)
    • More post-E4 activities. I want to be engaged in this game until my team reaches level 100!
    • Decisions. If there were a few decisions we could make in regards to the story that create a different outcome, Pokemon would have replay value without doing a challenge like Nuzlocke.
    • Takes place in a region modeled after BC, Canada down to Washington state. Or just anywhere that has a lot of dense forests, some snow, and tons of rain!
    • Introduces at least one Pokemon of the dual types not released yet (Fire/Fairy and Ghost/Fairy please!)
    • Challenges the player more. A notable level gap between you and gym leaders. More puzzling caves (like, harder to navigate, easy to get lost.) No Exp. Share until after the main game is complete (I don't want it to be removed completely. It's invaluable when leveling up Pokemon post-game.)
    • Longer songs. The music in Pokemon games is average to good, but the songs are always short so the music becomes very repetitive. I find myself muting it a lot. I'd love if there were some songs that lasted about 5 minutes before looping.
    • Deeper characters. I'm not asking for every character to have a page long backstory and 10 minutes of dialogue at every encounter. But did no one else think that your crew in X/Y (Shauna, Tierno, Trevor) didn't have enough dialogue to warrant their existence in the game? It's like you met them and got a small insight into their interests, but you don't really know them. Bianca and Cheren at least talked a little more. I think it would be more interesting if rather than having multiple friends/rivals with shallow interactions, you get one with more appearances + dialogue, that is more involved in your story.
    • A more interesting enemy. Honestly, I would enjoy if there was no evil organization threatening our very way of life, but I doubt that will ever happen. Giovanni and N were both slightly interesting, the rest not so much. I was frequently rolling my eyes at Team Flare, I personally thought X/Y had the sloppiest story.
    • Custom characters. Clothes and stuff like in X/Y! More clothes! And more hair colors! And more hairstyles! (why the hell was there only one shade of brown, and two shades of blond? How many people in Japan are even blond?) I want pink anime hair, darn it!
    • An option to be older. I almost didn't even list this. Your character in Pokemon has always been a child, it probably always will be. But what if there was an option between an adult and child avatar. Or even the same avatar, but an option to put in your age, if only to stop bad guys from calling you a brat and everyone referring to you as a child (because, as an adult who wants to immerse myself in the game as my avatar, it is annoying.)

Great post. I agree with all those points, if all these features mentioned above are in core games then it will make a perfect game. Also there should be :-

1. No paired versions, many(at least few) have got sick of those paired game having legendaries as their main objective.

2. Mature pre and post E4 story. Pokemon has been a childhood memory and we enjoyed the games at that time because of it's story. Now we've become older(at least a high school kid) so we need a good story.

3. No pokemon based on objects. Trubbish, Garbador, etc were lame.

4. Pokemon should feel like pokemon, not playing cards. You use pokemon just in battles and cases of HMs, We should be able to interact with them, play with them, anything you can( not violence).

5. No useless legendary. Gamefreak is making legendaries which are of no use and should stop making them until and unless they have some good role to play in player's journey. Also don't make those legendaries feel like god. Their power are way less than which should be.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • I'm sure many will have been mentioned:

* HM's not needed for the main story - required for post game stuff or hidden areas - like Witchcraft mentioned, a boat service to go across water
    * Better contest - similar to anime - some showing off and some battling too
    * Challenging gym order in what ever order we want - gym leaders Pokemon be at reasonable levels to number badges obtained

Pretty much everything that Witchcraft mentioned too.

My main 4:
    Pokemon Amie! it's still my favorite feature
    Pokemon Following!
    Soaring!
    DexNav!

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • I do want to see a full 3D MMORPG. All regions accessible.

Can mostly be single-player in terms of your own journey, but you interact with players across the world. Catch and train your team, participate in tournaments (akin to typical MMORPG PvP arenas).

You can search for legendary Pokemon across the world. I think scripted global events can be akin to "raids," where numerous players take part in a global crisis with their respective teams. There can be criminal NPC organizations for players to face, since this would be published by Nintendo/Game Freak, letting players pursue a life of crime would be out of the question.

So yeah, TL;DR:

- Completely open world; heavily exploration based (flying, surfing, exploring caves, camping out in the wild, etc.)
    - Occasional or scheduled scripted global events (for story/lore)
    - PvP tournaments (end-game)
    - Frequent player interactions (optional) such as partying up, traveling together, breeding/trading Pokemon, etc.

Cassandra

Transgender Queen
    Years
  • My ideal Pokemon game would be returning to the kind of game GSC was. I want a nice, refreshing rural region with lots of lore and life in it. I'm not concerned with story, I'm concerned with having an adventure. I want to be able to discover new Pokemon and explore new and interesting places at a nice steady pace. I would also like to see Pokemon in their natural habitats, like Aipoms hanging from trees or Carbinks hanging around in caves. I wanna see more of that stuff. I want a Pokemon game that feels more alive and charming than the last two gens have given us.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • Basically put all of the best features from each pokemon game and smash into one very large game with a long story, extra places to explore, more gyms, etc... all with your pokemon following you!

Years
  • Just like anime ,during battle, pokemon can make use of their environment and conditions. For instance if there is battle of an electric type and water type on a lake, then electric type would win as an electric move will boost up charge and as water conducts electricity it would damage the water type. Wouldn't it be great

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    My ideal Pokemon game:

This is my idea of a perfect game but I would add the ability to do the anime contest battling! GO ROLLOUT WATER GUN WARTORTUL!!!!! (My favorite water type!)

Back