• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • That's pretty much why I'm avoiding iOS at this point for a phone.. I want to be able to customize my UI without having any restrictings at all. With Android, you can at least check the weather on your home screen without having to open up an app.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • ^ I actually don't mind that, really. xD I get severe weather alerts so there's that as well.

I recently found out how to add ringtones and custom notifications on my iPhone without having to actually buy them. My friend was like "LOL YOU CAN'T DO NOTHIN' ON YO iPHONE" . I have a Luke Bryan song as my ringtone and 40 MLP sounds to choose from on my alerts. It takes time to figure things out. xD

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    My old infuse was 1078 x 700. my iPhone is 640 x 960, 2448 x 3264 with images.

Yo Android, are you listenin'? xD

I honestly can't see how people stare at a 3.5" screen and are OK with it. as you guys know, I am 100% against apple and all of their products xD With that resolution and that small screen, it has to be tiny. Then the lack of widgets and able to customize... oh no.

And just because the camera is better don't diss it. Besides, you had an old ass Android phone lmao

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    iSight isn't even that good(nor is the name, but damn me if I start ranting on Apples asinine naming conventions), compared to some of the other beasts out there. I've seen photos from it, and while the light exposure is better, the detail it offers is still lacking compared to the Z1, the G2 and even the S4.

Years
  • I honestly can't see how people stare at a 3.5" screen and are OK with it. as you guys know, I am 100% against apple and all of their products xD With that resolution and that small screen, it has to be tiny. Then the lack of widgets and able to customize... oh no.

And just because the camera is better don't diss it. Besides, you had an old ass Android phone lmao

Clearly, the iPhone is not a man's phone.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    The iSight cameras are actually pretty good in my personal opinion. While it might not have the megapixel count of the latest camera phone beasts, it still puts up a decent fight. Having an extremely low base ISO helps a lot in detail in bright, sunny conditions, too, since you won't have to do much noise reduction processing, which can destroy detail if not handled properly.

Shame about the lack of control.

On another topic, 4.3" displays feel just right to me. That's the kind of display that feels more like a smartphone and less like an oversize slab. I only wish they made more phones with a display size of about 4.3-4.5". Everyone seems to be going big...

Years
  • My biggest issue with the iPhone is, has, and probably will always be until it is changed, the fact that it only has one button for interfacing with apps. I'm not counting the volume and power buttons as interacting with apps since those should always be standard on any phone.

In troubleshooting them for others, I've found I've always had to exit the running app to get to its settings menu. On most Android apps, you can change most settings from within the program, which to me makes the most sense.

Well, that and the physical size. I mean, my HTC sensation dwarfs most of my coworkers' iPhone 5S phones.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    My biggest issue with the iPhone is, has, and probably will always be until it is changed, the fact that it only has one button for interfacing with apps. I'm not counting the volume and power buttons as interacting with apps since those should always be standard on any phone.

Speaking of buttons, I like the setup Microsoft mandates in all but the lowest-end Windows Phone 7.x phones: in addition to the standard volume and power buttons, you have to have a Back button, a Start button (cue "I hit the Start button and I got booted out of the game I was in" - thankfully Windows Phone is much better than Windows at handling task-switching for games), and a Search button, and you have to top it with a two-stage camera shutter, just like most digital cameras.

The camera shutter helps a lot in getting a steady shot even without image stabilization, since you can actually use standard photography techniques for stabilizing yourself.

In troubleshooting them for others, I've found I've always had to exit the running app to get to its settings menu. On most Android apps, you can change most settings from within the program, which to me makes the most sense.

It's the same deal for Windows Phone - it's pretty similar to Android, since most apps have their own settings menu, though background processes control can be overridden by the OS if you wish.

Well, that and the physical size. I mean, my HTC sensation dwarfs most of my coworkers' iPhone 5S phones.

I kind of miss the days of small phones, to be honest, but after you've went 4.3"+, who can go back? I can't believe that the iPhones are still rocking a small display, even though their quality is very good and always calibrated.

---

Speaking of Android apps and games, it's a bit funny how the Windows Phone 8.x version of Despicable Me: Minion Rush runs better than Android on equivalent hardware (think obsolete dual-core and 512 MB). DirectX? Standardized hardware?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Pretty much the only reason these days I have for using an iOS device is because of the fact that a majority of apps out there for mobile devices are developed for iOS.. but apps are also becoming more abundant on the Play Store as well :)

Also, not sure on apps for Windows Phone 8, but the main reason I'm going after a Windows Phone is because I really only need a phone that can just browse the internet, give me news/weather, and text/call. I don't really need fancy apps on a phone when I already have both an iPod Touch and a tablet for those.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    One thing I do know, though, is having more apps never hurts when it comes to smartphone platforms.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Yeah, I use greenify root on my Android phone to keep apps under control. It hibernates apps that like to sit on all the time (e.g. Facebook).

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Yeah, I use greenify root on my Android phone to keep apps under control. It hibernates apps that like to sit on all the time (e.g. Facebook).

The strange thing about this is that, well, shouldn't Android OS do all that by itself? Misbehaving applications?

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    The strange thing about this is that, well, shouldn't Android OS do all that by itself? Misbehaving applications?

Its not designed to misbehave, I just prefer it not running all the time.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Its not designed to misbehave, I just prefer it not running all the time.

Well, one thing everyone should know is that there's no need to worry about apps behaving oddly these days.

Both my parents' Android smartphones are loaded with apps and are used as actual smartphones (mostly phone calls, some texting, some Internet browsing, and some Facebook time, with a game or two in between), and even these phones manage to have 70% or more of the battery capacity remaining at the end of the day, despite Wi-Fi and GPS being turned on for the entire day.

Not worrying about apps running amok rings even more true in the world of Windows Phone and iOS, as multitasking is rather... strict.

---

In other news, my laptop's battery has 27.5% capacity loss. Ouch! Time to bring it to a Toshiba service centre and get a replacement battery. You know it's bad news when your system is throwing up battery life warnings.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I've started actually not having mine plugged in all the time hahaha xD Used to have it plugged in all the time.

Years
  • Ever since I've had KitKat installed onto my tablet, it's heated up more easily and it's taken down more battery.. but I'm not sure if I should blame one of my apps or if it's something in the software that causes the battery to lower faster and consume more CPU.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Has it been updated to 4.4.2 yet? Google pushed out some fixes.

Years
  • Has it been updated to 4.4.2 yet? Google pushed out some fixes.
    Yeah, it's on KOT49H (4.4.2) now. Though I didn't get notified on the update, but rather had to flash it. Hopefully when I flashed 4.4 onto the device it didn't cause automatic update notifications to fail :<

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back