• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Ah okay, that sounds amazing then. Gonna have to get one for my PC when I finally upgrade the damn thing. Using XP blows.

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
    Years
  • They do.

It's called high-end laptops and desktops. :)

You're probably missing a zero.

I don't even believe in discrete SSDs, to be honest. I prefer the user-level simplicity of Seagate's SSHDs and Adaptive Memory, since as far as the user, operating system, and software are concerned, it's a single disk drive. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Pretty much all MacBooks and Ultrabooks these days have SSDs, and I don't see a reason why they should replace it for HDDs.
    An SSD is much lighter, much faster, much more reliable, but also much pricier.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Pretty much all MacBooks and Ultrabooks these days have SSDs, and I don't see a reason why they should replace it for HDDs.
    An SSD is much lighter, much faster, much more reliable, but also much pricier.

That still leaves normal laptops and desktops which could use a speed boost. :)

And as you have said, cost is actually a consideration by users.

I won't call SSDs more reliable, to be honest. It depends on your definition of "reliable", of course, and given proper use, both should last equally long.

(I don't really expect long life expectancies for storage media in general. I have encountered dead flash-based media...)

Last edited:
    Years
  • Yeah, but can Windows boot from an SSHD as fast as from an SSD? I mean, the only reason I can see someone adding an SSD to their PC is to have the SSD as their OS drive, and then use the HDD as a master drive.
    That was pretty much the setup I was planning to have when I got my current desktop up and running with Windows 7 earlier this year.. except I opted out of it and went with HDD only because of the price.

Ah okay, that sounds amazing then. Gonna have to get one for my PC when I finally upgrade the damn thing. Using XP blows.
    At least you're on a computer and not a 3DS, so be glad that you have a full-fledged keyboard and a mouse for now.. :) other than that, hope all goes well with your upgrades!

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Fair enough. XD
    Upgrade wise I'm not even close to the spending stage, but I do have a basic line up of components that I need:
    -Gigabyte Z87
    -GeForce GTX660
    -Corsair Vengeance 4GB DDR3 ram x2
    -i5 4670

It comes out to about 600 euros, with another 100-150 for an SSHD(which you guys made me consider, thank you very much). I already have a case for all this, no need to get someone to build it, I learned that from my father. All in all, I expect mid-range graphics from the thing, and for it to last me a good 3-4 years, with ram increases being my only change. Thoughts?

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    It comes out to about 600 euros, with another 100-150 for an SSHD(which you guys made me consider, thank you very much). I already have a case for all this, no need to get someone to build it, I learned that from my father. All in all, I expect mid-range graphics from the thing, and for it to last me a good 3-4 years, with ram increases being my only change. Thoughts?

Looks pretty nice when you consider what I'm relying on :)

Hmm... seeing as SSHDs are really fast compared to even the mightiest of 3.5" consumer mechanical hard disk drives (i.e. Western Digital VelociRaptors), well... what does that mean for it?

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    That until the SSDs become as cheap as HDD's, they're the future, at least for the next 10 years.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I mean, the WD VelociRaptors. Consumer 10,000 RPM HDDs.

Getting smoked by a 5400 RPM notebook drive must have been embarrassing.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Oh, I had no idea what you were talking about. Now, sure I see what you mean. Its obvious though, I mean if SDD's are faster, then a hybrid still would go faster as it uses both types advantages.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I'm really enjoying USB 3.0 drives, even with a USB 2.0 port. They still transfer around 35mB per second.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I'm really enjoying USB 3.0 drives, even with a USB 2.0 port. They still transfer around 35mB per second.

40 MB/s is actually about the cap for things transferring via USB 2.0 after factoring in overhead and 8/10b encoding.

I know, right? I particularly love the Seagate Backup+ external hard disk drive that I do own. Powers off a single USB 2.0 or newer port since it's a 2.5" disk drive. USB 3.0 allows the disk drive to attain speeds identical to a current-generation internal 2.5" 5400 RPM disk drive. There's also 1 TB of storage so you essentially never have to manage it.

130 MB/s sequential writes are awesome when you need to do a lot of long, large file copies.

(I do also have a 16 GB Sony USB 3.0 flash drive for times where a full-bore HDD won't work well, though it's a very rare situation. Usually, it involves moving items... and Windows tablets. Still plenty fast for reads at 85 MB/s.)

Oh, I had no idea what you were talking about. Now, sure I see what you mean. Its obvious though, I mean if SDD's are faster, then a hybrid still would go faster as it uses both types advantages.

A hybrid won't really be faster than a true SSD-only solution, but it does have a massive advantage in terms of both cost-per-GB, cost-volume. and GB-volume. They also have a different failure mode compared to SSDs (gradual vs. instant), which may or may not be a good thing. Your drive will continue to work as a regular hard disk drive if the NAND flash area fails. Your drive can still have its contents backed up if the mechanical portion starts to fail.

Last edited:

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
    Years
  • In my opinion, you shouldn't get an as high-end as possible PC, unless you play a lot of games, or use heavy Apps, like Photoshop, Maya, Sony Vegas, etc.
    Getting a high-end PC to play Farmville on Facebook is like robbing a whole Bank, to get yourself a KitKat from a machine.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Wow, deep words. I always keep that in mind when looking for a new compy.

Slight off topic, been browsing PC with my iPhone since 5 am today and I haven't been irritated by it at all. I'm now considering selling my tablet since I practically have no use of it whatsoever.

Years
  • I just got my warranty-void phone back from repair today. They didn't even detect that I rooted it.

When I turned it on, it felt like I was holding an S4 rather than my Ace II x. The temporary phone I got feels so much smaller than my current phone.
    That's good to hear that they didn't detect it was rooted. Is it back working to normal at all?

Years
  • I'm torn on whether I should switch to Nexus 5 from Note II. My desire for new, premium products always kills my wallet. Maybe I can ask my cousin to give me a free samsung phone or something.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    The only premium thing about the Nexus 5 is that screen, and even then 446ppi is overkill. Personally I would prefer the Sony Z1, or even the mini which is coming soon, thanks to the metal body and amazing camera sensor.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I want the Moto X. That's the phone if the year, imo. I have the note 2 right now and it's a really good phone. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back