• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsutarja

I'm not a PayPal user myself, although I have heard that international transactions are smoother through PayPal rather than through directly to your bank/credit card provider.

Years
  • Well, here's a retro blast for your day:

Spoiler:

Welcome to 2005!
    My god, that takes me back to elementary school. Until my elementary school got Windows XP computers, all computers across the school that weren't in offices (or the media center) ran Mac OS 9. I remember the day the Macintosh computers (and iMac G3s) were taken away to be fully replaced with XP, and I was kinda sad.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Part of me wishes I could sell off my older devices that I don't really use...

This makes me wondering if it's weird if I keep my old devices, then, because usually I'll keep them as part of my old memories, even my old phones (most of them, since my first phone was lost before I bought the replacement).

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • A few hours ago I first set foot into writing for the Windows API, in C... it's been awful to look at but I'm about a third of the ways through runtime debugging.

So far, my consensus is it's ugly, but it works.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    A few hours ago I first set foot into writing for the Windows API, in C... it's been awful to look at but I'm about a third of the ways through runtime debugging.

So far, my consensus is it's ugly, but it works.

There's a very good reason why you get a template library or code in C# instead if you're doing Windows desktop programming. Both are miles better than the raw Win32 API.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
  • There's a very good reason why you get a template library or code in C# instead if you're doing Windows desktop programming. Both are miles better than the raw Win32 API.

My clientéle will more often than not be without access to the .NET framework, not to mention people don't make templates for the type of application I'm writing. I can't divulge too many details, but I haven't hit any major roadblocks... yet. I'll cross my fingers.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    My clientéle will more often than not be without access to the .NET framework, not to mention people don't make templates for the type of application I'm writing. I can't divulge too many details, but I haven't hit any major roadblocks... yet. I'll cross my fingers.

Oooh, that now sounds interesting. Have fun! (and check out code examples for Little Programs...the thing that only needs to do one thing to show how a given piece of code works...on Raymond Chen's blog, The Old New Thing.)

Years
  • I would love to be a sysadmin, but I still need to complete college before anybody could let me be one, or at least have knowledge on how to be one :P

Alexander Nicholi

Years
  • I'm a sysadmin for a whole lotta nothing of a server. It's a box I use for wgetting things like JPEGs my slow connection screws up and large downloads I want to relay for safety and things, and also HTTP ofc. It's a system, I'm it's admin... what level of systems administrator are you looking for?

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • what level of systems administrator are you looking for?

Just curious if anybody else here was in to IT Professionally.

I'm a Sysadmin for a small company. I mange 2 Hyper -V hosts, 20(ish) VMs, and about 35 physical machines.

Years
  • IT is the field I'm hoping to get into once I graduate from college. I'd love to work in IT with just an Associate's degree, but I don't think that'd be possible by the time I'd graduate; I'd probably need a Bachelor's at least.

Buoysel

Years
  • IT is the field I'm hoping to get into once I graduate from college. I'd love to work in IT with just an Associate's degree, but I don't think that'd be possible by the time I'd graduate; I'd probably need a Bachelor's at least.

You can get your foot in the door with an AAS. That's what I did. I still only have an AAS, though I really want to continue on and get a BS, I just haven't had the time or money. I'm finally getting to the point where I might have the money for it towards the end of next year, but by then I very much doubt that I will have the motivation for it.

Having an AAS and a couple of certs will allow you to get a job at a help desk somewhere. It's going to suck, a lot. But it's a hazing process that we all go through. Just because we have to go through it doesn't mean you have to stay there for 7 years. I was only on help desk for a year before I moved up. I also got really lucky that the sysadmin at the company I worked for left and I was able to take the position. While you are in the help desk role, use your free time to study and try to touch on any and every thing.

I think the only real difference between an AAS and a BS in the IT field is how quickly someone is going to become a director of IT. It may not happen at all without a BS. But it also could because the IT field is vastly different from any other field out there. What really matters most in IT is experience and being able to adapt to the new technology that comes flying at you at mach 3.7. Good luck, and if you have any questions let me know. I'll be happy to answer them.

Years
  • AAS is what I've got and I'm working in the field.

The biggest difference between an AAS and a BS is probably the material covered to get your degree. I know I personally didn't formally learn much in the way of coding when going for my AAS, though I did learn quite a bit about Cisco devices and Windows Server management. There are some things that you just must learn on the job, though, no matter whether you get an AAS or a BS. Most schools don't teach a proficiency in using or managing a digital phone system, yet that will often be given to IT/IS as a main responsibility.

If you make connections while going for your AAS, you'll have no problems getting into the field, no matter how friendly or unfriendly your area job market is toward entry level IT.

I am a part of a team of 3 that manages about 160 client PCs at 4 sites , with 14 physical servers that are solely our responsibility (which probably have a total of about 20 Hyper-V guests running between them, though I'm not sure on the exact number) and another 7 physical servers that we assist with managing (4 of which run a total of 14 Hyper-V guests on top of them) that act as automation controllers and are fortunately not solely our responsibility. We are also responsible for maintaining around 60 printers, managing and supporting the digital phone systems at each site (notice that these are not VOIP phones - those would be their own mess), and supporting the 60 or so smart phones on the company plan. That's the major stuff. There's some other stuff, too, but listing all of that would make the list too long.

Buoysel

Years
  • We are also responsible for maintaining around 60 printers
    Ew ew ew ew ew ew. Printers, the unnecessarily, necessary evil.

donavannj said:
    Most schools don't teach a proficiency in using or managing a digital phone system, yet that will often be given to IT/IS as a main responsibility.
    Yep, I knew nothing about PBX or VOIP before I got my job. I'm no expert, but I do mange a PBX appliance. Fun times.

Makes me happy to see I'm not the only one here.

Years
  • What's fun is trying to walk people through setting a printer up remotely.

What's really fun is working with JetDirect boxes as a way to connect an ancient printer to the network.

Okay actually neither of those are very fun at all.

Fortunately modern printers are much less difficult... most of the time.

Years
  • Right now, my designated major is an A.S. in Computer Programming, although my college does offer an A.S. degree known as "Computer Information Administer." I'm not sure which one of those is closer to Information Technology, although when I spoke with an adviser sometime ago, they told me that earning my A.S. in Computer Programming is transferable into the University of South Florida's B.A.S. in Information Technology.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back