• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
  • Fortunately modern printers are much less difficult... most of the time.

Frountaly, the company I work for doesn't print a lot, I only have 4 printers I have to worry about. Only one of them is high usage.

Right now, my designated major is an A.S. in Computer Programming, although my college does offer an A.S. degree known as "Computer Information Administer." I'm not sure which one of those is closer to Information Technology, although when I spoke with an adviser sometime ago, they told me that earning my A.S. in Computer Programming is transferable into the University of South Florida's B.A.S. in Information Technology.

Take the programing, it will be handly understanding how to programs work at a later time, especially if you ever get into scripting (which you should).

Years
  • Take the programing, it will be handly understanding how to programs work at a later time, especially if you ever get into scripting (which you should).
    Considering how much I've always wanted to get into coding, I feel that the courses on my program of study would definitely be excellent to take. And landing into the field of a computer programmer (based on research I did for my Intro to Computers class this past summer) is a well-paying career.

This upcoming semester after winter break, I'll be taking courses on Management Information systems, computer operating systems, introduction to networking, and introduction to UNIX.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Mmm, I studied and took my A+ and Network+ exam a couple of month ago just as something to fall back upon if my planned career goes south, but yeah I could really go for something akin to a Network Systems Administrator if I went to a proper college for it; it looks really interesting. :]

Or heck, maybe Computer Forensics.. *_*

Buoysel

Years
  • Considering how much I've always wanted to get into coding, I feel that the courses on my program of study would definitely be excellent to take. And landing into the field of a computer programmer (based on research I did for my Intro to Computers class this past summer) is a well-paying career.

This upcoming semester after winter break, I'll be taking courses on Management Information systems, computer operating systems, introduction to networking, and introduction to UNIX.
    Be a programmer, trust me. I would much rather be a programmer than a Sysadmin, and I still love being a sysadmin. You will put up with far less ******** programming than you will in System Administration.

Years
  • Be a programmer, trust me. I would much rather be a programmer than a Sysadmin, and I still love being a sysadmin. You will put up with far less ******** programming than you will in System Administration.

To be fair, you'll still have to put up with a lot of it as a programmer... but not as much as a sysadmin would. Well, most of the time, anyway.

Years
  • Well gee, thanks for telling me the negatives of my potential career :P

Then again, I'm sure a lot of the general public thinks that IT knows everything about computers, which in turn can cause people to be frustrated when you tell them you don't know about something.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Welcome to the world of...IT in general, I guess?

I want an even bigger external drive now. Two 1 TB drives aren't going to cut it. Sometimes I wish storage can be easily combined into a single unit in hardware!

Buoysel

Years
  • Well gee, thanks for telling me the negatives of my potential career :P

Then again, I'm sure a lot of the general public thinks that IT knows everything about computers, which in turn can cause people to be frustrated when you tell them you don't know about something.
    Just letting you know what you are getting into. It was a nasty surprise to me. So I am probably going to shift my career a little and get into info sec.

When you are in IT, you are the expert.
    http://youtu.be/BKorP55Aqvg

To be fair, you'll still have to put up with a lot of it as a programmer... but not as much as a sysadmin would. Well, most of the time, anyway.
    Maybe the grass just appares greener on the other side of the fence?

Welcome to the world of...IT in general, I guess?

I want an even bigger external drive now. Two 1 TB drives aren't going to cut it. Sometimes I wish storage can be easily combined into a single unit in hardware!

8TB Hard Drives? And have you heard about Storage Spaces for your existing problem?

Years
  • I'm probably getting another external hard drive for Christmas. I haven't backed up my desktop in so long (my current external hard drive is near full), and my laptop and server need backups.

Buoysel

Years
  • I'm re-entering the CS field, hopefully gonna finish a masters by 27 ;-;
    I figured it might be a lot less... reading than Neuroscience

Best of luck to you, post back here if you find intersting stuff. Always looking for good stuff to read.

I'm probably getting another external hard drive for Christmas. I haven't backed up my desktop in so long (my current external hard drive is near full), and my laptop and server need backups.

I use Google Drive for my personal file backup. I redirect all of my folders into google drive so anything I save is instantly backed up. I don't actually back up the OS. I can just reinstall it if I need to.

Buoysel

Years
  • Reinstalling an OS is an absolute nightmare for me. I customize every single little thing.
    Anyone else computer-neurotic?

You should look into creating an image. WDS is magic. I am sersily thinking about setting up a home lab with a WDS server just to make any and all future install easier. I need more disk space and another physical computer to do that though.

You can avoid double posting by not using the quick reply box on threads with lots of posts (like this thread). Just an FYI.

Years
  • Hmm, I wonder how large a system image would be for my desktop. If it's less than 80 GB, then I could definitely fit it inside the other hard drive inside my desktop :P

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    8TB Hard Drives? And have you heard about Storage Spaces for your existing problem?

I'll look into that, but I do prefer single-drive solutions.

(Maybe I really should switch to 3.5" drives, but I don't think any of them can run off USB power alone, right?)

Buoysel

Years
  • I'll look into that, but I do prefer single-drive solutions.

(Maybe I really should switch to 3.5" drives, but I don't think any of them can run off USB power alone, right?)

No, 3.5" are too power hungry. They also use 12v, whereas the 2.5" use 5v, which they get from USB. It is theoretically possible to power a 3.5" HDD over USB 3.0. There is enough amperage there.

Years
  • Does anyone know how to this kind of 'e': é (I just copied that from the main page :P)
    btw, I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate.

Thanks =)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back